Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's accepted that GTRs have a noisy transmission but what exactly are we hearing when at low speeds as its most noticeable.

I got the clunks as it shifts through gears but what is the origin of the other noises?

Someone told me that the drive shaft is continuously spinning which is part of what is heard.

Anyone know?

·
Founder/Admin
26,246 Posts
Its a very mechanical and raw car in general but easiest explanation is there are tight clearances on the flywheel especially when it gets hot when it rattles that echos out from under the car and above into the cabin. The transmission internals are constantly sprayed with oil not submerged which usually would help insulate some of the noise. Those two areas account for a lot of the common sounds owners notice as unusual.

There have been steps taken especially the last couple years to minimize these noises since Nissan doubled down on the GT aspect of the car but the fact is he core mechanics are the same as the original version. the GR6 transmission gets the job done but its not going to be as refined as the PDK or some other newer DCT systems

so its been with mixed results but much better than say a 2009 or even a 2012 to an extent

·
Registered
300 Posts
it been a myth. lol just kidding. but i think a lot of us already got used to it

·
Registered
203 Posts
For me, I notice it only when driving slow and the car downshifts. I don't hear it any other time. My friend's GT3 transmission is louder than any GTR I've been in. So I don't mind it as much.

Sent from my SM-N910T using GT-R Life mobile app

·
Pumps one and two, hit 'em!
321 Posts
On my 2015, it's most noticeable when cold.

It's nothing like the lightweight flywheel on the Supra 6spd.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts