Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I decided to start a thread for those who want to lose some weight. These are retail prices and just some suggestions, there are plenty of options out there. Just to give you guys something to think about.

20" AMT Forged Alloys $5,000 -25lbs unsprung weight

20" Toyo R888 $2,000 -22lbs unsprung weight

Stillen CCM Brakes $15,000 -38lbs unsprung weight

Greddy 94mm titantium midpipe/exhaust $5,000 -50lbs

Tillett/Ams/Password JDM seats $4,000/pair -80-100lbs (depends on bracket type)
or
Recaro Pole Position Carbon Kelvar $unknown -80-100lbs (depends on bracket type)

Voltphreaks Lightweight battery $1000-1200 -22lbs

Amuse Downpipes -13lbs?

Ams/Password Jdm CF hood -10lbs

Ams CF Roof -9lbs?

Ams Trunk -10lbs?

Removed rear seats -14.5lbs

Hks hipermax coilovers -15lbs?

Stillen coilovers -22lbs?

So, who has the cash for this?

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
you didbpick most of the expensive stuff lol. jc Whitney has some light weight seats for cheap... just get those and some custom brakets ... get light two price iron rotors not expensive ccms... georodisk seem to be light weight but a lil more expensive than most. zele Japan have some aluminum coilovers that are lighter iirc don't remember price.
plenty of cheap lower quality carbon fiber from China you can slap on at a cheap cost. you can also get a minimalist ti exhaust from China too for cheap.

rims you can go with 18s buy i wouldn't go too cheap with them... but you could get rotas if your careful.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
This ads up to 365lbs... Don't you need to subtract the standard weight of these items from that number? Do these items stock add up to 665lbs?

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
you didbpick most of the expensive stuff lol. jc Whitney has some light weight seats for cheap... just get those and some custom brakets ... get light two price iron rotors not expensive ccms... georodisk seem to be light weight but a lil more expensive than most. zele Japan have some aluminum coilovers that are lighter iirc don't remember price.
plenty of cheap lower quality carbon fiber from China you can slap on at a cheap cost. you can also get a minimalist ti exhaust from China too for cheap.

rims you can go with 18s buy i wouldn't go too cheap with them... but you could get rotas if your careful.
Why would any body want to go cheap on this? Not everything that is cheap is good, not good at all. You are talking about a car that you are going to drive at triple digit speeds. Hardly the item you would want to skimp on

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
I've got my car down 300+...

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
Why would any body want to go cheap on this? Not everything that is cheap is good, not good at all. You are talking about a car that you are going to drive at triple digit speeds. Hardly the item you would want to skimp on
i agree. i wouldnt but it can be done cheaper ... just being the devils advocate cause his point being its really expensive and that's not always the case.
also some things can be picked up 2nd hand on the cheap also. that aluminum zele suspension setup i saw used somewhere for really cheap.

also take into consideration that why would you make the gtr that light? if for motorsports you want to add a cage and the weight goes right back up.

and unless you modify the chassis or make the whole body carbon fiber etc your not going to remove much more than 300lbs give or take.

also if you have a high bmi you can drop a few lbs to help too by diet and gym.

how much will -300lbs net you in performance and gas mileage?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I've cut nearly 200 off mine for not that much dough. Exhaust, midpipe, downpipe, wheels, tires, battery, and CF trunk make up most of the lost weight. Going the extra 100 lbs is simply not worth the $$ IMO.

Most of these mods, spare the battery, I would do anyways since they give better performance and aesthetics.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
I've cut nearly 200 off mine for not that much dough. Exhaust, midpipe, downpipe, wheels, tires, battery, and CF trunk make up most of the lost weight. Going the extra 100 lbs is simply not worth the $$ IMO.

Most of these mods, spare the battery, I would do anyways since they give better performance and aesthetics.
I agree

·
Registered
601 Posts
You guys are forgetting a few weight saving measure -

Don't top off the fuel, 10 gallons of gas weights 65 pound
Go on a diet, I lost 15 lbs this last 6 months

Also Rotational mass reduction:

Pilot Super Sport Tires -35lbs rotational mass on outer edge. Somebody can do the mass but essentially this is equivalent to 100+lbs weight saving from the vehicle itself.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
can you list for us all the parts that got you to this weight?
*Akra Slip on exhaust
*Cobb cattted mid
*Titan DPs
*Lithium batt
*Titan 3" intakes
*KW Coilovers
*Tillet/Titan seats w/ hardware--rear seats removed for competition
*CCW 18s 10.5 & 12" 295/315 Hoosiers
*All mats removed & glove box empty
*Roll bar removed
*Abt ~2 gal gas

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
I like to drive around with a full tank of gas most times...I would do weight testing with full tank first

·
Registered
8,455 Posts
*Akra Slip on exhaust
*Cobb cattted mid
*Titan DPs
*Lithium batt
*Titan 3" intakes
*KW Coilovers
*Roll bar removed
*Abt ~2 gal gas
thanks bro!
I guess the tillet seats are a big part!!

how much do the KW's remove?

and which Lithium battery?

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
*Akra Slip on exhaust
*Cobb cattted mid
*Titan DPs
*Lithium batt
*Titan 3" intakes
*KW Coilovers
*Roll bar removed
*Abt ~2 gal gas
this is interesting. i got more weight saving mods and still weigh more than this

·
Registered
736 Posts
Removed rear seats -14.5lbs ?

Really when I removed mine they feel like they weight
Less than 5 pounds all together .

For myself I got the technocraft front and rear carbon fiber seats , and got a dry carbon hood.
Then lost 20 pounds by drinking lots of water over 1 year.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
thanks bro!
I guess the tillet seats are a big part!!

how much do the KW's remove?

and which Lithium battery?
Yep, seats abt ~72 lbs.

KWs only 7lbs or so (I just got JRZs, and they weigh almost the same as the KWs)

6lb batt

heacuva--I'm not sure why that would be. The scales the SCCA uses are dead-nuts accurate.

Mr Wayne--we weighed the seats @ 10 lbs. I do lean out a bit before the big events to help w/ the overall weight savings

1 - 20 of 28 Posts