Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Flying Scotsman
88 Posts
After reviewing all the stuff carefully on here, I decided to go with the following option:

1. Mod my 2009's rear bumper to have the 2012 towing eye mount .... this is pricey, but I did not care for jmunjr's setup bolted to the bumper brackets and subframe as it's too heavy and I want something I can quickly remove at the track.

2. Design a better hitch to bolt into there ..... I did not like the setup someone used which relies on indexing thread, and wanted something a bit more robust that could be torque to a specified torque. The entire hitch relies on that one M24 bolt, which isn't a problem as long as you do it up FT (friendly tight). I plan to use about 100-120 lb.ft

A friend of mine who is an excellent welder made up the hitch; I didn't get time to have someone mod the car this month, and this weekend's track day is in Austin anyway =) so trying it out will have to wait.

It's made from 1 tonne rated parts (US 1.25" spec) and I plan to pull around a 350kg single axle trailer with it (8x5 utility trailer with 4 GTR wheels) and put the rest of my gear in the car's trunk. I plan to use a nose weight of 50kg or so on the trailer. If the bumper cannot take this, then it shouldn't be used for pulling a GTR which weighs 1750kg

·
Flying Scotsman
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eric at Boulder Nissan posted details in the previous thread. He says it's a bolt on job (bumper beam and brackets, re-use 09 cover) and the parts are $750-$900 depending on how your order them. The local dealer has agreed to try it, our local GT-R mod shop has a 3 month backlog (go Zohair!). I will not post about it until it's been done successfully to my car

·
Registered
111 Posts
I bought the conversion parts from Eric too. I will post up pics of the swap when I do it sometime his month. I bought the other trailer hitch posted on here and it's built well, but I do like this hitch concept. I will take pics throughout the process. The parts from Eric were cheaper than what's posted above... Give him a call.

Mike

·
Registered
276 Posts
I assume stock 2012 and up cars will work with this since there is already the tow hook mount.
It looks like this is tightened down with a bolt to keep it from rotating.

Any pics of the trailer yet - this is brilliantly crazy for long trips to the track with a bunch of tires/tools etc.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Like your hitch tube design. Should work better than mine. I sold my hitch, but still have the tire/tool trailer for sale. Will try to get pic and price on next post.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Cool design. Wish I had known this option last year..

The cool thing about my hitch is I can put a cargo carrier on the back and drive full speed in California..
Also storing even a little HF 4x6 trailer is a challenge for me since I live in a condo. The parents don't seem to mind me keeping it on the side of the outside of the garage but I have to prop it on its side onto a dolly to get it there. With all the wood I put on it it easily weighs near 225lbs, not an easy thing to move around. Nevertheless I will still use it on longer trips and the cargo carrier on shorter ones...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts