Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Vendor
3,046 Posts
It's that time of the year again!! OLOA! Except this year for OneLap of America we decided to build something just a little bit out of the box. I know it isn't a GT-R and i'm sorry guys! We have won the event with a GT-R 3 years in a row and I wanted to do something a little different this year. I still have a A16 GT-R to rep don't you worry

That said we have been having great success with our V10 Twin Turbo systems and decided we would take OLOA as an opportunity to really put one to the test. That said right after OneLap last year I sat down with Doug and Leh trying to decide what to do next! The consensus was very unanimous... a Red Audi R8 6spd manual was the goal for 2014 OLOA!

If I was to be honest with everyone I did not think it was a reality at the time. Just to start with such an awesome car then modify the heck out of it wasn't something I knew if we could pull of. Nevertheless as the months rolled on the fantasy became more and more a possible reality! So I went on the hunt for the one of 22 Red, V10, 6spd R8s ever shipped into the US! Well last fall I locked one in and purchased a bone stock 2011 R8. I got to drive the car for a couple weeks (I know I was sad) then she went under the knife. The goal was to create the ultimate combination of crazy wild race car look and show car quality in and out! Leh honestly had most of the vision when it came to the bodywork along with Bryson of Classic Livery of Atlanta. Between those two they really designed the look of the car.

The body is modeled off of the Audi R8 Ultra race car only a street going version. We wanted it to be just slap you in the face kick you in the nuts aggressive, which I think we accomplished
We also wanted to work with companies that had proven reputations for quality and performance. I made sure that everything on this car to be the very best it could be! Companies like HRE Wheels, JRZ Suspension, JPM Coachworks, Girodisc Rotors, Brembo, Sabelt, Recaro, Garrett and more were just some of the parts included in this once in a lifetime build.

The bodywork additions to the car are all carbon fiber hand made one off by Classic Livery of Atlanta. These are not fiberglass and bondo!!! Every part is hand shaped to perfection using carbon, from the fenders, to the hood, side skirts and lip it is all one off built right down the street from TSM. I can not explain how impressed and happy with this work I am, it made the foundation of the car so easy to add to in order to create a truly beautiful car. Bryson did an awesome job and is a true artist when it comes to vision and execution.

From there, as I said above, we installed our TSM Bi-Turbo system (TT Kit). We build these kits in house here at TopSpeed Motorsports and are very proud of them! They feature Garrett turbos, Tial WG and BOVs, a custom air to water intercooler/tank design and a custom DME tune from us here at TopSpeed! This particular car will be running a very conservative 6psi of boost for road race power delivery and reliability. I'm very excited to put a professional driver in a car for a week and 5k miles as the ultimate test of our Twin Turbo system! This thing is going to see some serious testing through the next week for sure! Thousands of miles of street driving in all kinds of weather as well as a twice a day flogging on a road course with a professional driver behind the wheel! Should make for some good data and R&D for sure.

With the power behind us (literally) we turned our focus to suspension, brakes, wheels/tires. Suspension and Wheels are an easy decision! The guys over at HRE always come through for us and simply make an amazing product. So we called them up to get a custom set of their S101 3 piece wheels with some crazy wide body offsets machined up. As always we wrapped those in Michelin Pilot Super Sports (PSS) for the ultimate in longevity and grip! So now the car will roll out, looks awesome and has tire to the ground... we gotta get this baby stopped! The Audi R8 already comes with an absolutely awesome caliper from the factory so rotors, pads and lines were all we needed. Girodisc came to the rescue with some awesome 380mm front/ 355 rear full rotor upgrades that look and perform incredible! The pads we have used for the last two years are made by Race Technologies and we have been very very happy with them. Once again Race Technologies came through with an awesome product that we were extra impressed with during testing. The braided lines we had custom made because no one seems to offer them, so no shout out there, but we have them now if anyone needs them LOL

The final touch was the interior! I wanted no stone unturned with this build so I went down to my buddies at JPM Coachworks here in Atlanta to daydream about interior upgrades. Well after a few hour meeting it was decided.... do the whole damn thing! We literally gutted every piece of the interior and custom wrapped it or built new units out of carbon! JPM did an amazing job with Alcantara and Napa leather throughout the entire interior. I also called John Perez at ShadowCraft-Design and had him do all the custom dry carbon parts for me which turned out awesome! I can't say enough about this interior! As you can see in the pictures every piece is fully custom.... dash, headliner, seats, console, wheel, doors.... all of it! I can't wait to get this car back so I can just drive it around a little and enjoy the inside of it.

At the end of it all the finished product was beyond what I had ever imagined! I have to say it has been a true honor to work with some of the awesome people that have made this car a reality. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that this dream build would have been a reality for me. I can't thank everyone enough who have put heart and sole into this one of a kind R8 but from the bottom of my heart thank you to all of you!

So there you have it! That's the car... OneLap of America is the event! Build it, Race it!

The event starts tomorrow so stay tuned for updates.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hot Damn...you weren't kidding when you said you were working on an R8 build. Nice work Cicio and crew!!

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
car is sooooooo sick

·
Front Mount 2500 HP
3,696 Posts
Truly the most beautiful R8 I have ever seen.

·
Vendor
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you guys so much for the kind words

I put a lot of time and effort into this car this year so it's really nice to hear you guys like it.

Sticker day was yesterday so I have some pictures of the car and the other cars. Catesby's car is looking better this year for sure! I love the livery he chose. BobK's car looking good with those blue wheels as always. Enjoy guys... I'll update the thread later today with standings from the wet skid pad.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.