Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got my 2012 on the track and love everything about it except it is way too quiet. its been too quiet on street also but i assumed it would improve when i got it up in the rev range on track. no luck though.

the car is leased so i would like to know which cat back system is the absolute least expensive. dont want to do any other mods either. thanks

·
Founder/Admin
26,252 Posts
cat back isnt really what your looking for

you need a unresonated mid pipe... try something like the HKS unresontated pipe.... its very loud and agggressive for about $600-700

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cat back isnt really what your looking for

you need a unresonated mid pipe... try something like the HKS unresontated pipe.... its very loud and agggressive for about $600-700
thanks for info as i didnt know about mid pipe and the price is definitely right. is mid pipe something that can effect warantee though? why is cat back not good?

·
The Nihonjin
308 Posts
thanks for info as i didnt know about mid pipe and the price is definitely right. is mid pipe something that can effect warantee though? why is cat back not good?
The Y-pipe is what is restricting your sound significantly. Changing that out will help you make it louder for cheap without buying a new muffler as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
its very easy to install so you can remove it each time you send your car to the workshop

·
Founder/Admin
26,252 Posts
It only removes the secondary cats....you wont cause any codes to be thrown

Its a simple bolt on install..

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
imo a midpipe alone doesn't make the car significantly louder. if you have other local gt-r owners with exhaust mods you should listen to their cars. i first added a non res non catted midpipe to my car with everything else stock. to me the sound difference was barely noticeable. added meisterschaft exhaust and it got much louder then. now with non catted downpipes it's too much. i have a cobb catted midpipe coming and hopefully that gets me the sound level i want.

·
R36 Member
6,049 Posts
at the risk of being too literal and point blank, just take off any part of the exhaust section that won't give you error codes.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Take out the 2 big resonators in the back, that's what I did a stop gap before I decide what cat-back to go with. Go to a good muffler shop and tell them to put in straight pipes, it'll cost around 150. I love the way my car sounds now!

·
GTR Nerd
5,335 Posts
Exhaust on the 2012 is more or less the same as the earlier cars. Here are a couple videos. One midpipe only. One with the midpipe and exhaust on it.

Midpipe Only

Midpipe and Exhaust

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
If he took off off the stock mid pipe and down pipes and just removed the cats and put them back on would that work or even be possble?
Doesn't the midpipe and downpipe make the largest difference in sound?

·
Registered
701 Posts
I have a full straight through HKS titanium system. Sounds magnificent when the revs build. I had one back-fire the other day as loud as a gun-shot. It was elite.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Take out the 2 big resonators in the back, that's what I did a stop gap before I decide what cat-back to go with. Go to a good muffler shop and tell them to put in straight pipes, it'll cost around 150. I love the way my car sounds now!
More info on this please. Maybe some pics too. ^^^^

·
Registered
433 Posts
Easy.... go to your nearest muffler shop and have them built a 3 inch piping Cat back exhaust for u..... definately cheapest way to make power.... not the prettiest and durable for sure but will definately satisfy your needs

·
Registered
78 Posts
Non resonated HKS midpipe was my very first mod. It is 4 bolts and any muffler shop can swap it out for you for $50. Definitely louder, with some drone as well. My car got a little louder with the Meisterschaft, and really loud with the non-catted downpipes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts