Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hello again,

I was hoping to get some in depth advice on the pros and cons of a few things. I am considering buying a set of 18" Volk TE37 SL wheels for my 2010 Nissan GT-R (AMS Alpha 10 modified). I don't mind spending the extra cash on these wheels because they seem to be 5 lbs. or more lighter than the alternatives per wheel.

Here are the issues I'm interested in seeing debated concerning these wheels:

1) 18" size for regular road driving (I've seen a lot of threads about using it on the track, but very little for regular driving). If you think it is not good for road driving, please explain why in detail! Likewise, if you think it is good, please explain in detail!

2) 18" square setup (18x10.5) vs. stuttered setup (18x9.5 & 18x10.5) for daily driving. As in the topic above, please list in detail your reasoning on the topic.

3) Grippy tire recommendations for either setup that will be able to handle the Alpha 10 LC1 launch, but also will handle corners well (i.e. tires that strike a decent compromise between track and drag for the road), and that will fit on the 18" Volk TE37 SL.

Any other salient issues pertaining to these topics are appreciated as well. I'm interested in having as many tire options as possible, and I'm psyched to try new tires every time I have to change a pair out, and the 18" wheels will give me the most opportunities to explore these options. I would go with 19" but it seems they are more severely limited (though not as severely limited as the 20" tire options...).

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
+1 for this question as well from you tire and rim experts.

but 19's for me, since I just about can't find 18's that will fit my CCM brakes. The 19's are limited, but reasonbly priced Hoosiers and NT01's ARE available in these sizes.

descartesfool, interested in your take on this, since I know you have such a setup.

Shawn

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
i am local to you and i run TE37s SLs

My car is lowered a good amount and with the 18's i scrape the floor often

I run Drs on my car and with a good amount of tire pressure they are not terrible in turns

I do have ADV 20s that i use most the time when i am on pump gas and Drs on C16.

If you want to come check them out just PM me

·
Banned
853 Posts
I hope an expert answers your questions, I've been wondering the same thing. I have an Alpha10 with Volk TE37SL as well, but won't be able to use them until spring.

Did you find any 18" wheels that fit CCM brakes Shawn?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
+1 for this question as well from you tire and rim experts.

but 19's for me, since I just about can't find 18's that will fit my CCM brakes. The 19's are limited, but reasonbly priced Hoosiers and NT01's ARE available in these sizes.

descartesfool, interested in your take on this, since I know you have such a setup.

Shawn
I guess I would be interested in knowing how people feel about the 18" vs. 19" sizes for daily driving as well...

·
Registered
8,455 Posts
I guess I would be interested in knowing how people feel about the 18" vs. 19" sizes for daily driving as well...
I have driven on 18's(same as yours volks TE37 SL) for 1500 miles last season , tires were MT's 305 /18's

traction was amazing on the street , handling was .."ok" , meaning around turns the tires did not instill confidence at all..

I then decided to put on my 20's nittos 555R in the back and Invos in the front , car handled much better (a little laggy off launch control but very grippy and actually from 40 mph car put the power down in 45* weather.. summer time it would not even chirp the tires.. I am making the same trq as you 812 on a mustang dyno

IF you put nittos DR 555R on your 20's and all 4 corners .. you WILL not spin the tires an the car will handle A LOT better than 18's MT's

the 18's are great for the track and will allow quicker launches..

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How much lower to the ground do the 18"s bring the car down compared to the 20"s?

What about the 19"s vs. the 20"s.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Staggered setup for more traction in a straight line. Rear wheels I had TE37SL's in 18x11 with an offset of 18. I really liked them.

·
Banned
853 Posts
I then decided to put on my 20's nittos 555R in the back and Invos in the front , car handled much better (a little laggy off launch control but very grippy and actually from 40 mph car put the power down in 45* weather.. summer time it would not even chirp the tires.. I am making the same trq as you 812 on a mustang dyno

IF you put nittos DR 555R on your 20's and all 4 corners .. you WILL not spin the tires an the car will handle A LOT better than 18's MT's
That's really helpful, thanks. I'm going to be running NT555R fronts and NT05R rears which is similiar, but 18"s. What did you attribute the handling change to more, the changing of tire composition or the switch from 18" to 20" wheels?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Staggered setup for more traction in a straight line. Rear wheels I had TE37SL's in 18x11 with an offset of 18. I really liked them.
By front setup I'm curious about the offset used.

BTW, when people mention aggressive vs. conservative offset does this refer to how low the front of the car is to the ground with a certain wheel setup?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,455 Posts
That's good to know. No way I'll be attempting that either.

That's really helpful, thanks. I'm going to be running NT555R fronts and NT05R rears which is similiar, but 18"s. What did you attribute the handling change to more, the changing of tire composition or the switch from 18" to 20" wheels?
the composition of the tire and a taller side wall , more flex around turns

·
Registered
657 Posts
By front setup I'm curious about the offset used.

BTW, when people mention aggressive vs. conservative offset does this refer to how low the front of the car is to the ground with a certain wheel setup?

Thanks!
Im curious if 18x11 +18s all around would work??

Reading this it seems I am better off with the OEM 20s up front and some Nt05s 18s in the back?

·
driving big boats
540 Posts
I am also interested in this topic. I have a set of 18in TE37 SL's but have not chosen a tire for them yet. My concern really isn't handling or daily driving feel... it is speed. Obviously a GTR running 18 wheels with drag radials on all 4 corners is going to hook well (in all but excessive horsepower situations), but how do these tires hold up as speed climbs? The NT-05R's are rated at 109mph, the Nitto NT 555R are rated at 149mph, and not sure about the Mickey Thompson's. Modified GTRs get over those speed ratings very quickly - especially an Alpha 10. I know GTRs make 1/4 passes at the strip at 150+ mph, but what about on the street? As much as a like racing from a stop, most "spirited competitive driving" I find on the streets is from a roll. Last thing I want is for one of these tires to come apart on the freeway. Granted triple digit speeds are never "safe", but I would like to be as safe as possible. I spoke with Sleepdoc about this and I was wondering if anyone else had thoughts.​

This may be semi off-topic, I apologize in advance: I've ran drag radials on a few of my RWD cars and they picked up all sorts of rocks, pebbles, and road debris. For you guys running drag radials on all our corners --- do you fling pebbles everywhere? I would like to avoid chipping the paint haha. I may have to get the entire car fitted with clear paint protection film.​

Also, how do TPMS work on drag radials? On my stock wheel/tire setup, I get the low tire pressure CEL if tires are anything less than 28psi. Drag radials operate at less than that. Do you just have to deal with the TPMS or is there a way to program what psi the car looks for in a tire?​

Thanks for any opinions or advice.​

-Steve​

1 - 19 of 19 Posts