Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
2015 BE Gun Metal Grey Stock
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a link to the actual break in guidelines for the 1st 1000 miles or can anyone answer at least this question?

Can you launch it for the first 1000.miles? Also do you need an oil change at 1k, what is included in the first 3 years or 36k mile and since I am buying out of state I assuming the work can be done anywhere?

my 05 STI had real specific break in guidelines (got it new) and I kept it stock the last 11 years and it Has been a champ however it is time to upgrade

Sorry if some of these seem basic, however with Subaru build quality I have been out of the car market a long time

·
Registered
49 Posts
Here's a link to grab all of the manuals from Nissan: https://owners.nissanusa.com/nowners/navigation/manualsGuide
  1. Can you launch it within the first 1200 miles, sure, should you, probably not.
  2. According to the service manual, first oil change is at 6 months or 6,000 miles.
  3. Any Nissan dealership that is certified to service the GT-R can perform service, maintenance or warranty work.
BTW, I came from an 07 STi.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
As Lindell26 said, the break-in is specific in nature, and it's all in your owner's manual.

·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, I will read through it, still
Negotiating with dealerships and waiting to see if the incentive will go back to 10k by the end of the month

Looking at a new 2015

Lindell, how Do you like the paddle shifters v stick? That is really the only thing I could think I would miss - everything else is a huge upgrade

·
Registered
49 Posts
Lindell, how Do you like the paddle shifters v stick? That is really the only thing I could think I would miss - everything else is a huge upgrade
The paddle shifters are fun, they're not a stick, but they're fun. But I'm kind of lazy so the paddle shifters are nice in traffic.

Hope it works out for you, these are great cars, and no matter what the haters say they ARE fun to drive.

·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are most people getting the 6, 18, and 30 month check ups done? It appears those are not covered under warranty, does anyone know how much those are? Are they needed or overkill?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm picking my car up this Saturday and I'm not certain about service concerns. My car is new as well. Driving the car back about 400 miles.

Sent from my SM-N910T using GT-R Life mobile app

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
i started to launch my car after 300 or so miles on it. 3 years later and 20k miles the car does not burn a drop of oil ;)

·
Registered
867 Posts
Are most people getting the 6, 18, and 30 month check ups done? It appears those are not covered under warranty, does anyone know how much those are? Are they needed or overkill?
3 in depth inspections should be free. if you aren't driving aggressive and tracking I would make sure dealer at first service sets your camber and toe at "street" settings. First oils change isn't until 5-6k miles. After I hit 1k miles I started launching and driving more aggressive so I have the oil changed every 3k miles. Also I did request my oil be changed at 1k miles because the car had sat for 1 1/2 years at the dealer before it sold.(a 2015 brought in for a sale that fell through in February of 2014) the Owner of the dealer drove it for 400 miles in that time to keep it from going dry on seals and flat spots on rubber) then I grabbed it in June 2015 for 88,999.

·
Warrant Officer
700 Posts
Like Trent Reznor said, they recommend the first oil change much further along than I would. A new engine that is still being broken in, has a lot of metal shavings in the oil as opposed to, say, an engine with 30,000 miles on it (that's been properly taken care of). So I changed mine at 1,000, then again at 5,000, then 10,000 and so on. I don't track the car, I daily drive it, so a lot of it depends on what the car is being used for.

Also, I recommend getting a quality metallic drain plug. I used this company, as I read a lot of good reviews on their product. I picked up 5 crush washers from them as well to hold me over for the next 5 changes. http://goldplug.com/shop/ap03/

In the same vein as what I stated regarding engine oil changes, some people swap the transmission fluid after just one long, hot day at the track. It doesn't take much to get a stock car up to dangerous transmission temperatures, and if the needle goes into the red, the fluid needs to be changed immediately. However, for a guy like me who daily drives, I plan on using the manufacturer's recommended schedule of every 36,000 miles for DBA cars (18,000 for CBA cars).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts