Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my question is if I were to buy a 09/10 that I planned to use for occasional track use, but majority on the highway to work. What would you do to the transmission to more or less make it to the point of not having to worry about it shitting itself?

·
GoldMember
1,086 Posts
So my question is if I were to buy a 09/10 that I planned to use for occasional track use, but majority on the highway to work. What would you do to the transmission to more or less make it to the point of not having to worry about it shitting itself?
The tranmission won't "shit itself". It always requires the operator's input to that.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
If you're going to be drag racing the car, you might want to consider a stronger first gear, and probably not use the LC1.

If you're tracking the car (road racing) you might want to consider a after market transmission cooler.

But regardless what you're doing, I'd suggest changing out your oem cir-clips for gear locks, since that's one of the most common failures in the GR-6 Trans.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you're going to be drag racing the car, you might want to consider a stronger first gear, and probably not use the LC1.

If you're tracking the car (road racing) you might want to consider a after market transmission cooler.

But regardless what you're doing, I'd suggest changing out your oem cir-clips for gear locks, since that's one of the most common failures in the GR-6 Trans.

What do the cir-clips + install generally run?

·
Registered
821 Posts
The tranmission won't "shit itself". It always requires the operator's input to that.
That is not true at all unless you are referring to the operator never driving the car

One of the most common failures would be the fwd gear circlip and splines. If this happens it can do a lot of damage and it happens to stock or modified vehicles.

·
Registered
297 Posts
That is not true at all unless you are referring to the operator never driving the car

One of the most common failures would be the fwd gear circlip and splines. If this happens it can do a lot of damage and it happens to stock or modified vehicles.
Pretty much what I'm talking about. Life is too short to driving a boring car all week, and then your nice car on the weekends.

I'd be driving this 3-5 days during the week and all weekend, commutes of 37 miles one way from North Ga into Atlanta.

I'm wanted to know what the recommended upgrade/fixes would be to prevent anything that might crop up for that general use....track use is another story.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Pretty much what I'm talking about. Life is too short to driving a boring car all week, and then your nice car on the weekends.

I'd be driving this 3-5 days during the week and all weekend, commutes of 37 miles one way from North Ga into Atlanta.

I'm wanted to know what the recommended upgrade/fixes would be to prevent anything that might crop up for that general use....track use is another story.
I would then suggest replacing your cir-clips, and change your fluid and filter on regularly scheduled intervals as suggested by Nissan. I have the Cobb A/P with upgraded transmission features, and I also regularly perform a "clutch relearn" every two weeks. It doesn't take more then a couple minutes, and my car always seems to shift and drive much smoother after the relearn. And IMHO opinion, if your car is shifting and driving smoother, your transmission is probably happier too.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Circlips and Dodson Clutch Seals for life would be the biggest two- Most every GT-R that comes in with a inoperable transmission has been a result of one of these two problems. Other than that- The Dodson oil filter, oil pump blue-printing and a full cleaning/service of the transmission would get you set with strong piece of mind.

·
GoldMember
1,086 Posts
That's what I was thinking.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Circlips and Dodson Clutch Seals for life would be the biggest two- Most every GT-R that comes in with a inoperable transmission has been a result of one of these two problems. Other than that- The Dodson oil filter, oil pump blue-printing and a full cleaning/service of the transmission would get you set with strong piece of mind.
As a preventative plan, how much are the parts and labor for you to install the circlips and Dodson seals? How long are these upgraded parts good for?

What additional damage would occur to the transmission if either the factory circlips or seals failed? If this were to happen, how much is the repair cost to upgrade at that point?

Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts