Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard and read all about how people upgrade their GTRs and end up with transmission failures....as I am new to GTR coming from EVO....Should I be worried about my 07 R35s transmission even as stock????
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,530 Posts
By design there are certain parts of the GT-R transmission that WILL fail. It's just a matter of time. There doesn't seem to be any exact formula seperating those who have seen early failures to those who have seen no failures to date. As heacuva mentioned there are a number of cheaper upgrades that will prevent 90% of the potential common failures. The other 10% can be fixed as well, just come at a higher price tag.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
From what I gather the OEM circlips are the first thing to go and don't cost much to replace with aftermarket parts. Either way its cheaper than a new transmission. If you are looking to upgrade to some serious power I'd consider looking into doing something for your differential as well as there have recently been stories of cracked rear diff's VegasGTR seems to be the most experienced in transmission problems so far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
Wow another nice informative thread you guys have here. Should i still worry about these on the 2012? Or did Nissan take care of the problems already?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
Do we still see these problems on bone stock cars? Or maybe lets say a mid pipe but stock tune? Cars that have never been launched? I sound so paranoid, sorry...
 

·
GTR Nerd
Joined
·
5,335 Posts
Do we still see these problems on bone stock cars? Or maybe lets say a mid pipe but stock tune? Cars that have never been launched? I sound so paranoid, sorry...
There are still some inherent problems with the transmission. The GT-R is a heavy, powerful car. It uses the same fluid in the transmission for the clutches, the gear lubrication and cooling, and control. When there are issues, they aren't that hard to fix, but a dealer will go towards replacing a whole transmission than fixing a minor issue.
 

·
AMGfan
Joined
·
2,786 Posts
There are still some inherent problems with the transmission. The GT-R is a heavy, powerful car. It uses the same fluid in the transmission for the clutches, the gear lubrication and cooling, and control. When there are issues, they aren't that hard to fix, but a dealer will go towards replacing a whole transmission than fixing a minor issue.
+1...no different than any dealer. I haven't found a dealer that doesn't have the mantra...REPLACE RATHER THAN REPAIR! It's the easier route and more profitable route the majority of time for them. That is why I like going to indies for non warranty work because at least they give me the option for a repair.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,530 Posts
There are still some inherent problems with the transmission. The GT-R is a heavy, powerful car. It uses the same fluid in the transmission for the clutches, the gear lubrication and cooling, and control. When there are issues, they aren't that hard to fix, but a dealer will go towards replacing a whole transmission than fixing a minor issue.
Just to add to Sean's comment. Dealers consider the GT-R transmission a non serviceable part of the car meaning even a minor issue they will NOT fix. They have to replace the transmission per Nissan's guidelines. They do not even have part numbers for the individual parts in the transmission and the individual parts can not be ordered through Nissan for any reason. This is fine for the user as long as the car is still under warranty. However, if it is not then you could be looking at a hefty bill if you let them perform the work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well since nissan would not be giving a warranty here & in this part of the world where a used r35 costs around 110,000$,its a big risk if i want to go ahead with it....pls advice ppl!
 

·
E63 D1STURBD
Joined
·
1,497 Posts
im so sick of transmission failures, wtf we can go to the moon but we cant build a transmission to with stand a the abuse of a stock GTR. fuck this shit bullshit
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top