Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rear tow eye screws into a threaded square bar that is accessed by removing a small portion of the plastic louvers covering it. Looks like by buying a bolt with matching threads and welding a small plate to it to attach a hitch ball and with a couple holes on the sides of the plate to put the safety chains into, you could tow a small trailer with track tires and some tools. Was at Barber this weekend and there was a small trailer (platform was 4 or 5 foot more or less square) someone had bought at Harbor Freight for cheap, and made a few mods for it to hold his tires and tools. Loaded, it maybe only weighed 400# (?), and he was running about 70# tongue weight, adjustable by putting the tires backwards or forwards on the trailer.

Anyone done this? If so, details please.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, so I did it. Towed it about 8 hours so far.

I wanted to do a tire tail, and cut one of the louvers, but found that I would have had to cut the two small holders that the tow eye cover snaps into, so with hindsight, there is no cutting required. (didn't want to pull the whole grill) I got a 2 1/2" bolt with lock washer to fit into the tow eye mount and welded it onto 1 1/2" black pipe, then a small channel for the ball. I screwed it in tight and marked it for the welder, but he put it together upside down, so we grabbed a rubber washer from our shop and that shimmed it so we could get it tight and upright, and it worked ok on the trip.
We finished the trailer (3 1/2' x 4' Harbor Freight, 12" wheels) later than planned Friday, and when I slid the wheels/tires on, the tires and not the wheels touched the pipe in the center, so I hit the road for the track. As you can see the wheels did touch, the pipe took some paint off, and so I now have them mounted as in the picture. I was planning to pick up some touchup paint, but my warehouse guy put some black marker on them and said it covered real well. The horizontal tube I got was a little too thin on the wall thickness (is about 1/16"), and one side bent down slightly. So I went to a Home Depot near the track and got a piece of steel pipe and slide it inside the tube, so that any sagging will be limited. The holes in the stock wheels are small, so I needed to use 1 1/2" pvc (which is actually 1.6" id, 1.9" od) to work, so I went to a steel fabricator and got a steel tube (not pipe) in 1 1/2" od (regular steel pipe will not work.) so I could slide the 1.5" pvc over it. The Enkei have a slightly larger hole than the stock wheels, but not large enough for 2" pvc (the 2" just slides over the 1.5") to fit into, so I just used the 1.5 pvc and it worked ok, but before my next track trip I want to get a bungee, etc, to hold them straight up and down. My warehouse guy will be painting the tubing/angle assembly black this week. And I might try to build a small platform between the tool box and tires for a couple gas cans. I have about a 9" piece of 2" pvc on the inside then the wheels, then a 1.5" to 3" pvc reducer. I drilled through the pvc and the steel tube for a locking hole. On the stock wheels, I used the reducer plus a short piece of 2"pvc on the outside. Depending on what wheels you have, you can just cut pieces of 2" pvc the right length for the reducer to be tight against the wheel and held with the lock. One thing on the trailer, you have to clean the wheel bearings and pack with a good grease, we used synthetic. After feeling it out, I ran with the cruise on at 75, no problem. Hubs stayed cool. Am out to time now, will plan to post some pics later.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My rationale is that if Nissan designed the tow eye mount to pull a two ton car out of a muddy ditch up a 45 degree bank, it will undoubtedly pull a rolling 500# with hardly any tongue weight. (Mine runs from slightly negative to around 30#).

·
Registered
492 Posts
Here ya go! If you want more details, pm me an email address and I will be glad to send a few more pics.

IMG_5760a.jpg

IMG_5755a.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's so light that you can do just about anything and it rides great. With my stock wheels/tires it has 0 tongue weight, and still rides fine. If you did this on a bigger trailer, it would fishtail all over the place, but this is so small it just sits there. I gradually raised my interstate speed to 75, altho have hit 80 trying to pass/get out of the way-no issues. Here are a few more pics that might help.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Nice, so the 2012+ GT-Rs have a rear tow hook mount? To what is is the mount attached?

·
I'm everywhere.
857 Posts
Awesome thanks for sharing! Definitely need to look into this more.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Post something like this in the Road Racing subforum and only like-minded people will see it. No "cars & coffee" haters. Very nice.

·
Gojira driver
929 Posts
That is cool! A removable hitch, and the trailer design. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am selling the trailer (and hitch) for $800, let me know if you are interested.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Only used it twice, then decided that changing tires at my age and lower back condition was not worth the gain in lap time.

·
Flying Scotsman
88 Posts
Only used it twice, then decided that changing tires at my age and lower back condition was not worth the gain in lap time.
I can relate to this

1 - 17 of 17 Posts