Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 F80 M3 Comp
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been looking for a GTR on and off for a few years and wish I bought one pre Covid times but I cant change that. But I will say looking at cars from 09-18 I see so many used ones with 4-6 owners sometimes. So is this just a huge red flag to stay away and what is the reasoning behind so many cars having over 4 owners? Some even at 55k miles and have 4 owners?

thanks

·
Founder/Admin
26,577 Posts
yes you are on to something. Ive noticed this throughout the years. ive always thought the GTR can sometimes appeal to a group of buyers that see it as a toy or maybe they are coming from more prestige brands and its just something to try out and they eventually move on to something else. while I dont think there is one blanket statement reason for why you do indeed see so many multiple owner GTRs , a higher end sports car in general does have a higher turnover rate and then you add in the branding and I think that is at least a factor in some of these cases.

I also know a lot of members on here that stay in the GTR world but swap them out for the newest model every few years so there is that aspect too. Then there is situations like people got in over their heads ect. Going back to what I first said I have to say the curiosity factor of the car then that wearing off and someone going back to a mclaren or lambo porsche is something ive first hand seen happen. This car is also now 14-15 years old so the older cars are going to have been passed around a bit by now

Im not sure you can say a multiple owner car is always a red flag and i would research case by case and it could be the owners and not the car. with that said I would personally be hesitant and would wonder what the story was on a car that has had 4-6 like you said.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So I have been looking for a GTR on and off for a few years and wish I bought one pre Covid times but I cant change that. But I will say looking at cars from 09-18 I see so many used ones with 4-6 owners sometimes. So is this just a huge red flag to stay away and what is the reasoning behind so many cars having over 4 owners? Some even at 55k miles and have 4 owners?

thanks
I noticed when looking that there seemed to be a ton of them around the 30k mile mark as well. My thought on that was people not wanting to pay the "expensive" 35k service. I bought mine with 28k miles and 2 previous owners with the average per year mileage for both owners around 3.5k miles. My guess is people realize they are paying a 100k car note on a Nissan they barely drive and switch to something that is more daily driver oriented or something that warrants only putting 3k miles a year on IE: a true exotic.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I wouldn't call it a red flag, sounds like you're being too picky if you have been searching for years! Many reasons for multiple owners, if all the service history is there, it shouldn't be an issue. Life is too short...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Most people keep a car for an average of 5 years. Exotics, are more like 3 years. So 4 or 5 owners on a 2009 seems to match that average. So long as the vin verification, car fax, and service records are all good, I wouldn’t worry.

Consider this, almost everyone changes their phone every year for the latest and greatest, even if the newer phone isn’t THAT different from the old one. Despite the fact that phones are over $1,000 now, most people can afford the payment. Cars are no different. Most people want the newest and best, and don’t want to pay for milestone services. And if you can afford the payment for the latest and greatest, why not?

·
Registered
18 F80 M3 Comp
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess that makes sense as I myself usually change cars every year or 2. But it's not just some it's so many that have so many owners and I really haven't seen that in other cars like BMW or Porsche.

Thanks for the replies, also seeing a Carfax is golden also in this research.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I guess that makes sense as I myself usually change cars every year or 2. But it's not just some it's so many that have so many owners and I really haven't seen that in other cars like BMW or Porsche.

Thanks for the replies, also seeing a Carfax is golden also in this research.
Don't totally trust Carfax. My Evo 9 had 13k in hail damage and that does not show up on Carfax. My insurance at the time was Progressive and I went through a body shop that has 100s of locations around the US.

·
Registered
18 F80 M3 Comp
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't totally trust Carfax. My Evo 9 had 13k in hail damage and that does not show up on Carfax. My insurance at the time was Progressive and I went through a body shop that has 100s of locations around the US.
I get that but I do like to see what each owner had done if recorded meaning maintenance or any issues that might have popped up. Lots of failed emissions seems to be a thing with tons of owners of the same car.

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
Just be careful when there are multiple owner of any used car. Some are very good and take proper care of their cars while others are just for the short term messing around.
In my area the early owners would keep their cars longer but newer ones are often kept for less than a year if that long then sold as they loose interest or move on.

A few owners like the ability to mod the GTR and go wild with all sorts of power or cosmetic additions. Few are built to perform as my area has no drag strip or track, just car shows and street driving. If your area has relaxed laws about mods on cars then it isn't a big deal but you should be aware that sometimes mods can alter a car and make it much less reliable.

Obviously a stock GTR is more likely to be driven on the street and less abused in theory, harder miles are when they are track driven or launched a lot. It's also easy to see how much wear and tear the interior can get from past owners, the materials aren't very durable so just visually check for damage to the finishes inside, some things can be cosmetically repaired so it's OK.

For cars that have had many owners it is very hard to say what happened over the years, you might assume the worst and just be prepared for the unknown. Even carfax doesn't show unreported damage or incidents. A good visual inspection by someone who knows what to look for is important, take your time and use good lighting. You be the judge.

I am the original owner of a 2009 GTR bought in Nov. 2008 and I know every small detail of how my car is doing. Things break as time goes on so just have to make the repairs and keep up the maintenance which isn't bad.

Reactions: Ultimateone

·
Registered
28 Posts
I get that but I do like to see what each owner had done if recorded meaning maintenance or any issues that might have popped up. Lots of failed emissions seems to be a thing with tons of owners of the same car.
I get where you're coming from but that isn't always great either. For example, I had my 35k service done at a shop that specializes in GTRs instead of taking it to the local Nissan dealer. I highly doubt this maintenance will show up on my Carfax. I'm not saying Carfax is bad, it is just not the end all be all some make it out to be.:) Good luck with your continued search.

·
Founder/Admin
26,577 Posts
was curious about this and I just looked at the carfax on my GTR as had a full fluid service ( trans diff engine coolant everything) done at the dealer last july. the service entry for it is indeed there but its just a generic oil and filter change and check tires doesnt detail it.

·
Registered
2022 Mexico Blue M4 Comp xDrive
345 Posts
I saw this phenomena on 911 Turbo S and GTR when I was in the market. Besides all the rational explanations already said, I believe that GTRs are not for everyone. Just like when some people feel the need to buy a sportbike because they think they look cool, but after long rides and a body full of aches, they realize it's not for them. GTR does not offer comfort, but is one hell of a fast, fast BEAST, with the looks and sound to match.

Besides paying attention to the # of owners, I also stayed away from 'Auctioned' GTRs. No matter how some people like to sugar coat these two factors, it raises a flag for me personally. Like Crepr12 said, buy NEW if you can and have peace of mind.

On a side note: If you're not into the looks and sound of a GTR and like a less expensive way to go fast at FBO/e85 and below, I would suggest what I'm driving now; they sell at MSRP and service is slightly better than Nissan ;)

·
Registered
10,365 Posts
In some states, dealers actually title the car and are listed as owners. Check the miles on carfax.

It’s pretty common in the higher end cars too. They change owners quite frequently.

You can see a Huracan with a new owner every year and when you add the possible dealer title issue, it can get 6+ owners orettt quick.

Again check the mileage and get a consult pulled from the dealer to confirm mileage is in line with titling and state inspections.

·
Registered
18 F80 M3 Comp
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On a side note: If you're not into the looks and sound of a GTR and like a less expensive way to go fast at FBO/e85 and below, I would suggest what I'm driving now; they sell at MSRP and service is slightly better than Nissan ;)
Ha, I've owned 5 BMW's and I just have a hard time seeing myself in the G8X cars but I agree their performance is showing to be wild as hell.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sometimes they flip the car to make some money. Some people get tired of the car fast, Now if the car had 8 owners That's when I would worry and do deep history on it
For example: I bought 09- it shows 3 owners, BUT actually I'm a second owner. Original owner moved 3 times, from Cali to NCal, and to Chicago.

I used to own f80 m4 6spd for about 2 years. GT-R is way more fun! :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm the 3rd owner of an 11 with 24k miles. First owner asian lady , 11k miles next owner dude from Monaco. No shit. Guy had 2 gtrs , 2 vipers, fd rx7. 3 old school supras and well I asked if the plane in the hanger was his. He said he leased that. My car was his Second gtr first one he put 60k on so he knew the platform. He was going to do mods to mine but bought a 2017 that already had fbo's.

·
Registered
2012 GT-R Premium
7 Posts
I searched for about 6 months and also noticed that many had multiple owners. In my opinion, I think that some people don’t really know what they’re getting into when they get one. For the money I’m sure they are expecting maybe something with a high end interior and amenities. Don’t get me wrong, the interior is not shabby, its just probably not what people expect for that kind of money. Nissan made the car to go fast and eat up these other luxury sports cars for a better price so they had to give up a little something. I bought mine at a high end dealership that had a Lamborghini, Porsches, and other high end cars. They were 6 hours from where I lived so I had them take it to the nearest Nissan dealership to have it checked out before I came down to purchase it. You have to expect that most people who have owned this car has ran it hard at some point, some more than others. Do your research and I think you should be fine. I will never regret my decision to get mine. It is the next best thing in my life besides my family.

·
Driver
208 Posts
... In my opinion, It is the next best thing in my life besides my family.
Sounds weird, but I have to agree.
I'm an only child going to be divorced soon, so I have no family, no wife, no friends close.
So it's just me and my cats and my GTR!
Yeah, poor me.

Reactions: gixy2k

·
Registered
69 Posts
I searched for about 6 months and also noticed that many had multiple owners. In my opinion, I think that some people don’t really know what they’re getting into when they get one. For the money I’m sure they are expecting maybe something with a high end interior and amenities. Don’t get me wrong, the interior is not shabby, its just probably not what people expect for that kind of money. Nissan made the car to go fast and eat up these other luxury sports cars for a better price so they had to give up a little something. I bought mine at a high end dealership that had a Lamborghini, Porsches, and other high end cars. They were 6 hours from where I lived so I had them take it to the nearest Nissan dealership to have it checked out before I came down to purchase it. You have to expect that most people who have owned this car has ran it hard at some point, some more than others. Do your research and I think you should be fine. I will never regret my decision to get mine. It is the next best thing in my life besides my family.
From a daily driving standpoint, it is neither comfortable nor luxurious. I'd love an Audi or Lexus to commute in, but they would be less fun to drive.

OP- don't rule out a car solely because of number of owners listed. I own a car with 5-owner history, and 3 of them are "me." Owned car, went to wife in divorce, bought it back from her = 3 registered owners on a title check. We all want a one-owner, mint, original-condition car, but I wouldn't pass on a good deal on a GTR right now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts