Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,904 Posts
I agree with the fact that a Viper will try to bite the hand that feeds it (aka, "you knew I was a snake when you bought me, man"). As previously posted, you can mitigate that IF you know what you're doing, but I'd say that's a very small percentage of people out there on the roads today. For me, the GT-R is just so good a building driver confidence and making you feel better than you really are. Sure, every car has it's limits, but the GT-R is forgiving and predictable. So to the OP, don't discount your own performance driving experience in this equation - do you want to be on edge and paranoid every time you take you car out for some spirited driving, or do you have the training and experience to reel it in if things start to go "sideways"? I'm no Andretti, so GT-R for me all day!
^^^^^^^^^^
Best advice!

Alexd

·
Super Moderator
3,904 Posts
Luke,

Where do you live? I'm in Orange County in SoCal and I don't have that issue at all. Occasionally I get comments, but nothing like that.

I'm N.W. of Chicago; I can't go out without someone smiling and waving.

Alexd

·
Super Moderator
3,904 Posts
Yep.

When I drove down to Florida, I saw 3 GT-Rs driving around within 2 weeks. I have NEVER seen another GT-R in Illinois in over 10 years except for one 2013 one that I think a dealer was driving around in. I'm excepting a few GT-R "meets" where people came from all over.

Alexd

·
Super Moderator
3,904 Posts
Alex, you need to associate with a better crowd ☺.
Down here in Schaumburg, I see about one a week now in the summer, last year I was driving home from Woodfield and there was one just like mine in the lane next to me, a first for me.
Also last year, I was getting into my car in an office lot, when I hear a woman yelling " wait, wait, don't leave yet!" I look to the rear of my car and she's taking pictures, or trying to. " I can't get my phone to work; I love GTRs!" I asked her how she knew about them, she said her dad had a transmission shop and she had been around cars all her life. I told her she was only the third woman in three years to comment, and she said " I know, I'm funny that way!"
One of my good friends lives in Schaumburg, but he usually comes to my house in Lake Villa (near Fox Lake, Illinois). That said, I often go to Boostin Performance in Hoffman Estates which is an adjacent town to Schaumburg....and while I'm at it, fantastic builders and tuners (GT-Rs and several other brands), and generally very nice people to deal with.

Alexd
P.S. I haven't drag-raced at Byron or Great Lakes since they started with new owners, and applying greater restrictions to modified cars. Drop me a line if you want to go sometime; I'm planning to go in the Spring.

·
Super Moderator
3,904 Posts
To the OP...GT-R for a lot of the reasons mentioned before.
Same, I get get that give a thumbs up and comment but not have much as you're talking about near Chicago.
I'll always talk to people if they have technical questions to ask. I'll even open the hood on occasion if there's a particular question. One out of 20 asks for a ride but I draw the line there.
One time...and I feel good about it...one youngster, maybe 18-20 years old was gushing about taking pictures of my car. He was an out of the country minority and clearly wanted to impress his friends. I let him stand next to my car holding my key up in the air (with a huge smile!), while I used his camera to take his picture. I figure I did my part for International relations and human kindness.

Alexd

·
Super Moderator
3,904 Posts
Lmk if you guys go, I'd be down
Great! If you or anyone have experience or have talked to other high-performance car people about whether they are strict or not about NHRA rules, let's be aware of the latest talk/info.
Some have told me that if you ask the line man to NOT display your time and speed, they will give you a pass...in that it appears that they (the Drag-Strip) aren't violating anything.
I don't know if this is true, and having never done it myself...do I tape a sign on my windows or shout it out each time I come up to the line? (expected Low 9s and over 150 mph)

Alexd

·
Super Moderator
3,904 Posts
I went to Great Lakes in September when I first got my GTR and there was a stock Plaid there running alone with no time/speed displayed, so I'm sure they would let you.

Hmmmm....I wonder if the Plaid driver was experienced or not. Everything working well for both cars, I would expect to be 1/2 to 1 second quicker with street tires. Did you notice if the Plaid had a "Do Not Display" sign in his window, or something similar to that? Or were you close enough to see if on each run there was communications to the starting line man?

Alexd

1 - 7 of 7 Posts