Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an AAM midpipe and Stillen exhaust with no Cobb AP or tune right now

My next mods are a custom dyno tune for 91 oct (California) with an intake system (undecided still)

Will these mods max out my MAF sensors on the intake (or get close to)?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
With custom tune, Yes if 2.75", no if 3". With 3" you will get around 4.6x V, with 2.75" over 4.91v (saturation). When you do have Cobb, see it for yourself on the datalog.

·
Vendor
4,614 Posts

·
Vendor
3,046 Posts
I have an AAM midpipe and Stillen exhaust with no Cobb AP or tune right now

My next mods are a custom dyno tune for 91 oct (California) with an intake system (undecided still)

Will these mods max out my MAF sensors on the intake (or get close to)?
With the factory down pipes there is no need for 3" intakes, unless you just want them. They will provide no power gains until you do downpipes at a minimum.

Especially if you are E-Tuning I would strongly suggest you stay with factory size intakes. With the stock turbo inlets they neck down to less than 2.5 inches anyway, so there is really no point.

The only time we recommend going to 3" intakes is if you are maxing out the MAF on your setup, which should be far from the case given your current mods.

Just to give you an idea we have made 800whp through factory size intakes before...not to say there is no advantage to 3" ones, but at your power level there is not.

Let me know if you need help with the tune, happy modding

~Cicio

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Put on 2.5" with stock downpipe and run a tune that run 10's and see for yourself if you are past 4.91v. Going to 3" is the cheapest way I know to keep it under 4.91v. You can also stay with 2.75" and upgrade the MAF, but not as cost effective. I guess as an engineer, I always want safety margins.

With the factory down pipes there is no need for 3" intakes, unless you just want them. They will provide no power gains until you do downpipes at a minimum.

Especially if you are E-Tuning I would strongly suggest you stay with factory size intakes. With the stock turbo inlets they neck down to less than 2.5 inches anyway, so there is really no point.

The only time we recommend going to 3" intakes is if you are maxing out the MAF on your setup, which should be far from the case given your current mods.

Just to give you an idea we have made 800whp through factory size intakes before...not to say there is no advantage to 3" ones, but at your power level there is not.

Let me know if you need help with the tune, happy modding

~Cicio

·
Registered
520 Posts
Put on 2.5" with stock downpipe and run a tune that run 10's and see for yourself if you are past 4.91v. Going to 3" is the cheapest way I know to keep it under 4.91v. You can also stay with 2.75" and upgrade the MAF, but not as cost effective. I guess as an engineer, I always want safety margins.
Based on my datalogs, I can vouch for this being true.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Ask your tuner to calibrate the car using Cobb's Speed density conversion. If mapped properly the car will run much smoother and you will no longer need to worry about maxing out the MAF voltage.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for replies!

Got boost-I definitely like your intakes. I'm definitely considering them.

Doug, Cicio...I'm having my car tuned in person at SP Engineering In a month or so. Eugene said not to worry as with my mods he has not seen this issue as a concern. I like the option of being able to go to stock (uninstall Cobb) and be able to leave the 2,75" intakes in as they can also be run without a special tune.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Im using Gotboost 76mm and I hardly needed to recalibrate the MAF curve.. All I needed to was just change the fuel multiplier and the car was WOT able.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts