Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've read the manual, shrunk folders and files down to the limits stated in the manual, and I still can't get a simple USB memory stick with MP3s to play in my 2012. I've formatted NTFS and just threw 4 mp3s into the root directory with zero subfolders... still says "check usb or ipod". Anyway out there not using an iPod and just using a USB memory stick with any playback advice? Would appreciate it. Using a 4 GIG Corsair flash drive... Wish there was some simple way to copy mp3s to Music Box and be done with it! Thanks, Loren

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I'm interested in that ..

It seems last time I tried , it wouldn't allow me to Copy mp 3 s at all ! Only wma which sucks . I would think it should allow mp3 in their . The only way was to put tem on a disk ( the wma or wtv it was called ) and copy them as the song plaid

·
Registered
1,428 Posts

It seems last time I tried , it wouldn't allow me to Copy mp 3 s at all ! Only wma which sucks . I would think it should allow mp3 in their . The only way was to put tem on a disk ( the wma or wtv it was called ) and copy them as the song plaid
I've been playing music from a USB thumb drive since I purchased my 2011, I will check when I get home but I'm pretty sure I formatted in FAT32 format and not NTFS. I have folders and just dragged and dropped to the thumbdrive. Pretty sure mine is a 16 or 32gb drive.

·
Registered
284 Posts
They don't copy as each song played. They copy at a much higher speed. To rip the entire cd takes about 10 mins.

I don't believe that you can rip songs off the usb to the music box.

never had any issues with my usb playing, in fact any computer now says my usb is corrupt and wont access the drive, but the GT-R still plays it (& no he GT-R didnt corrupt the usb).

And mine was formatted as fat32 also.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They don't copy as each song played. They copy at a much higher speed. To rip the entire cd takes about 10 mins.

I don't believe that you can rip songs off the usb to the music box.

never had any issues with my usb playing, in fact any computer now says my usb is corrupt and wont access the drive, but the GT-R still plays it (& no he GT-R didnt corrupt the usb).

Did you name the folder correctly (cant remember what it is supposed to be called tho.
I reduced it down to no folders whatsoever... just files in the root of the drive. I will try FAT32 and see if that's it. If they are supposed to reside in a folder name, news to me! thanks.

·
Registered
284 Posts
just edited my post, removed the folder name comment as maybe mine was also in the route directory also (which would be why I cant recall the folder name??)
def try fat 32 format.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have the same problem..there must be an issue with the software in the car....my 4th gen iPod has worked fine since i got the car 6 months ago..i keep it permanently in the console plugged into the usb...suddenly yesterday it says check usb or iPod..and won't play music...my iPhone still works fine plugged in, but for some reason all of a sudden it won't recognize the iPod...Irritating...

·
Registered
187 Posts

Hybrid Compact Disc Digital Audio (Hybrid
I think it only allow WMA recordings. From page 3-25 of multifunction display manual....it only allows recordings from CDs that contain uncompressed audio files. I have no problem playing directly from usb or iphone. Usually I just stream my music from my phone using bluetooth. It's much easier.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I use USB thumb drive in a 2012 but it takes a minute once I start the car before the audio will play.
Yeah, this sounds exactly like the USB in my 2010 Genesis Coupe. If you have a lot of files or folders, it takes some time for the directory to load up after starting the car, its very annoying. I found that a 32 GB USB flash drive was just too big and held too many files and caused long loading times and . Windows on a PC does this too, but a hundred times faster. I now therefore use an 8 GB USB flash drive. Due to its limited file numbers, its much faster loading up now when started.

·
Registered
213 Posts
It's funny b/c the same stick when used in the range rover immediately plays. And I'd say it's electronics (a 2011 RRS) are far inferior compared to the GTR.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I believe most of us have smart phone. Load up the song in your phone and Bluetooth audio music stream. That what I do. It can still skip track on steering wheel button

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I used a small 4 gig drive with 10 files, same thing. Tried others... 8, 32 and 64 gig... same thing. I have a phone I could stream via bluetooth, but I don't always have bluetooth enabled and I don't want to plug it in directly. Since I have so many flash drives, it seemed easy and logical to put all of my music on it, plug it in and forget it. Wishful thinking.

·
Founder/Admin
26,252 Posts
i got my USB to work...but its spotty sometimes it does others it doesnt

what doesnt work is the memory card on my droid via USB.... since it has a SD memory and internal memory i think it gets confused as to which it should be reading... so if i use my phone i just bluetooth it

what i found that works 99% of the time is a SD card plugged into one of those card reader USB adapters.... all my album folders show up

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I saw the 99% part and got my hopes up... then I remembered the last thing I tried was a 64gig SD card from my camera plugged into a usb adpater I have for it. Ugh. I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

·
Founder/Admin
26,252 Posts
I saw the 99% part and got my hopes up... then I remembered the last thing I tried was a 64gig SD card from my camera plugged into a usb adpater I have for it. Ugh. I feel like I'm missing something obvious.
its weird because i went and tried the SD/usb adapter as soon as i posted to make sure and it worked... i think mine was a 16 gig but i had maybe 1-2 gigs tops on there....

then i connected my droid and it said check USB just like i thought it would.... so im not really sure what to tell you

i had everything in folders too

i swear i didnt realize you could change bluetooth songs with the steering wheel button until i read this thread... i also realized you can stream audio from youtube via bluetooth... thats kind of neat too

1 - 20 of 23 Posts