Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So? what tires are you currently running?

Pros, cons, likes/dislikes of your current set up?

Do you track, 1/4 mile, daily driver?

Be interested to see the collective feedback of the GTR community.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Bridgestone RE050A's 285/35/20 on stock rims.

Pro's - longer lasting track tire than ANY of the OEM choices. $100 per tire cheaper.

Con's - nowhere near as sticky as the OEM choices, or R888's. Non-track goer's notice the oversteer and looseness of the back end.

Track primarily, and around town to keep the oil circulated and keep the battery fresh.

Shawn

·
Registered
362 Posts
Nitto drag radials I beleive they are called nt555 in the rear and invos in the front, alpha 9 package and car sticks very good. Have to say in the rain the rears are like on roller skates but at least the invos have good traction in the front.

·
Premium Member
12,530 Posts
Hard to beat the OEM Dunlops for daily driving. R888's are great for track duty and dual street use. Michelin PSS's if you can make the sizes work for you. For track use..Hoosier R80's on 18's. For drag racing, MT streets on TE37 SL's.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
I've been running the Dunlop SP600's since my first tire change. My car came with the cold weather package. Why a cold weather car was even delivered to So Cal I have no idea. Anyway, it came with the Dunlop all seasons. After my first track day, I replaced them with the SP600's and have been running them ever since. They're fine for daily driving. I use them on track days, as well. I know there are probably better choices for the track, but I'm too lazy and cheap to buy a dedicated set up track tires/rims and swap them out on track days. I figure if the SP600's are good enough for Toshio Suzuki and the Nurburgring, they're good enough for a track hack like me.

I do run the 285's on all four corners, however. When its time to change this set of tires, I'm really looking forward to trying out the new SP600 Maxx tires that come on the 2012 GT-R, especially on the track.

·
Frenchy
203 Posts
R888... cons: had to buy a set of wheels (ADV.1) so that they fit properly (I hate how they look on OEM wheels)
On the track you have to watch out for tire presure, runing 2bar at cold they took 3.1bar on the track and had quite a bad traction, turned them down to 2.5 warm and they were just perfect.
They don't last less than the stock tires on the track so I'm quite hapy about that too (runing -1.6° camber all the way).
Price is about the same as OEM tires.

·
R36 Member
6,049 Posts
R888... cons: had to buy a set of wheels (ADV.1) so that they fit properly (I hate how they look on OEM wheels)
On the track you have to watch out for tire presure, runing 2bar at cold they took 3.1bar on the track and had quite a bad traction, turned them down to 2.5 warm and they were just perfect.
They don't last less than the stock tires on the track so I'm quite hapy about that too (runing -1.6° camber all the way).
Price is about the same as OEM tires.
how do the 888s fare as DD?

·
Registered
328 Posts
I went thru 3 sets of tires in my first season,living in Montreal,seasons are 5-6 months.

First set was oem Dunlops sp 600, Fine for dry/wet street and ok for track, didn't last long

Second set was oem Dunlops a/s 7010, great every day driving,very good in the wet,tracked 3 days and they are very loud screaming in each corner, wear is very good,last longer
Ex: mont tremblant track 1.57min 1.58min

Third set was Dunlop maxx 600 oem, these tire grip so much compared to the a/s, they don't scream at all, and the feel is fantastic, braking is also very good, with these tires I cut 5 to 6 seconds of the track times

Ex. 1.52min. But. They wear very fast , I tracked 3 days=15 stints of 30 minutes and about 3000km of normal driving , i liked those a lot but expensive and wear out pretty fast

Any of you guys knows if the tires have a number of heat cycles that are known and advertise?

Dunlops maxx600 seem to have around 14 heat cycles because after the 14 th stint they were not up to par, that's my personnel experience and maybe I should try something else than Dunlops.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went thru 3 sets of tires in my first season,living in Montreal,seasons are 5-6 months.

First set was oem Dunlops sp 600, Fine for dry/wet street and ok for track, didn't last long

Second set was oem Dunlops a/s 7010, great every day driving,very good in the wet,tracked 3 days and they are very loud screaming in each corner, wear is very good,last longer
Ex: mont tremblant track 1.57min 1.58min

Third set was Dunlop maxx 600 oem, these tire grip so much compared to the a/s, they don't scream at all, and the feel is fantastic, braking is also very good, with these tires I cut 5 to 6 seconds of the track times

Ex. 1.52min. But. They wear very fast , I tracked 3 days=15 stints of 30 minutes and about 3000km of normal driving , i liked those a lot but expensive and wear out pretty fast

Any of you guys knows if the tires have a number of heat cycles that are known and advertise?

Dunlops maxx600 seem to have around 14 heat cycles because after the 14 th stint they were not up to par, that's my personnel experience and maybe I should try something else than Dunlops.
Are these the 2012 GTR tires?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yokohama Advan Sport -

Pros - Softer ride, no tram-tracking, very secure in heavy rain. Not too shabby on the track - 4 track days and 4k miles - lots of life left!
O and did i mention - 1200 bucks a set!

Cons - Non RFT. Mild increase in body roll in hard cornering.

Overall a good fit for me...95% street driving, 5% track. No real issues with them at all. Im very pleased for the $$$

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I've been running the Dunlop SP600's since my first tire change. My car came with the cold weather package. Why a cold weather car was even delivered to So Cal I have no idea. Anyway, it came with the Dunlop all seasons. After my first track day, I replaced them with the SP600's and have been running them ever since. They're fine for daily driving. I use them on track days, as well. I know there are probably better choices for the track, but I'm too lazy and cheap to buy a dedicated set up track tires/rims and swap them out on track days. I figure if the SP600's are good enough for Toshio Suzuki and the Nurburgring, they're good enough for a track hack like me.

I do run the 285's on all four corners, however. When its time to change this set of tires, I'm really looking forward to trying out the new SP600 Maxx tires that come on the 2012 GT-R, especially on the track.
285's up front is not too much tire for the OEM wheel?

·
Frenchy
203 Posts
how do the 888s fare as DD?
You mean daily drive ?
My R35 is 70% track use and 30% street so my experience on R888 with the R35 is not big (my DBA R35 got only 4.000 miles).
I've been driving a few on stock wheels and I have to say they feel a ton better on proper size wheels on the road.
Stock or aftermarket wheels the added grip is obvious but the steering feeling is a ton more precise on wider wheels.

I got R888 also on my Twin Turbo 350Z but I need bigger size on the 350Z (800rwhp for 2500lbs is tight).

Another reason I like the R888 is that even on braking (Alcon + Spec-R Carbonetic) I now feel like I can use some even more agressive brakes (I'm probably going for an Alcon Super Kit with the new design they're releasing this month).

I did order 20 x A007 full slics for a second set of ADV.1 to help for track times though.

·
Frenchy
203 Posts
285's up front is not to much tire for the OEM wheel?
On stock wheels you'll be fine, on aftermarket ones you might need -1.6° camber but that's the camber I like anyway at the front (runing -1.65° at the back).

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I mean for the wheel itself. It's only a 9.5 up front.. Right? 285 seems like a big jump from the recommend 255.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Great thread Erik! On the NItto's 555 - I have heard good in the wet and now bad in the wet - any more feedback? R888's vs Nitto's?

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
I mean for the wheel itself. It's only a 9.5 up front.. Right? 285 seems like a big jump from the recommend 255.
9.5 is the minimum width for the 285. In fact, the R888's that are made for the GT-R are 285 front and I believe 315 rear. With the 285's in the front, you really can't tell visually.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts