Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
It came down to following three cars. Any comment would be greatly appreciated.

1. 2012 ZR1 - I'm a big fan of American muscle cars and this is the pinnacle of current offerings. I've had 4 corvettes in the past 7 years.

2. 2013 GTR BE - I'm a big fan of GTR ever since it came out in 2008. I've recently sold a heavily modded 2009 after 3yrs of ownership. I missed the Godzilla already.

3. 2012 Carrera S (991) - I'm not a big fan of Porsche but I was quite impressed with new 991 platform after an extensive test drive. It was so good that I placed an order right after the drive.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Well man, it sounds like you've already made up your mind... You've ordered the Porsche

Out of those three, if you want JUST daily driver, keep the porsche you have on order. If you want amazing speed the GTR or ZR1 will do.

The real question is, when you daily drive, will you be racing honda's?

·
Gojira driver
929 Posts
The new 991 is very nice indeed! Congrats on your decision!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Well man, it sounds like you've already made up your mind... You've ordered the Porsche

Out of those three, if you want JUST daily driver, keep the porsche you have on order. If you want amazing speed the GTR or ZR1 will do.

The real question is, when you daily drive, will you be racing honda's?
Dealer ordered a car to my spec however I have the first right of refusal. I'm not obligated to buy the Porsche so the debate continues...

·
Registered
271 Posts
I think if your only looking for a DD, then get the 991. Its going to be a looker, and the ride will be nice. The ZR1 and the GTR is to much power for the streets. When are you going to go pass 65 mph in CA anyway? You'll reach 60 by 2nd gear. The only thing I would hate about driving the ZR1 or 991 is on a raining day. I took my brothers s2000 out on a raining day, and almost crashed it 3 times. RWD+Wet road= Trouble. If I were to pick it would be the 991 or GTR, ZR1 is out of the question. Have you look into the Cayman S, that's a nice car as well. Cayman S + mods = lot of fun.

·
Registered
639 Posts
GT-R hands down. I DD my GT-R and would not have it any other right now. I was in your shoes and about to order a custom build 997 GTS at INVOICE last year. The 997 GTS has about the same HP as the new 991 S, but both do not come close the GT-R. Also ordering any P car you get nickled and dimed for EVERY option, the GT-R it is an all included price. I use my GT-R to transport my 2 young kids and find the rear seat room a little better in the GT-R.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
GT-R hands down. I DD my GT-R and would not have it any other right now. I was in your shoes and about to order a custom build 997 GTS at INVOICE last year. The 997 GTS has about the same HP as the new 991 S, but both do not come close the GT-R. Also ordering any P car you get nickled and dimed for EVERY option, the GT-R it is an all included price. I use my GT-R to transport my 2 young kids and find the rear seat room a little better in the GT-R.
I did the same thing you did and traded in my 2009 GTR for the new Carrera S with every option under the sun including a PDK. There is no question that the Porsche is the better DD but there is also no question that I missed the brute power of the GTR. So I gave the Porsche to my wife and ordered a 2013 BE.

·
Registered
89 Posts
REK125, I like your solultion....the best of both worlds! Might you be able to share your thoughts on the PDK vs. the GTR's transmission?

·
Registered
8,455 Posts
It did the same thing you did and traded in my 2009 GTR for the new Carrera S with every option under the sun including a PDK. There is no question that the Porsche is the better DD but there is also no question that I missed the brute power of the GTR. So I gave the Porsche to my wife and ordered a 2013 BE.
well a big trend is happening on this forum lately , a lot of people that sold their GTR's have come/coming back to the GTR

very interesting..

·
I'm everywhere.
857 Posts
Having owned a 2010 C2S 997.2 PDK just before selling and buying my 2012 GTR, I'll say keep the Porsche you have on order for a daily driver. I have yet to test drive the 991, but I've heard it's everything the 997.2 was and more. In many ways I loved having the C2S more than the GTR:

- More comfortable suspension for daily use
- PDK is IMO the best DCT currently available on the market
- NA engine and exhaust note is amazing (more raw, though I love how my GT-R sounds now
)
- More "incognito" so people don't stare at you as often or as long, and other cars leave you alone and don't keep bothering you to race on open freeways
- Can still take it to track days and have a blast without worrying as much
- It's "prettier" than the GTR

But really though, can't go wrong with either the 2013 or the 991

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
REK125, I like your solultion....the best of both worlds! Might you be able to share your thoughts on the PDK vs. the GTR's transmission?
The is no question that the PDK is the better option for DD. It is smooth as silk, never any surging and does not require the more frequent fluid changes that the GR6 does. Also, it seems to have a much lower failure rate.

·
ACG Automotive
2,588 Posts
GT-R... But I'm a huge P-car guy as well and would love to get my ass in the seat of the new 991.

Congrats!

·
Registered
977 Posts
If you like the new electric steering in the porsche then go with that but the price would likely be much higher for the Porsche when optioned the same as the GTR. The options on the new 911S include $2,420 Bose Audio, $6,010 for leather interior, $4,080 for the PDK, $4,050 for sport suspension, $2,950 for the sport exhaust and $1,635 to have the wheels painted black. If you add everything includiing the ceramic brakes and all other options it comes to $152,000.

I would get the GTR due to performance. I would be killed in the ZR-1.

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
I'm the ultimate gtr fan. But I'm more of a car enthusiast. When I got in the Carrera S for the first time I really enjoyed the short time I was in it. Also if you read reviews it really won't Let you down. DD choice Carrera S and it will be great for weekend track days a few times a year.
If you want a gtr get one too. Zr1 is great car but not as a DD. Tho it Is a fun car.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I had a similar situation to some here, although none of my cars are DD's. I bought a new 2010 C4S Cab PDK optioned up to $148k without ceramic brakes and ended up giving to my wife as her daily. This car is the perfect DD and the PDK is smoother at low speeds than the GTR. I do feel that the GTR is a perfectly acceptable daily but I am comparing to my GT3 RS.

As a DD the 911 will be considerably cheaper to run and maintain, mine only have to be serviced annually and my 4 year major on the RS was under $1000. Also the warranty is longer on the P car which may be a consideration.

Anyway, it is a nice dilemma to have, good luck.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts