Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hey guys, now that I have decided to go for more power, I am having diffculties trying to decide which way to go first. I am definitely doing both. But I do not have the time and money to do both at the same time.The only thing I am worried is that the engine might fail after installing the new turbo kit since the fatory rods are pretty weak. My car is running around 680bhp on 95Ron at the moment with a few bolt ons. So I would really appreciate it if you could give some advice and suggestion of which one to do first. Thank you.

I am trying to choose which turbo kit to go with. I prefer low end responsive turbo due to the road condition in my country. Alpha 9, GT800, Top Secret BB800.

154 Posts
How are you running 680whp with a few bolt ons?? A switzer P800 package which is turbos and all with exhaust separate runs around 700+ whp and 800 crank. I think you might be a bit off on your wheel power if you have a few bolt ons.

154 Posts
And that's a 25k package installed.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry. I meant 680bhp, engine power.

154 Posts
What bolt ons are you running currently?

154 Posts
Doesn't matter I guess, how much did you want to spend?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would be around 80-90k as I am doing this instead of importing another modified gtr which was my first choice. But, I am still in the process of doing research and saving fund if I end up doing both at the same time.

·
Vendor
3,046 Posts
You can easily run an Alpha9 if tuned correctly for 20k miles on the factory engine. I personally have an Alpha9 car that has been making high 600s WHP for over a year and is still running fine.

The life of the motor is ALL in the tune.

I would say do turbos first then the motor when you can...just keep them conservative.

Hope this helps.

~Cicio

·
Registered
227 Posts
You can easily run an Alpha9 if tuned correctly for 20k miles on the factory engine. I personally have an Alpha9 car that has been making high 600s WHP for over a year and is still running fine.

The life of the motor is ALL in the tune.

I would say do turbos first then the motor when you can...just keep them conservative.

Hope this helps.

~Cicio
Ditto

Run an Alpha 9 / AAM 800 kit on a good tune and then upgrade from there if you want more.

·
Enthusiast
755 Posts
Would be around 80-90k as I am doing this instead of importing another modified gtr which was my first choice. But, I am still in the process of doing research and saving fund if I end up doing both at the same time.
You can do engine, turbos, intercooler, trans and suspension with that much money :p

a 4.0l (bored) could be a great option for low end response.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all your input. My good friend/tuner advise me to do both at once as well. However, I would like to know how long will it take to install the turbo kit? I know that engine needs to be dropped to install turbo kit but if the turbo set up procedure is faster than engine swap, I might do the turbo first. If both jobs take about the same time, then I might as well do both. The reason is that I have to fly in mechanics from overseas to do the job, so unless installing the turbo is faster, I will do all at once at a later time after I have decided on which engine to go with.

·
Vendor
3,046 Posts
Thanks for all your input. My good friend/tuner advise me to do both at once as well. However, I would like to know how long will it take to install the turbo kit? I know that engine needs to be dropped to install turbo kit but if the turbo set up procedure is faster than engine swap, I might do the turbo first. If both jobs take about the same time, then I might as well do both. The reason is that I have to fly in mechanics from overseas to do the job, so unless installing the turbo is faster, I will do all at once at a later time after I have decided on which engine to go with.
You are correct to install the turbos you have to lower the engine. In order to build the motor however you have to disassemble the engine after it is lowered. Never the less if you do it separately you will be paying for about 25 hours of labor twice!

Let me know if you would like me to put it in a detailed estimate for you so that you can see it line by line.

~Cicio

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
i would say this..

You build your engine without doing turbos, your going to want to push your stock turbos more, they are already almost at their limit and even the built engine won't really help much against some heavy detonation.. I'd be safe, do a turbo setup.. run ~675-700whp .. Keep your torque below 700. And you should be fine for a decent amount of time. Save up and get your pistons and rods thrown in the car. You will need them both tho, i had my car tuned around 750hp / 750 trq and my rods were bent when i took them out, luckily my motor didn't blow up or anything but my rods were definitely starting to warp

·
Premium Member
6,565 Posts
The way we work here is we have an engine ready to install when the car arrives. This way the downtime between just doing turbo's or doing both is just about the same. Nobody likes to be without their car and it serves us no purpose to have it here forever and keep from more work coming in.

Eric

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
if you have the money, AMS's quality and history is definitely top notch, and the fact they have a motor ready to go is nice, you try to go other ways to save money and all your downtime may be much greater.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
im also a big fan of boost logic. They do great work as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.