Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what are some of the types of turbo failure and causes of turbo failure that happen out there, and how to avoid as you start ramping up performance.

You read about turbo failure on very simple builds with good turbos, I am sure it happens to the big builds also when everything is stressed to the max

It seems very clear at what power levels you are risking the engine without upgrading internals but I have seen nothing on turbos

Thanks

· Registered
465 Posts
You read about turbo failure on very simple builds with good turbos, I am sure it happens to the big builds also when everything is stressed to the max

It seems very clear at what power levels you are risking the engine without upgrading internals but I have seen nothing on turbos

Thanks
A light assessment to go by again realize that each one of these are tuner, parts, luck dependent as a good tuner like with my HKS kit can make 695whp easy on stock block and I can bet it would put down 790+ on any local dynojet

Stock - FBO+E85 = good to 600ish and would probably last a good while on stock everything except tune, intake, injector, drop in pump, exhaust/dp ($2-10k part dependent)

600-800 = turbos/rods/pistons/Fmic/bigger fuel system n injectors probably need ppg 1 and some clutches and baskets ($10-50k)

800-1200= shortblock/ big turbos/ big injectors/ big pump fuel system/ probably gears 2-6 and clutches/ axles ($60-100k)

1300+ full long block/ biggest turbos/ total fuel system over haul lines gutted everything/ fully fully ready to go trans and axles/ radials to put the power down/ Race FMIC ($80-100k+)

^I'm sure I'm forgetting some things but again there are exceptions but if you get the right tuner you can run a car safely at the alpha 9/p800 levels all day and be fine. Just going to need some luck, good fuel that won't knock, and great tuner although you might lose low end to protect gears and rods since you can't be launching the s* out of it above 700whp on stock block constantly and have that power coming on too strong.

Also I'm sure if you really shop used on trans, turbos, short block you could really save some funds... I've seen some great deals on fuel systems, big turbos, people trying to dump trans, pre built short block, etc. So if you had good timing I believe any of those price points could be chopped in half)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.