Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,what will be considered a maximum safe mileage for full bolt on GTR running only 93 octane fuel, no track days and safe tune ? Basically my question is when should one consider not to push his luck anymore, drop the engine and straighten it with aftermarket internals ?

Thanks

· Registered
3,713 Posts
Too many factors at play. How aggressive is the tune, How much boost, maintenance routines, etc...

· Banned
1,316 Posts
It all depends on how you drive it. Beat the hell out of it and it wont last as long as if you baby it. However I am confused by what you mean pushing your luck. Engines don't normally end their life in a spectacular explosion. They slowly wear out piston rings, bearings, and other parts. That will still happen with forged internals. Unless you are pushing the design limits of the rods and pistons you shouldn't have to worry.

· Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
However I am confused by what you mean pushing your luck. Engines don't normally end their life in a spectacular explosion. They slowly wear out piston rings, bearings, and other parts. That will still happen with forged internals. Unless you are pushing the design limits of the rods and pistons you shouldn't have to worry.
I mean that this is not 1.6 liter Honda civic, instead it is an twin turbo engine pushed to the maximum with bolt ons , as you said internals will wear slowly but eventually will be there a day when at WOT engine will give it up in a dramatic way? should an engine overhaul be less expensive to do before something like that happens ?

· Registered
599 Posts
Lol 400k?
I think he might mean kilometers.

To op I think a lot of factors determine how long your engine will last. Not sure there are many people with really high mileage. Maybe you could make a poll. Either way leak down tests,compression test, inspecting cylinders with a bore scope, and other tests can give you an idea of whether or not your engine is wearing out.

· Banned
1,316 Posts
I mean that this is not 1.6 liter Honda civic, instead it is an twin turbo engine pushed to the maximum with bolt ons , as you said internals will wear slowly but eventually will be there a day when at WOT engine will give it up in a dramatic way? should an engine overhaul be less expensive to do before something like that happens ?
Bolt-ons do not push your engine to the limits. It may be close on E-85 but you are using 93. Of course there is always the possibility that any engine can fail.

On a side note, so glad preseason football is on right now. Go STEELERS!

· Registered
1,379 Posts
no unless you are detonating there wont come a day when @wot you have some horrendous engine failure. It will slowly make less power, burn and leak oil bearings will wear and eventually you'll get some rod knock etc. But this is probably 150-200k miles in. This may not be a 1.6l honda but its not designed like one either. To give you an idea I pushed my little nissan 240sx motor to 288000 miles making about 500whp which is about 4 times the power of stock and beating on it like crazy before the valve stem seals and rings were super worn. You have nothing to worry about IF your tune and maintenance are RIGHT.

· Registered
3,833 Posts
Panda Performance has a Switzer P800 with 100,000 miles on it.
WTF?! 100k miles? Damn!!!!! With a P800 setup, what's that car putting down? I'm assuming its running both upgraded engine internals and tranny internals?

I'm not looking to break any a who records, bolt ons with E85 is enough power for me but I do want the car to last a very long time. I've got 34k miles on it now.

ModFreaksGTR

· Super Moderator
9,355 Posts
WTF?! 100k miles? Damn!!!!! With a P800 setup, what's that car putting down? I'm assuming its running both upgraded engine internals and tranny internals?

I'm not looking to break any a who records, bolt ons with E85 is enough power for me but I do want the car to last a very long time. I've got 34k miles on it now.

ModFreaksGTR
Not sure of details. Might be on stock block and tranny as most P800's are. It was posted on this site a few months back.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.