Nissan GT-R Forum banner

What's your experience with slicks on the GT-R?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Jason@BoulderNissan 
I started (when I first got my GTR) with the oem's, then quickly changed up to Hoosier R6's for about a season and a half. This season I again changed to Hoosier R100 slicks. I currently have two set of wheels and tires (HRE 18's with Hoosier R100's). My experience is that the R100's last a bit longer than my R6's. That said I still go through a set fairly quickly depending on which track I am running. That is why I always have a second set on hand. Like other have mentioned, overall improvement on the track. The slicks are harder on brakes ( although reduced wheel clearance may also contribute). I have found the slicks to have a better feel for me than the R6's. When I ran the r6's they would heat up quickly and performance would begin to suffer. The R6's would begin to move around quite a bit. On the R100's the grip level is higher but they don't seem to heat up and heat cycle quite as badly if that makes sense.

As we know as you increase grip your window for error shrinks. I have found the R100's to be very communicative. I have never had them break loose unexpectedly. Typically this tire will break away smoothly. Whereas, I found my R6's to be much more aggressive in their transition from grip to slide if that makes sense.

Overall, I love this set up on my car. But I also run very stiff springs (1200/1000) on my JRZ's with more than 3 degrees of negative camber. Not sure of your set up but you may need to make some suspension changes to fully utilize what a slick can offer.

Sorry about the long reply. Let me know if you have any other questions and I will try to answer in greater detail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.