Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does the addition of being FBO affect the value of the car?
I'm asking because there is a same year car, with 1/3 of the miles and FBO asking the same price as another vehicle that is stock.
Both beautiful cars, just wondering since I'm in the market for this exact car.

These are in the members cars for sale section.

Sent from my iPhone using GT-R Life mobile app

· Registered
1,932 Posts
From a purist point of view, yes go with a stock car. However, if you plan on upgrading anyway, you'll probably get the better deal going with a FBO car vs. buying stock and getting parts - just make sure the car has the brand parts you want. Also, consider many cars for sale as "stock" may have been made that way by swapping out the aftermarket stuff for the OEM parts that were originally on the car. In this case, a stock GT-R could have parts from a different year, etc. Bottom line: make sure the car you choose was never modded if you want a truly "virgin" GT-R.

· Founder/Admin
26,011 Posts
thats a good point.. there are so many tuned GTRs in the wild your chances of stumbling on a car that was once tuned and had mods and now back to stock is fairly high

· Registered
536 Posts
For a car like the GT-R, I would be very, very hesitant to buy one with FBO's or a tune. People aren't buying GT-R's because they're some beautiful luxury cruiser like a DB9 or Granturismo. It's a car all about performance, and the vast majority of people buying it will give the car a good beating. If it's modified you know that person is definitely kicking its ass. Why else would you tune a car or add racing parts if you don't care about getting more performance? I suppose a catback is one thing (for louder exhaust), but if they go as far as downpipes, then you know the car has probably seen some stuff! Unless it's done by a very reputable shop like AMS or Switzer, I'd argue aftermarket parts drops the price.

· Registered
1,932 Posts
I would disagree somewhat - 2012 bought new, 4k miles and FBO. I dont beat on my car - upgraded because,as impressive as the car is stock, i thought it would have felt stronger than it did. So i made it to meet or exceed my original expectations. No track or drag, not launched yet - im probably the minority although there are several "mature" drivers who treat theirs like i do. Additionally, I'm not crapping out benjamins and would be up the creek if i incurred major damage from beating on the car.

The point i will concede is that unless you really know the owner, there's no way to tell how a modded car was treated. But i would take a weekend FBO car over a stock car that saw a lot of track time.

· Registered
131 Posts
Personally speaking, I'd prefer the GTR would come with FBO or at least an exhaust for a great exhaust note. I see it as a bargain getting a car that has FBO and service records.

· Registered
1,932 Posts
Sorry OP, kinda jacked your thread there - figure out what your plans are for a GT-R and base your purchase on where you want to go. Enjoy the ride!

· Registered
1,932 Posts
There is, just gotta find it. A proper PPI will help ease yout mind as well.

· Registered
529 Posts
No problem! I'm liking all the feedback.
I'd like a FBO car that I know has been cared for.
If there is such a thing!

Sent from my iPhone using GT-R Life mobile app
I think you can find one if you know where to look. I would ask the shops you respect in your area if they know of any well cared for cars for sale. people mod for all sorts of reasons. not always to improve track time or be king of the streets.

· Registered
615 Posts
For a car like the GT-R, I would be very, very hesitant to buy one with FBO's or a tune. People aren't buying GT-R's because they're some beautiful luxury cruiser like a DB9 or Granturismo. It's a car all about performance, and the vast majority of people buying it will give the car a good beating. If it's modified you know that person is definitely kicking its ass. Why else would you tune a car or add racing parts if you don't care about getting more performance? I suppose a catback is one thing (for louder exhaust), but if they go as far as downpipes, then you know the car has probably seen some stuff! Unless it's done by a very reputable shop like AMS or Switzer, I'd argue aftermarket parts drops the price.
I would have to somewhat disagree. My past GT-Rs had FBO + E85 and I never beat on it at all. Never drove the temps above 220*F nor did I ever launch it. I generally just used it to cruise through the major cities with friends, get food, hard park, and go home. It was the experience of modding it which pushed me to do it, but I never beat on it. It was just fun getting on the highway and that's it. I put on 20K miles on it with the mods, and I only went WOT once a month. I understand the caution behind buying a tuned or modded GT-R, but if I were to buy it from someone with my mentality - I totally would.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.