Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I have been doing some research on the upcoming concept vehicles for Nissan and Infiniti and there is a lot of talk of them using a smaller displacement twin turbo for their upcoming engine platform.

Has anyone heard that the R36 GT-R might use something similar to the VRX30A engine? It's basically a high tech 3.0 liter twin turbo V6 mated with a hybrid system and is capable of producing 1250hp! Sounds exciting! What are others thoughts of Nissan possibly choosing this type of engine platform for the upcoming GT-R? I believe they use this engine in the GT-R LM NISMO.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
That's the rumor. They need to get the LM running right before they can push hybrid technology. It basically stopped working during the LeMans race. Pushing more out of a properly build 3.0 with twin turbos wouldn't be difficult alone. Add hybrid and your at monster torque at the front wheels and possibly eliminate the complex twin drive shafts. Buts that's the rumors I've read

·
Registered
641 Posts
Too complex for me.........
I will not be buying the new R-36 .
lol and a twin turbo, twin clutch, awd, 2 driveshaft car isn't?

The electric motors will be great for torque fill and people who track. But i dont know if the electric motors would offset the benefit of 0.8 liters of displacement for people who are into the 1/2 mile or highway races.

Lets say for example the limit of the VR38 is 1500whp. Now drop 25% of the displacement. How much hp would you make? would a 200hp electric motor be able to make up for it. I somehow doubt it.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the max hp output wrong in my original post. It's 1250 not 750. It's corrected now.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I had the max hp output wrong in my original post. It's 1250 not 750. It's corrected now.
That's projected peak power output though for the system in the GT-R LM Nismo - assuming they can get a full 8 megajoule hybrid system working, which they haven't. At Le Mans they were basically only running the V6 with no hybrid assist and power output was rumored to only be around 500hp. That's why they were running in the 2 megajoule classification rather than 8 to try and compensate by running more fuel - they still barely finished the race with one car.

So in short, trying to extrapolate the R36 from the VRX30 in the GT-R LM Nismo is the same as all other rumors about the R36 so far - pure pie-in-the-sky speculation.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So in short, trying to extrapolate the R36 from the VRX30 in the GT-R LM Nismo is the same as all other rumors about the R36 so far - pure pie-in-the-sky speculation.
I understand that this is speculation but if the chief GT-R designer, Shiro Nakamura, says it himself that the next GT-R will be based on this same setup I would take that as a little more than "pie-in-the-sky speculation" as you put it.

Also my real question here I guess is how is the current GT-R community is going to take to this new setup? Will it be accepted with open arms like the R35 was in 2007 or will there be criticism? Also being that this setup supports an opposite FWD-RWD vice a RWD-FWD system, how will that be looked at? I don't know about you but I have always liked how the GT-R is mostly RWD until it needs to send torque to the front wheels. This will be mostly FWD until it needs to send torque to rear wheels. Also, the tuning of this car will also be I question as the 3.0 liter V6 will mostly be tapped out with 500-550hp from the factory. Not a lot of room for improvement there you would think. I could be wrong though.

·
Founder/Admin
26,441 Posts
no I wouldnt speculate beyond the engine as the R36 wont use the same "set up" I talked to NISMO about this and the LM car was front wheel drive biased to take advantage of Aerodynamic rules and have the entire rear of the car opened up so that aspect has NO bearing on a GTR roadcar

now with that said the 3.0 does seem to be the likely candidate for the R36 powerplant as two nissan sources have mentioned it. it will be direct injected and more fuel efficient probably 500hp. beyond that there isnt much link between the troubled LMP1 car and the roadcar. the rest of the power will be hybrid but hard to say what type of hybrid. the LMP1 car uses a mechanical hybrid where most of the newer roadcars use electric motors for the most part. The Williams rumor is still around for the R36 and they arnt the supplier of the LM hybrid so my guess is again not much relation in development beyond general feedback on how that 3.0 works alongside a hybrid system

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I just hope Nissan isn't taking a step back going with a smaller displacement engine. I guess with fuel efficiency concerns this is a big reason many of the major car companies are going with this type of setup (i.e. smaller displacement with forced induction). Has anyone taken a look at the Q60 concept? Infiniti is going to use this type of engine setup in it.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I understand that this is speculation but if the chief GT-R designer, Shiro Nakamura, says it himself that the next GT-R will be based on this same setup I would take that as a little more than "pie-in-the-sky speculation" as you put it.

Also my real question here I guess is how is the current GT-R community is going to take to this new setup? Will it be accepted with open arms like the R35 was in 2007 or will there be criticism? Also being that this setup supports an opposite FWD-RWD vice a RWD-FWD system, how will that be looked at? I don't know about you but I have always liked how the GT-R is mostly RWD until it needs to send torque to the front wheels. This will be mostly FWD until it needs to send torque to rear wheels. Also, the tuning of this car will also be I question as the 3.0 liter V6 will mostly be tapped out with 500-550hp from the factory. Not a lot of room for improvement there you would think. I could be wrong though.
Saying it's the same setup is a far cry from saying it will have the same engine or have 1250 hp. If they used a VR38 with two electric motors to assist then it would still arguably be "the same setup" since it's still a twin-turbo V6 hybrid. Unless he said something to the effect that "Oh yeah, we're going to put the same motor in the R36 and have a flywheel-based energy recovery system" which AFAIK he hasn't then it's still speculation.

And this is also speculation on my part but I'm pretty damn sure the R36 won't have a FWD-biased AWD system since the one in the GT-R LM Nismo was dictated by the unique properties of the Circuit De La Sarthe and the current ACO rulebook that meant that Nissan could stand to benefit from an aerodynamics standpoint (not a mechanical or handling one) if they ran a FWD-packaged car to create a full-length aero tunnel in the monocoque and bypassing the regulations that severely restrict rear downforce. Unless the R36 is some insane single-seater race car that will only be used in situations with long straights and medium to high speed corners that same approach won't benefit it at all.

·
R.I.P. Paul Walker
7,534 Posts
If the R36 uses this new LM style engine with hybrid assist. It WILL NOT be fwd like the LM and have the hybrid kick in the rears only...It will be RWD and have the hybrid kick in the front wheels or all wheels. There is no way a 3.0 tt v6 will be fwd for the gtr...then have rwd hybrid assist. NO WAY

·
R.I.P. Paul Walker
7,534 Posts
it could also be current Atessa AWD with the the hybrid adding to overall power assist and not a specific axel driven hybrid
True, wouldn't it make most sense to add the hybrid to the front wheels? or maybe a majority split to the front like 70 front and 30 rear. Because the problem w the current system on launch (w fbo and clearly more power also) is the rears slipping, kicking in the fronts...

·
Registered
641 Posts
the nsx, 918, and bmw i8 use a gas powered rwd setup with front wheel electric motors
ferrari and mclaren are using the electric motor to directly drive the rear differential, bypassing the tranny.

in either case i dont think we are going to be seeing the electric motors sending power thru the tranny and split up by attesa. i dont think it could handle it.

·
Founder/Admin
26,441 Posts
I agree I dont think the current set up could either and the NSX blueprint seems the most feasible unless they revamped the AWD system in a big ways we dont know about

the dual driveshaft method of the R35 while works magic seems a be archaic when compared to some of the new ways to pull this off like electric motors but we will see. it depends on if the R36 is evolutionary as in a modified R35 chassis with different sheet metal an extra gear and a hybrid power assist on a lower displacement engine or revolutionary as all of that but designed ground up with independent gas/electic axels more exotic materials and possible active aero ( think an affordable hypercar)

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
The R36 will have a direct drive 4WD system with a single mid-mounted DC motor powered by AA batteries - and it'll have little rollers on the front and rear bumpers for improved cornering.

Source: my brother's friend's cousin's sister-in-law who does Shiro Nakamura's wife's hairdressing and was informed the whole R36 design team loves to play with Tamiya Mini 4WD cars. Seems about as legit a source as a lot of other places the automotive media have been basing guesses about the R36 on. You heard it here first!

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I get it so the powertrain is too much to speculate on right now. I would say; however, that at least we can all agree that the engine will use a 3.0 liter V6 twin turbo. I am wondering will this type of engine be well accepted by the GT-R community now that we have been spoiled with a higher displacement 3.8 liter TT? I'm not too familiar with this hybrid assist technology but I am starting to feel very thankful I was able to get the R35. I know the GT-R has always been about being on the forefront of new technology so going the hybrid route was inevitable. I am just worried this is going to bump the price up out of my reach and out of many others that love the platform.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
The R35 will almost certainly be the last of the "easy-to-tune" GT-Rs (easy being a relative term here) and probably will also be the last of the truly beastly GT-Rs. Nissan's been saying the GT-R will go hybrid since before the R35 came out but now that electric cars are becoming more mainstream and hybrid performance cars are becoming more commonplace that's practically a guaranteed thing with the R36. Unfortunately with the added complexity comes more difficulty with adding extra power especially since there's only so much you can do with a hybrid system's IC portion before you run into other limitations.

If high horsepower gas-powered cars remain acceptable with all the environmental concerns nowadays the R35 could end up being a very desirable car indeed if the R36 goes hybrid and isn't the tuner special previous GT-Rs were. But the future is the future. We could all be wrong and the R36 will reset our collective world views and set a new precedent in performance while being attainable and tunable. After all, they said the R35 would be "impossible" to tune before it came out and look where we are now lol.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After all, they said the R35 would be "impossible" to tune before it came out and look where we are now lol.
True, but at least it was a platform most were familiar with. I'm honestly not so enthusiastic about this hybrid stuff. Still seems too alien for a sports car even in 2015. It's probably still at least four years away if I were to guess (typically 4-5 years of development is required for an all new platform and they have most likely already started). It would make sense as that concept they came out with is named "2020". That's most likely the year the R36 will be released.

·
Warrant Officer
700 Posts
I just hope Nissan isn't taking a step back going with a smaller displacement engine. I guess with fuel efficiency concerns this is a big reason many of the major car companies are going with this type of setup (i.e. smaller displacement with forced induction). Has anyone taken a look at the Q60 concept? Infiniti is going to use this type of engine setup in it.
I'm not too worried if it's a 3.0L.. BMW is making wondrous power with that engine in the M4, with just stage 1 tunes. I agree our motors are overall stronger, but the fact that it will still be twin turbo leaves MUCH on the table for power.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.