Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I may be purchasing a GTR soon and contacted my insurance agent to help me with a quote.
Well bad news is the current company I am with does not want to cover the car so I am going to have to switch.

My question is this. I spoke with my agent and she said because I am purchasing such an expensive car I should improve my Uninsured Motorist Prop damage. She said in case I hit somebody and my policy doesn't cover enough I have risk of them sueing me because they see a expensive car and assume I have a lot of money.

So with that said. Do you guys up your coverage? I am coming from a 14 Nismo. I paid 45k otd on it so its not cheap but also not a GTR.

Do you guys change your policy to cover more or is that not worth it? From the way the agent told me it sound legit and all, but I want opinions from people that actually own this car.

Thanks in advance!

· Registered
1,293 Posts
So I may be purchasing a GTR soon and contacted my insurance agent to help me with a quote.
Well bad news is the current company I am with does not want to cover the car so I am going to have to switch.

My question is this. I spoke with my agent and she said because I am purchasing such an expensive car I should improve my Uninsured Motorist Prop damage. She said in case I hit somebody and my policy doesn't cover enough I have risk of them sueing me because they see a expensive car and assume I have a lot of money.

So with that said. Do you guys up your coverage? I am coming from a 14 Nismo. I paid 45k otd on it so its not cheap but also not a GTR.

Do you guys change your policy to cover more or is that not worth it? From the way the agent told me it sound legit and all, but I want opinions from people that actually own this car.

Thanks in advance!
No change at the 500 deductible 50k injury and car replacement if totalled

· Registered
1,228 Posts
I think your insurance company is gouging. Thats an absurd comment to think that a cars cost represents the persons wealth. I know millionaires who drive F150's and others who pay $2500 from a $4000 a month paycheck to "keep up with the Jones"

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats what i was afraid of. My buddy said he had an evo x an when he got gtr his insurance was only $35 more a month. I def sont want my policy to go up more than $100.

They also kept recommending to stay away from geico or progressive. Which also seemed odd.

If u guys get 50k coverage do you get gap coverage to pay for the rest or is my lack of knowledge misleading me about how it works.

Last thing i wana do is wreck gtr an owe 50k

· Registered
117 Posts
Unless your insurance company considers uninsured motorist property damage something different than mine does your agent has what it does backwards. What uninsured motorist damage should do is cover your costs in the event your in an accident and the other driver either doesn't have insurance or doesn't have enough insurance to cover the cost of repairs. In Texas I think the minimal your have to carry for liability is 25k property damage which if they do anything more than lightly tap you it's going to cost way more than that to repair a GTR. I had first hand experience with this problem in my GTR, but in my case both the other drivers ran after the accident even though only 1 of them was at fault for it. Since my accident was classified as a hit and run the claim was placed against my uninsured motorist first and any overages then went against my comprehensive policy.

When it comes to accidents in a GTR there's a couple of funny things happen. First you will find a lot of insurance companies have no clue on how to even start writing up the damages for the estimate, because the GTR is not in there parts database. The second thing is a lot of body shops talk big about they handle all kinds of rare cars but when they are brought a rare car for an estimate they have no clue on the parts prices either. Both of these problems are going to lead to one thing in trying to getting to get any type of resolution....Delays.

In my wreck it took 3 months, 4 bodyshops and a trip to bring in a consultant from nissan before I even had the first estimate on how much it was going to cost to repair the car. This works into the second problem you are going to run into.

Most of the time an insurance companies will only pay for 1 month of worth of rental vehicle which for the most part is nowhere near the time required to get any sort of resolution going. In my case while the GTR was my daily driver I did have my track/weekend car I could drive if needed. The great thing was I didn't have to resort to that because while my rental time ran out because of the nature of the car and delays all rental overages ended up getting paid by my uninsured motorist policy. So for the whole 3 months I had a rental to run around with and at the end of everything I didn't have to pay the 5k worth of retail fees my insurance took care of it all.

The big lesson I learned in my ordeal was to carry more uninsured/under insured motorist coverage than you think you will need. In my case I had 50k worth of uninsured/under insured motorist coverage because I figured that for the most part they would be under insured and I would be able to get a little from their insurance. I really didn't give a thought about what happens if they don't have insurance or run after the accident. My GTR ended up being totaled out because of the wreck and by the time everything was said and done the costs to the insurance company ended up being $92,000 after car was written off and all parties paid. This did not include the medical expenses which added around another 15k to the total cost. The GT-R I had was far from new when this accident happened it was already 6 years old and had 35,000 miles on it.

If I were to do this over again I would have gotten minimum 100k worth of uninsured/under insured motorist coverage because it was only about 15 dollars it's more a month and that would have saved me so many headaches along the way. When I finally do get my replacement 2015 GTR I will be bumping my uninsured/under insured coverage to 150k just in case.

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mr2 - I think that may be my confusion. I believe she mentioned both catagories. Uninsured in case they hit me and have no coverage, and then the actual coverage for the other party in case I hit them.

Needless to say I think what I will do tonight is go to geico.com or progressive and do quote online for different outcomes of coverage and see what the increase would be, this will help me answer the real question, and thats how much more I will need to pay for more peace of mind.

· Registered
506 Posts
Unless your insurance company considers uninsured motorist property damage something different than mine does your agent has what it does backwards. What uninsured motorist damage should do is cover your costs in the event your in an accident and the other driver either doesn't have insurance or doesn't have enough insurance to cover the cost of repairs. In Texas I think the minimal your have to carry for liability is 25k property damage which if they do anything more than lightly tap you it's going to cost way more than that to repair a GTR. I had first hand experience with this problem in my GTR, but in my case both the other drivers ran after the accident even though only 1 of them was at fault for it. Since my accident was classified as a hit and run the claim was placed against my uninsured motorist first and any overages then went against my comprehensive policy.

When it comes to accidents in a GTR there's a couple of funny things happen. First you will find a lot of insurance companies have no clue on how to even start writing up the damages for the estimate, because the GTR is not in there parts database. The second thing is a lot of body shops talk big about they handle all kinds of rare cars but when they are brought a rare car for an estimate they have no clue on the parts prices either. Both of these problems are going to lead to one thing in trying to getting to get any type of resolution....Delays.

In my wreck it took 3 months, 4 bodyshops and a trip to bring in a consultant from nissan before I even had the first estimate on how much it was going to cost to repair the car. This works into the second problem you are going to run into.

Most of the time an insurance companies will only pay for 1 month of worth of rental vehicle which for the most part is nowhere near the time required to get any sort of resolution going. In my case while the GTR was my daily driver I did have my track/weekend car I could drive if needed. The great thing was I didn't have to resort to that because while my rental time ran out because of the nature of the car and delays all rental overages ended up getting paid by my uninsured motorist policy. So for the whole 3 months I had a rental to run around with and at the end of everything I didn't have to pay the 5k worth of retail fees my insurance took care of it all.

The big lesson I learned in my ordeal was to carry more uninsured/under insured motorist coverage than you think you will need. In my case I had 50k worth of uninsured/under insured motorist coverage because I figured that for the most part they would be under insured and I would be able to get a little from their insurance. I really didn't give a thought about what happens if they don't have insurance or run after the accident. My GTR ended up being totaled out because of the wreck and by the time everything was said and done the costs to the insurance company ended up being $92,000 after car was written off and all parties paid. This did not include the medical expenses which added around another 15k to the total cost. The GT-R I had was far from new when this accident happened it was already 6 years old and had 35,000 miles on it.

If I were to do this over again I would have gotten minimum 100k worth of uninsured/under insured motorist coverage because it was only about 15 dollars it's more a month and that would have saved me so many headaches along the way. When I finally do get my replacement 2015 GTR I will be bumping my uninsured/under insured coverage to 150k just in case.
+1 always get more insurance coverage than what you think you will ever need. For the few extra dollars it may cost you per month you can sleep better at night knowing that you're covered. GAP insurance is also something I would never roll off the lot without, especially if purchasing a brand new GT-R.

Sent from my VS986 using GT-R Life mobile app

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.