Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey everyone! I am kicking around the idea of picking up a GTR for a DD. I have never seen one in person, so I have some questions I wanted to ask before I pursue this any further

1. I currently have an Evo VIII and this is the 4th Evo I've owned- they're a lot of fun. I wanted to ask those of you who have had both if you can compare the two for me. Obviously, I know the Evo will be slower unless pretty modded, but how does a stock GTR compare? To me, the Evo is a blast to just get in and just drive and I don't have to go crazy fast to enjoy its "crispness", I guess you could say.

I also have the following questions and would appreciate your responses on these as well:

2. Does the GTR even make sense as a DD? (As in, do you get more out of it than you would with something much cheaper like an Evo?) I know the Evo looks goofy, but drive-wise, what were the reasons you went to a GTR? What is it that YOU get out of it?

3. How rough is the GTR ride compared to a lowered Evo? I have just stock struts (non-Bilstein model) with lowering springs and although some consider it harsh, I really don't seem to notice...

4. Are these pretty big cop magnets like an Evo sometimes is? Also, do you have a lot of people "noticing" you and do you feel kind of silly about it, if you do? I feel almost silly sometimes with the big wing on the Evo and have debated taking it off, but never have- I know this would pretty much solve the problem with that car.

5. If I plan to keep the car long-term (5+ years), do you think that all the tech stuff will look pretty outdated/cheeseball-status in relatively short time?

6. How big is the GTR compared to an Evo anyway? I've heard it's a big car, but how big? The current Mustang is pretty big compared to my 05 Evo... Is the GTR similar in size to a Mustang? What car would you compare it to in size?

7. Insurance compared to Evo?

8. Those of you who switched from an Evo, do you miss anything about it?

9. You guys who were all into driving "manual-only", do you miss shifting?

10. Lastly, do you think it's respectable enough to drive daily to a professional work environment?

I have an order in for an E90 M3 right now, but after seeing prices of used GTRs, they caught my eye. I admit that I never liked the front of these cars at all, or the fact that they don't offer moonroofs, and that they are DCT only... But for the performance and high residual values like the Evo, I'm interested. And the car has been growing on me a lot lately too
I don't track though, so does buying one for DD actually make sense? Given all the costs with maintenance, etc., is it worth it if you aren't using what it is built for? Will I get any more out of this than I do my Evo?

FWIW, I originally planned to keep the Evo and buy the M3 for DD. No real plans to mod whichever new car I end up with, besides maybe an exhaust, as I am burnt out on modding cars at the moment.

Thank you for your helpful responses for this GTR

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
1.) Yes GTR is a lot of fun to just jump in and drive around.

2.) GTR doesn't make sense as a daily driver. I was using my 2011 for it, but after looking at consumables and maintenance costs, I bought a Lexus to DD.

3.) I haven't ridden in an EVO but the GTR is a stiff ride, and pretty noisy with dual clutch transmission rattles and brake noise

4.) I actually haven't had any negative cop attention, and I drive to fast, and don't have a front plate and have never been pulled over in 13,000 miles

5.) I think the tech will always be pretty cool.

6.) The GTR is bigger then the mustang

7.) Never had an EVO can't compare insurance, but mine did go up from a Porsche.

8.) N/A

9.) I don't really miss a stick, I actually enjoy the paddle shifters, it is a little annoying when it doesn't shit as fast as you would like or you pull the lever twice to make it shift faster. lol.

10.) I work in a professional environment and as long as you don't put a really loud exhaust on it, it is a respectable car.

Ryan

Hey everyone! I am kicking around the idea of picking up a GTR for a DD. I have never seen one in person, so I have some questions I wanted to ask before I pursue this any further

1. I currently have an Evo VIII and this is the 4th Evo I've owned- they're a lot of fun. I wanted to ask those of you who have had both if you can compare the two for me. Obviously, I know the Evo will be slower unless pretty modded, but how does a stock GTR compare? To me, the Evo is a blast to just get in and just drive and I don't have to go crazy fast to enjoy its "crispness", I guess you could say.

I also have the following questions and would appreciate your responses on these as well:

2. Does the GTR even make sense as a DD? (As in, do you get more out of it than you would with something much cheaper like an Evo?) I know the Evo looks goofy, but drive-wise, what were the reasons you went to a GTR? What is it that YOU get out of it?

3. How rough is the GTR ride compared to a lowered Evo? I have just stock struts (non-Bilstein model) with lowering springs and although some consider it harsh, I really don't seem to notice...

4. Are these pretty big cop magnets like an Evo sometimes is? Also, do you have a lot of people "noticing" you and do you feel kind of silly about it, if you do? I feel almost silly sometimes with the big wing on the Evo and have debated taking it off, but never have- I know this would pretty much solve the problem with that car.

5. If I plan to keep the car long-term (5+ years), do you think that all the tech stuff will look pretty outdated/cheeseball-status in relatively short time?

6. How big is the GTR compared to an Evo anyway? I've heard it's a big car, but how big? The current Mustang is pretty big compared to my 05 Evo... Is the GTR similar in size to a Mustang? What car would you compare it to in size?

7. Insurance compared to Evo?

8. Those of you who switched from an Evo, do you miss anything about it?

9. You guys who were all into driving "manual-only", do you miss shifting?

10. Lastly, do you think it's respectable enough to drive daily to a professional work environment?

I have an order in for an E90 M3 right now, but after seeing prices of used GTRs, they caught my eye. I admit that I never liked the front of these cars at all, or the fact that they don't offer moonroofs, and that they are DCT only... But for the performance and high residual values like the Evo, I'm interested. And the car has been growing on me a lot lately too
I don't track though, so does buying one for DD actually make sense? Given all the costs with maintenance, etc., is it worth it if you aren't using what it is built for? Will I get any more out of this than I do my Evo?

FWIW, I originally planned to keep the Evo and buy the M3 for DD. No real plans to mod whichever new car I end up with, besides maybe an exhaust, as I am burnt out on modding cars at the moment.

Thank you for your helpful responses for this GTR

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^Hey thank you sharing! Any others who can answer some of the questions as well?

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
I had an Evo when I bought my GT-R--I no longer have the Evo...

There was @ least 1 or 2 pretty decent discussions on this--if you do a search, I'm sure you'll come up w/ them. Good luck.

·
Turbo AWD or Nothing
1,223 Posts
Just my 2c since i was bored.

1. I have a 2012 GTR and a STi (similar to the evo) and I can say that they are 2 completely different cars. Power, Suspension, driver involvement , general feeling. Just a bizarrely different world.

2. The GTR can very well be a DD. I bought a GTR because I wanted a AWD turbo beast that I can take to the track and be able to drive it comfortably on public roads. There weren't many options to go with beyond my STi, so I chose a GTR.

3. My STi has a Robi Spec KW V3 coilover setup for AutoX/Street and I can say that the ride in "Normal" mode is very similar to my STi set up in terms of harshness and ride quality. But the GTR has a better bushing set up so the ride feels much better. Throw the GTR into "Comfort" mode and the ride feels pretty soft (compared to the STi). "Comfort" mode is the setting i usually use for driving on the crap streets of NY.

4. My STi is blue with a loud exhaust and tints so I was constantly getting pulled over. But Id say the GTR is much low key than a Evo is for sure. I havent been stopped by police yet in the GTR since getting her a few weeks ago so I dont have much experience with them.

5. Doubtful

6. The GTR is a much bigger car than my STi but the most noticeable thing you will find is feeling the weight of the car. Id compare it to maybe a new 5 series BMW in terms of size.

7. Depending on how old you are. Im 25 with a clean driving record and the insurance is about the same as my STi (full coverage).

8/9. Driving manual use to be a hassle for stop-and-go traffic in NY for me (6 years of DD).....But now that I have the GTR, I actually do miss driving the STi alot. Although the GTR is superior in every way, driving on public roads with the GTR just feels like every other car on the road. Dont get me wrong, I love the GTR to death but the STi is much more involving (shifting wise). However, I do love just tossing the GTR into Auto and just relaxing. Enjoy the leather interior, comfort suspension mode, satellite radio, navigation, heated seats, general quietness, much less clunking and knocking noises, etc etc...I guess I need to mod the GTR alittle to give it some personality like my Subby

Overall, If you have the choice, Id try to keep them both. Id like to use the Subby during the winter for those snowy days and the GTR as my weekend car. Cant go wrong

·
<"))))><
3,706 Posts
The GT-R is a great daily driver in stock format. It is my only vehicle and I have not once regretted my choice.

On insurance, mine was cut in half compared to what I was paying on my M3 'vert -- will temper that statement by saying that I switched providers.

It is a big car but doesn't feel like it when you are driving. You can also fit several golf bags in the back, which is nice.

I dont think the ride is too bad, at all. The tires are noisy but all of the other trans/engine noises are just part of the experience and I have never minded or much noticed them. The trans is buttery smooth with the new trans update on the Cobb -- IMO this is a must for any owner.

Could say much more but I am sure others will chime in and cover the rest.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Its a better car for sure but if you already have the Evo as a DD, I'm not sure it makes much sense. The Evo is much better suited to daily duties. You don't have to worry about where you park that much or scraping your lip on everything. The GTR is almost a 2 seater in that the rear seats don't accomodate adults. It is also considerably larger than an Evo which may not feel as go-karty unless your driving well past the legal limits. The GTR is also a gas pig and more expensive to maintain, fluids-wise, than the Evo. In my opinion, you have a great daily driver already, in fact, a hopped up Evo X MR is probably my most desired daily driver at the moment. You will appreciate the GTR a lot if you use it in conjunction with your Evo (Evo for DD and GTR for more calculated travels). You may miss some of the things the Evo offers as a DD when switching to the GTR.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
the length is about the same as the evo. the gtr is wider. I have both and love driving both.

·
Registered
822 Posts
1. My cammed e85 Evo was about as fast as my Stock GTR although the GTR's power band and response is much better.

2. Does the GTR even make sense as a DD? (As in, do you get more out of it than you would with something much cheaper like an Evo?) I know the Evo looks goofy, but drive-wise, what were the reasons you went to a GTR? What is it that YOU get out of it? I DD the GTR and I think its superior, it has nav, bluetooth, sat radio and ipod connection. I had 2 evos since 2003 when they first came here and after that long I was just ready for something new and the GTR was the only thing I knew would make me forget about the Evo.

3. I had track spec coilovers on my evo and the ride is about the same as the GTR on R mode which is what I always set it to.

4. I feel like the evo got bad attention from cops and douche bags in civics, people always thought it was some stupid rice rocket. GTR gets good attention people basically hump your leg where ever you go in it.

6. GTR is deff a bigger car and you can feel it.

7. My insurance on the Evo was 220 a month the GTR is 170....

8. I do miss how raw the Evo was and the steering which is second to none.

9. Love the DCT but ya I do miss the shifting on my own but its a good trade off.

10. Im in finance and the GTR is a respectable work ride, coworkers always want to go for rides.

The GTR is the superior car and more fun to drive on a daily basis to me.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I had EVO 8 and E92 for the past. For DD, gtr same as EVO with 12k spring rate coilover. Gtr's runflat tires really stiff upbthe ride. For the BMW m3 in sport + mode, about same as 8k spring rate coilover for EVO

·
AllYourBoostAreBelongToUs
358 Posts
See my sig... I daily drive them both...in The winter though just the evo. My modded evo is slightly faster then my modded gtr, but the gtr is a nicer daily driver/panty dropper...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all for the replies! I am going to stick with what I have for now, and maybe revisit the idea in the future. Based off what I've read and the replies here, I am not able to justify picking one up at the moment, so I will stick with my previous plan.

Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Hi, I currently have the 2012 GTR (stock for the moment) and 06 Evo IX modded at around 400hp.
Previously before the GTR I had a modded E92 M3, so seeing your text I think I might be able to help

1. GT-R vs Evo comprasion: the GTR is way faster, point. i have seen many people saying evo can keep up etc. but you will not believe how fast the GTR is. I have been in modded GTR's with nearly 600hp and those are just mental. I have only been in my Evo (aprox 400hp) and dont want more power as I have it for mountain drives, tight corners, basically where it belongs. I think a well tuned Evo, making aprox this much power or more, can keep up with a GTR on a very twisty road with many corners, but this is the only place it can keep up. on a straight, to take on a stock GTR I'm guessing Evo would need stroker and at least 500-600hp, on a track something similar. But I am just guessing.

now, in terms of DD of both. GT-R is not as good DD as an M3. It is bigger, a bit harder and although the interior is great, the M3 is superior. M3 also has more space and bigger trunk. If you are coming from a Evo as DD, you have nothing to worry about, the Nissan is more "liveable" on the daily basis. Stock shocks are a bit hard (I have hipermax 3 on Evo set to medium), and GTR feel aprox. same in terms of harshness. However, it is nothing terrible, just sporty..

Finally, in terms of Fun, both GTR and Evo are fun! the difference is, the GTR is better as handling it's "double" personality. It can be a quiet and comfortable car, but if you wish, it can be a monster. If you have a quick Evo, it means it has to be modded, and a modded Evo, drive as you want will always be loud, tougher to drive etc. But I will say this, so far, I do have a bigger "smile" when I drive the Evo..Not that I dont love driving the GTR, but because the Evo feels more like a rally car, cheap interior with basically nothing inside, lighter, and man I love the weird sounds it makes (intake, bov, anti-lag etc.). Perhaps if I had a modded GTR this would change..

2. GTR DD does work. If you can afford it, the perfect combination I think is to have a normal car for DD and GTR for fun. In any case, I do think you can use it all day. However, if you really must invest everything in the GTR and give up on many other things in life, I suggest stay with Evo and buy a DD

3. As mentioned before, GTR stock vs EVO hipermax III = aprox similar but perhaps GTR a bit more comfy.

4. So far in my case, they attract attention from cops equally...but in different ways. Evo = cops look with angry face like they want to give me a fine for the exhaust and a slap for the wing, GTR = cops look like "wow nice ride"

5. I don't think it will be outdated as much, especially because it is so advanced today. Of course in 5+ years there will be a lot of new stuff in the tech department but a GTR in 5 years time it will still be one of the quickest cars out there, no doubt..

6. It is so big that if you go from Evo into the GTR you notice it, a lot! one of the first things you will do it probably scratch the from lip because it is so wide/low. However, with time you get used to it and it is not so hard to drive around. Do keep in mind though, in the Evo you sit much lower, especially in a lowered Evo. One thing I dont really like so much about the Nissan, is that the driving position is quite high, and my seat is all the way down. Compared to a lambo or r8 you really notice how much higher you are. I cant tell the feeling when inside a lowered GTR though..

7. In Europe Evo insurance is about 2/3 of GTR insurance.

8. Well luckily I still have both, but if I had to sell the Evo, what I would miss the most is feeling like a child when driving it! that is what the Evo is great for, it is just a blast to drive and like I said, all the weird noises as well!

9. Drive manual Evo and GTR in manual mode with the paddles. I dont miss the manual that much, at least not on the GTR. M3 was DCT-auto. I think these expensive cars are better with a dual-clutch rather than manual, especially if you DD. Evo I absolutely do prefer being manual. But no worries, I dont think you would miss it on a GTR.

10. Yes

my closing comment is, one thing I REALLY do miss from the M3, and something that in my opinion is one of the only and probably the biggest negative thing about the GTR, is the sound.
I had a full exhaust on the M3 and that V8 sound was just delicious. I really love cars with great engine sound and the stock GTR sound in my opinion does not do the car any justice. Way to quiet and not mean enough.
I've been in a GTR with modded exhaust and it sounds much much better, really great sound (which is why I cant wait to get an exhaust..) but whatever you do to it, I still think the M3 sounds nicer.

good luck and let us know what you decide!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have a fully stroked and modded evo 8 (selling) and a stock 2010 gtr..

Gtr feels more luxurious. Gtr feels faster (sometimes.. It depends what gear and speed you are going). Ride is better in gtr due to coil overs in evo. DD can be either. It is easier to park closer and in smaller spots with evo (I usually park farther away when in the gtr). I do miss the stick shifting! But it is a pain on hills, etc with the modded evo anyway. Much nicer to be in the gtr in slow traffic, jams, etc. Insurance is very similar. I think mine went up $20-50 when I got the gtr..

Mike

·
AllYourBoostAreBelongToUs
358 Posts
one more thing ill add... my EVO makes more sheer horsepower and is lighter then the GTR, but the GTR in every way shape or form is a superior car just on another level. every question u asked, the answer is GTR is better. i love my evo, and it is frankensteinishly fast and i enjoy it, but in no way do i have any delusion that the GTR is a superior car, at a different level. its a "big boy's evo"

·
Who Dat !
7,797 Posts
I drive an evo now , and have for the last 8 months... drove a GTR for 2 years... i miss the GTR alot... not just for the speed or looks, but it felt more complete and like a real car... Im getting annoyed at the evo ride and interior... I may actually be getting rid of it tomm for an S4 V8 for my DD and get another GTR next year. I had an evo 8 before as well.... they are fast... the evo steer better, its telapathic... and its easier to toss around... but thats about it... if you autoX alot then the evo, most tracks? GTR..... daily drive and track? GTR by a mile...

my insurance is about the same on the evo as it was on the gtr, but it is a bit less... im 32 now, good driving record...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had an Evo as my daily driver for a few years. I picked up a GT-R and sold the Evo but also picked up a 535xi wagon as my daily driver.

1. Compared to my old Evo IX, I would say that my GT-R definitely feels faster. But it also feels heavier. You lose some of that tossable crispness from the Evo, but the handling and stability is just on point. It feels like a polished and imperturbable speed machine.

2. I would definitely not have a problem DD'ing the GT-R. As it is, most of the time I do take the GT-R out, its either to work, or the grocery store. Rarely have I had a chance to really open it up, but when I do... its all smiles.
Ultimately I bought the GT-R because it represents everything I want from my dream car. Performance anytime, anywhere, with civility when just puttering around running chores.

3. The GT-R does not have a rough ride at all relative to a modded Evo. Compared to my previous cars: SRT4 with coilovers, Evo with Bilsteins and lowering springs, and my friends IS-F, it runs no rougher or smoother than any of these cars.

4. Any fast looking car will attract attention from cops. As for the GT-R, I get tons of positive comments... from enthusiasts who know exactly what it is, to random strangers at gas stations giving me props and asking what kind of car it is. If you hate attention or it embarasses you, avoid this car. But rest assured, all the attention I've ever gotten from this car has been positive (at least in the Pacific Northwest).

5. Nope. The GT-R UI is well layed out, and looks classy yet techy without going overboard.

6. GT-R is pretty big. Feels just as wide and a tiny bit shorter than my 535xiT and my wife's Lexus GS. Much bigger than the Evo.

7. More expensive for me. I'm a 30 year old, so it might be less now, but the GT-R is still more expensive, which I think is largely a factor of the price of the car, as well as repair costs for accidents.

8&9. I miss driving stick shift! But the feeling only comes once in a while. Everytime I get that feeling again, I floor it and it goes away.

10. GT-R is definitely respectable to drive to work. Although, I do work for a software company, and lots of us geek out over cars there anyways, so there is some sampling bias there.

As for purchasing a GT-R over an M3, I would actually argue that an M3 makes a better daily driver given the lower up-front cost, and the lower maintenance cost. But I also feel that the GT-R is on another performance level. If you can live with the known additional costs of tires and service costs, its well worth it. Hope that helps!

·
Who Dat !
7,797 Posts
Pics of your evo pls, Shahul. Or are you trading for an S4?
Traded in last night... Got a good deal on a nice 05 Audi S4 cab... My gf loves it.. Was only $16k, 65k miles... Great condition, sprint blue

I'll be looking for a 2012-2013 next year but if your ever selling Wraith, let me know! ;) she is the only 09-2011 GTR I'd consider

1 - 20 of 57 Posts