Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as we all know the Bose system leaves a lot to be desired. Beyond not sounding that great, it is also very "tinny".

I have already replaced the sub with my own, and although I do have some kick down low, the highs are something my ears pick up to the point that it bothers me.

Long term, I plan to swap out the door speakers, but that will likely be several months down the road.

So, the question.... Has anyone disabled the tweeters in the door (or maybe the mids) to see if it cleans up the high "tinny" sound that seems to plaugue the cars? Not sure if its worth trying or not and was hoping someone attempted it before me. Maybe a short term fix.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For the record, just disconnected the tweeters. seems to have removed the really high tones that were bothering me. Not seeing any downside at the moment. Will report back after some more seat time

· Registered
1,746 Posts
I can't see how it would sound better disconnected. Part of the problem is the drivers side tweeter is aimed into the dash. A pod or relocating it higher on the dash wound improve the sound

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For me, the problem is with the really high pitch, or tinny sounds. It ultimately ruins the experience when I turn up the speakers. Disconnecting the tweeters seemed to remove that bit of the music for me. You don't miss any voice or music outside of the really high pitches.

Mind you, I am not saying this replaces good speakers in the doors, but when it comes to the Bose system it seems to make it more livable (for me). Ultimately I plan to put some decent speakers in to match my Sub that I already have.

Since it takes 5 minutes to disconnect, its a good test for any of you annoyed by the high pitched sounds.

Your mileage my vary.

· Registered
430 Posts
Turn down the treble instead. I don't see how disconnecting the tweeters would make it sound better as you are losing sound frequence from top of mid bass and up. Your rear speakers will not give you the highs needed up front. If you are doing this, it is like listening to a concert facing backwards.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have. I completely understand this is all personal preference. For me, the highs fro, the tweeters actually hurt my ears. Perhaps I am over sensitive.

The mid speakers in the door come out plenty high to cover for the missing tweeters. (For me)

I have tried putting the treble down and found it muddied the sound worse than removing the tweeter from the equation.

Odd how my ears work I suppose

· Registered
34 Posts
Will bump this thread as I have search the forums and internet endlessly. If I can't find a reply in this thread will start a new one.

Bose system in my 2009 while having the ability to play loud is extremely unpleasant from my experience thus far. It seems as though the highs are way too exaggerated and the midbass is way too strong with no real bass.

I have to turn the both the treble and bass negative which makes the music sound a bit muddy but bearable.

Anyone else have to comment here? Might try yanking the tweeters to see what happens... it's absolutely piercing with the eq set at "0".

· Premium Member
2,119 Posts
How high is the volume being turned up if sibilance is becoming an issue?

· Registered
30 Posts
I agree with a few of the comments in that I don't know why disconnecting the tweeters would make the system sound better. Something you could try is relocating the tweeter to where the mid driver is. I will soon be replacing my Bose 3 way factory speakers with a high quality set of two-way component speakers. I will write a review of my impressions after the build is done.

· Registered
81 Posts
Same here. Could not stand the sound. Very often I have to lower the volume down.

I don't even compare to Honda or Bmw sound. My Cheap Toyota systems, basic Camry +Tundra, still sound better.

:doh: Bose.

I will change system in 1-2 weeks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.