Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hi guys... I'm just wondering how far I can push a DBA without changing the downpipes and airbox. I live in an area where smog is an issue and roadside checks are prevalent. i just want a clean, reliable build and not looking for crazy 1/2 mile power. Take the Nismo for instance - it uses the same downpipes and intake, but pushes 600 stock with just slightly larger turbos.

I know at higher boost levels, the downpipes are a restriction, but is there any other reason for removing them? Do the cats melt at some point?

I'm considering three possible stages of tune, stock motor, stock tranny, stock dp, stock airbox, 91 octane + 2 gallons of e85. How much power would I make with:

1. midpipe + tune + 1000cc + fuel pumps (would the extra fuel be pointless in this case?)

or

2. midpipe + tune + 1000cc + fuel pumps + ic piping + intercooler (would the intercooler be pointless, or would it allow more boost and in turn make use of the added injector headroom?)

or

3. midpipe + tune + 1000cc + fuel pumps + ic piping + intercooler + stock frame turbo upgrade (could this setup reach the limits of the factory rods? )

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
If you search Sponaugle ...........
You will see 550 WHP with 18 psi and all stock except mid pipe delete.
Cobb can help you get there with a custom tune .

Why do anymore and spend mucho money for little return.

·
Vendor
57 Posts
I'm considering three possible stages of tune, stock motor, stock tranny, stock dp, stock airbox, 91 octane + 2 gallons of e85. How much power would I make with:

1. midpipe + tune + 1000cc + fuel pumps (would the extra fuel be pointless in this case?)

or

2. midpipe + tune + 1000cc + fuel pumps + ic piping + intercooler (would the intercooler be pointless, or would it allow more boost and in turn make use of the added injector headroom?)

or

3. midpipe + tune + 1000cc + fuel pumps + ic piping + intercooler + stock frame turbo upgrade (could this setup reach the limits of the factory rods? )

thanks in advance!
1. That setup typically gains 50-60awhp over stock on 91oct, ~530awhp on an AWD Dynojet and fuel pumps would not be required. At this level, your tune could also remain emissions compliant.

2. The Intercooler and IC piping is worthless at this level unless you have intentions of extensive road course use.

3. Again the Intercooler and piping isn't needed, using a good stock manifold turbo upgrade you could safely gain 110-130awhp over stock through the factory downpipes. Special care would need to be taken with the tuning to ensure safety with those restrictive cats and like Chris said, this would require SD tuning since you need to keep stock sized MAFs. If you think you can get away with it, I would highly recommend a aftermarket catted downpipe.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
You can get away with stayiong with stock airbox if you use some drop ins, I am currently "FBO" but with stock air boxes and drop ins with a custome tune at 19psi! (they flow more than stock and tune is calibrated for that) I'm about maxed out on the MAF though, so next mods are turbo inlets and 3" intakes. You will want injectors though and you can have a nice "Stage 3" car with stock cats. Get a non resonated MP though. Well worth it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.