Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do I start ?? OK here it is ...

My car has less than 600 miles on it and a couple of weeks back when I was parking the car the transmission light starts flashing on the dash. The car is now in limp mode and I soon realize that only 1-3-5-R gears are working and I cant go above 30 miles. After checking the fault code with the Access Port we found the error code - 0732.

We then opened up the transmission valve body and found gear no -2 was jammed on Clutch A. Due to this the electronics kicked in going into fail safe mode and switching the transmission to Clutch B with 1-3-5-R only working.

Other observations - The oil was very dirty and was black in color we also found some small pieces of metal and there was a type of black metal paste on the Actuators.

Our first instinct was that this jamming of the gear has happened because of a solenoid failure.

So we tested the signals as per the manual and they were putting out the correct voltage. So we started thinking the worst that maybe some gear was broken inside as we had found some small metal pieces and couple of them looked like tooth and although the gears looked fine from the outside we started to think it may have come from the counter shaft milling or the inner gear teeth....
I had almost lost it thinking I am f**ked.

We then thought it may be the actuators that are leaking pressure and failing to shift the gear selectors. So we removed the actuator pistons and cleaned them properly before installing them back we also found some small metal particle on the inside cover of the solenoids which we cleaned.

After the clean up process we installed the valve body back on the car then I used the Access port to clear the codes and then started up the car there with no codes and system check was OK. I take the car for a drive on Manual mode going through 1-2-3-4-5 .... At this stage we ruled out a broken gear as all were functioning perfect up and down. then try 6 nothing happens for a sec then the transmission light again comes back on going into failsafe mode with gears 1-3-5-R only working. We check the codes and we get-0729.

So we go back into the garage to pull the valve body out to find gear no-6 was jammed. At this stage we were puzzled?? As it was a completely different gear that has jammed. We then started to strip the valve body including the actuators, solenoids and the casing to clean them up and we found quite a bit of dirt which included very tiny metal particles. On closer observation of the pistons on the actuators we found that there was a magnetic strip on the top of the piston head (only on one half )which goes into the actuator sleeve.... This was there for the Gear Position Sensor to read the signal .... now when we installed the valve body into the transmission the first time and aligned it so the gear selectors can lock into them ....these pistons rotate so if the magnetic strip is on the other side of the Gear Position Sensor which it most likely will be - it can't read the signal.

In my case when I selected 6th gear the shift fork has moved it into 6th gear but the gear position sensor has no clue which gear the car is in as the magnetic strip was on the wrong side of the Gear Position Sensor. So again the car has gone into fail safe mode with the clutch B only working 1-3-5-R.

On the correct install of the valve body the car was back with no codes and all gears working fantastically.

Technique on Installation of Valve Body -

Installing the valve body back into the transmission housing has to be done with the magnetic strip on the same side as the Gear Position Sensor - To do this you would need to use a hard copper wire and place it through the valve body holding the actuator piston ( If you look close at the actuator there is a hole in the center for this to be done) so we can insert this wire to hold the piston in place so that the magnetic strip is on the same side as the Gear Position Sensor.

-- I am sure Nissan - or Borg Warner is using a tool like this to install the valve body into the transmission.

BOTTOM LINE IS - THE DIRT AND METAL PARTICLES IN THE TRANSMISSION FLUID HAD CAUSED A BLOCKAGE IN THE ACTUATORS AND THE PARTICLES IN THE SOLENOIDS WERE ALSO AFFECTING THE PRESSURE REQUIRED IN THE SYSTEM THEREBY CAUSING THE ACTUATORS FROM PERFORMING CORRECTLY.

SECONDLY INSTALL THE VALVE BODY CORRECTLY!!

I HOPE THIS HAS BEEN TO SOME BENEFIT TO OTHERS WHO MAY HAVE SIMILAR PROBLEMS.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would also like to recommend that all GTR owners change their Transmission Fluid ASAP. Even if you do use the O.E NISSAN GTR FLUID. I have flushed the system twice with fresh oil and am now using the Audi/ VW - DSG - Transmission Oil. I will replace this with the WILLAL WR35 fluid soon ... I definitely think the NISSAN oil is not up to the task of lubricating the Transmission effectively.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Wow! Great work! This would have been a much better "Plan B" for me in case NNA denied my claim. Certainly sounds like there is a design problem with the tranny/oil combination.

FWIW, I replaced my tranny/diff fluid at around 4K miles and was planning on doing it every 1500-2000 "hard" miles after that. Perhaps this is not frequent enough. The extreme cost of fluids makes it painful to change more frequently.

Here's another theory: Nissan should (for free) do a full fluid flush/replace after first few hundred miles. BMW does this for the M cars. Perhaps most of the wear/damage/dirt is from the initial break-in of the tranny and not from "normal" wear thereafter.

-Chris

·
Registered
838 Posts
Good to hear that you made it through.

Now am really planing on changing my tranny oil every 6000mile, and not 18000mile since am not tracking it. WILLAL is better, but warranty first. unless nissan will allow us to use any.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I know this has been said many many times on this forum but Nissan does NOT have a waiver from the FTC allowing them to do a "Tie-in" sale of the GTR Transmission fluid for our GTR's. Nissan is illegally forcing the GTR owners to use their own branded transmission fluid or your warranty will be voided if other fluid is used. In essence Nissan is breaking a federal Magnuson Moss Warranty act by requiring and CHARGING GTR customers for this Nissan Branded transmission fluid.

Act states that Nissan must have an FTC waiver (Which they do not have and will most likely never attain) or give the fluid out for FREE. Period....

STOP BREAKING THE LAW NISSAN......

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Wow! Great work! This would have been a much better "Plan B" for me in case NNA denied my claim. Certainly sounds like there is a design problem with the tranny/oil combination.

FWIW, I replaced my tranny/diff fluid at around 4K miles and was planning on doing it every 1500-2000 "hard" miles after that. Perhaps this is not frequent enough. The extreme cost of fluids makes it painful to change more frequently.

Here's another theory: Nissan should (for free) do a full fluid flush/replace after first few hundred miles. BMW does this for the M cars. Perhaps most of the wear/damage/dirt is from the initial break-in of the tranny and not from "normal" wear thereafter.

-Chris
I agree 100%. This tranny fluid flush should be free at every POS service. Willall fluid is sounding better and better.

Bish

·
Registered
672 Posts
Great work, congratulations on getting the tran up and running. Did you happen to document the work with pictures?

·
Premium Member
12,530 Posts
Fantastic write up and diagnosis. I think sending this back to nissan would be great.
Yes, that would go over like a wet blanket with those Nissan execs...hehe..they love being told that their end users are craftier and more ingenious than their high paid engineers.

Great result! Congrats! Desperation is the mother of invention.

·
Formerly R35_395
1,073 Posts
Good stuff randy.

This might be the reason mine is still stuck, i am flying to Bangkok today to try to valve body adjustment.
It sounds like it could be the missing link.

I think it is time to take my AP out the box and fire it up.

Hats off to you sir.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Yes, that would go over like a wet blanket with those Nissan execs...hehe..they love being told that their end users are craftier and more ingenious than their high paid engineers.

Great result! Congrats! Desperation is the mother of invention.
haha yeah... I know what you mean but I still think Nissan would genuinely appreciate this data from "the field". Their testing scenario can't cover every possibility so maybe they hadn't seen this yet.

The Nissan execs are surprisingly happy to take on board suggestions.... it's just the one person who decides what to do with those suggestions could be considered a... bottleneck...

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Good show Randy!

Glad you have it back on the road. No more envying your friends :p

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the comments ... Credit also to my mechanic who is a genius with cars -We managed to get this job done in Bangalore - India !! However as a community we need to support each other in trouble shooting problems with our cars ..... considering how NISSAN has been so evasive i.e - no proper response on transmission related faults ...etc

One other thing is there is no detailed break up of valve body and the install procedure in the manual.

Some pics for the record -

·
Registered
637 Posts
randy, in post # 17, the third pic, is that before or after you cleaned the solenoids/actuators? I hope it's after because they look pretty clean...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts