Nissan GT-R Forum banner

What BC Forged wheel color for a jet black GT-R?

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Did you consider brushed grey? It looks better in the sample pic above rather than brushed black as brushed black has that goldish color to it.
Yeah, brushed grey was tempting as well. In some photos it looks nearly the same as brushed clear though as its barely tinted.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Grille Car

You can see the finish pretty well in this video.

Maybe I’m picky, but it appears to have a slightly reddish hue. I just wish it was a little darker and with a cooler blue grayish hue.

BC wheels can be had for a great price and they have many great light weight designs so I knew I wanted BC wheels ... but many of their finishes appear slightly off in one way or another to me compared to other wheel manufacturers.

I’m still slightly apprehensive about the gunmetal as it seems like a conservative choice that might not pop enough. I like how brushed clear pops out, but they would be a chore to keep clean and I realize this is a dated look. I supposed I could change my order to something like gold or crystal burgundy if I really want it to pop, but with colors that bold I would really want to see them in person first.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I ended up changing my order from gunmetal gray to dark brushed black mid production. I really like how brushed finishes change with light and viewing angle.

Wheels are finished now. Here is a teaser photo they sent me before being sending out. I think they came out great. I’ll post up more photos once mounted.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
467 Posts
Are those the KL01’s? If so I just ordered the same wheels for my Plaid in the same color but my car is white. Those look awesome. I was torn between these the RZ21 which is very similar. Thanks for sharing and confirming I made the right choice. How long did it take?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Are those the KL01’s? If so I just ordered the same wheels for my Plaid in the same color but my car is white. Those look awesome. I was torn between these the RZ21 which is very similar. Thanks for sharing and confirming I made the right choice. How long did it take?
Yes, thank you. They are KL01s in 21x10 & 21x12. The RZ21 design is very similar and I considered those as well. The KL01 spokes are a little more slender near the hub so they show more rotor and look a little better to my eye while weighing a little less. The hard part for me was picking a color.

They took about 5 weeks to make which is not bad at all for custom wheels this time of year and during a supply crunch to boot. These would look killer on a Plaid too while saving a bit of weight.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Yes, thank you. They are KL01s in 21x10 & 21x12. The RZ21 design is very similar and I considered those as well. The KL01 spokes are a little more slender near the hub so they show more rotor and look a little better to my eye while weighing a little less. The hard part for me was picking a color.

They took about 5 weeks to make which is not bad at all for custom wheels this time of year and during a supply crunch to boot. These would look killer on a Plaid too while saving a bit of weight.
Yes that is the exact reason I didn’t get the RZ21, because the spokes were a little fatter towards the hub. A lot of Plaid people get the Signature SV104 which is close to the BC RZ21. The other difference is the KL01’s design where the spoke meets the outer edge of the rim so it took me a while to get used to it. I just noticed you posted some pics of the KL01’s on cars previously and what sealed the deal for me was the red Ferrari with the dark brushed black wheels. I did a ton of searches for pics online and that one popped up.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Nice! HCA384? That looks like maybe brushed black face and gloss black lip with titanium hardware.

I really came close to getting one of BC Forged’s 2 piece wheels but couldn’t find much info on weights compared to their monoblock offerings. Cool looking wheels though.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
My BC Forged wheels showed up today. The wheels look great in dark brushed black. I'm glad I changed my order. I was surprised how similar this color is to the OEM DBA wheels.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

I'm especially thrilled with how light these wheels are for 21" wheels. As per my house scale:
  • 21x10 ET35 Front - 22.7 lbs
  • 21x12 ET20 Rear - 24.5 lbs
I know most people prefer 20" wheel setups. I feel a 21" fits the GT-R better aesthetically, but I didn't want a big weight penalty. From my research, the KL01 are one of the lightest if not lightest wheels BC forged makes.

Regardless if you go with 20" or 21" wheels these wheels are certainly worth considering if you want ultra light weight wheels. I found another thread online where someone weighed KL01s in 20x9 at 18.7 lbs and 20x10 at 19.8 lbs. I'm not sure what a 20x12 weighs but it has to be less than my 21x12. That would make these wheels lighter than most of the popular 20" setups. My 21's are about the same weight as OEM black edition wheels and drop ~2.5 lbs each compared to my premium wheels. Ditching my spacers will help shed some unsprung weight too.

Here are some other wheel weights for reference that I've found on other forum posts:

Premium wheels: 20x9.5 (front)= 25 lbs, 20x10.5 (rear)= 27
Black Edition wheels: 20x9.5 (front)= 22.7 lbs, 20x10.5 (rear)= 23.8 lbs
Forgeline GA1R open lug cap 20x10 (front)=22 lbs, 20x12 (rear) = 23 lbs
Advan GT wheels: 20x10 ET35 (front)=21 lbs, 20x12 ET20 (rear)=23 lbs

I'm itching to get these mounted up but NC is getting once in a blue moon snow this week so roads are a mess. I'll post up more proper photos once mounted.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Can’t wait to see them on the car. I use a mobile wheel guy to do all my wheels now. It’s so nice having him come to my house to install tires without me having to go somewhere. You should see if you have anyone trustworthy near you that is mobile.

Also, my wheel vendor suggested the KL01’s for the reason you stated, they are the lightest wheels they make and look good.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Off topic: ref mobile wheels installers, what type of balancing equipment are they using? Always thought they were more for the "daily driver" and not for performance cars... On topic: Great looking whees OP... they are now on my list

·
Registered
467 Posts
Off topic: ref mobile wheels installers, what type of balancing equipment are they using? Always thought they were more for the "daily driver" and not for performance cars... On topic: Great looking whees OP... they are now on my list
I’m not sure what balancing equipment my installer uses but the mounting machine is a really nice Corghi machine. My clear bra guy does wheels and I showed him the equipment my installer has and he said how good it was and that it was a much more expensive one than his.

I was a little skeptical at first because he operates out of a transit van and I needed 22” 315 wide run flat tires dismounted and remounted on new 22” wheels I bought for my X7 and asked him if he could do it. He kind of laughed and said he’s done Lambos and it’s no big deal. The other benefit is I watched him while he was doing it and he was super careful compared to most shops and even pointed out some flaws in my new wheels before he mounted the tires. I will never go anywhere else.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Can’t wait to see them on the car. I use a mobile wheel guy to do all my wheels now. It’s so nice having him come to my house to install tires without me having to go somewhere. You should see if you have anyone trustworthy near you that is mobile.

Also, my wheel vendor suggested the KL01’s for the reason you stated, they are the lightest wheels they make and look good.
Thanks for the suggestion. I found a mobile tire installation place servicing my area. On their google photos page they show a Supra rocking dark brushed black KL01s by pure coincidence. I’ll see if they can fit me in next week and are willing to install my tires and TPMS. It should greatly simplify things as I am wanting to transfer <500 mile tires from another set of aftermarket wheels. Logistically it would be a pain to transport both sets of wheels and the GT-R to a shop and back.

I just ordered lug nuts, ceramic coating, Schrader 33560 programmable TPMS and an Autel TS408. I plan to clone my OEM TPMS to the new sensors so I can swap wheels without the car noticing. All this stuff should arrive mid next week so I’ll try and line up a mobile installation appointment shortly after.

·
Premium Member
2,006 Posts
@GTRick the finish matches the OEM gunmetal pretty well. Looking forward to seeing them on the car.

+1 for the mobile installer route. We started using a mobile installer about two years ago and it is such an awesome convenience. I would never go back to the traditional tire store route. There's no more waiting around and needing to transport multiple sets of wheels/tires which sometimes requires two different vehicles to fit everything. Best of all, you get the same installer every time. We pay a $31 convenience fee and it is more than worth it. Our mobile installer is a husband and wife team and they also use the Corghi machines. They've done a few mounts/dismounts for the GTR including the factory runflats without any issues and also handle a lot of higher end car clientele around town. We lucked out as the husband has a motorsports background and understands what us performance car guys want/need vs the standard soccer mom installs. It's nice to not have to explain why we want things a certain way.

Reactions: GTRick

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
The local mobile installer never returned my calls. Since there is still a lot of salt on the ground, I took the wheels and tires to discount tire in another car and had them mounted and balanced, then installed them on the car at home. This worked out well as it gave me a chance to ceramic coat the wheels and calipers, clean out my wheel wells and finally install my Stillen mud flaps.

The light was low when I finished but I still got a few pics. I was surprised how subtle of an effect these make compared to stock but I’m still pleased as they subtly improve upon the stock wheels in a few ways. They are taller and wider yet lighter in weight. I can run a 325 series rear for improved traction. The spokes are thinner and slightly darker than stock so the brake calipers and rotors pop more. The brakes will be easier to clean now for sure. All around an improvement but I’m sure my neighbors and coworkers will never know the difference as these are so close to OEM color and they look like they could have come on the car from the factory.

The tires are slightly oversized with Michelin Pilot 4S 275/35R21 and 325/30R21. This throws the speedometer off by 3mph at 60 mph, but it has a few advantages. The 21s fill out the wheel wells better but I have close to stock sidewall height for better ride quality and traction instead of rubber band tires. There is less wheel gap even though car is not lowered. It looks 1/2” lower but I gain 1/2” ground clearance which helps leaving my driveway. Finally tires in this size are about a thousand dollars cheaper than the 21” set that retains OEM height and about the same price as the 20" Michelin tires I was previously running. Overall, I’m very happy with the wheels and tires and the PK Auto ordering experience. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend BC forged to others.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Window Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Land vehicle

Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Sky

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Looks great and great pics. Was wondering what was taking so long. Mine should be here in two weeks.
Thanks. Post up pics with them on your Plaid when you get them. I’m curious to see as I might get a Plaid in the future for family duties. That or a tri motor Cybertruck.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts