Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas, I'm hoping someone can possibly lend a hand or hopefully some information.

My GTR has a pretty nasty whining sound when cruising under a load. Particularly noticeable at highway speeds.

It sounds a lot like rear-differential gear whine.

Has anyone experienced this before? Any ideas on the best way to repair or what to replace to fix it?

Thanks!
Louie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· gta88ws6
834 Posts
Done any mods to the car, like fuel pumps?

What year and how many miles??

Sent from my HTC6535LVW

· Registered
1,462 Posts
Does it do it on cold start ups as well?

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hello everyone, sorry for the delay.

car is a 2009,

did it when it was completely stock when i bought it. it is now FBO E85. definitely not the fuel pumps, if there is no load on the gears at highway speeds(whether accelerating or decelerating) the noise went away.

Thanks!

Louie

· Registered
114 Posts
I have an 09 with a Jacks 800Road Race and it does have a whine to it as well. Not sure if its the sound of the trans or something else....

Sorry that I can't be of more help but maybe others can chime in to see if its a common thing with 09's

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have an 09 with a Jacks 800Road Race and it does have a whine to it as well. Not sure if its the sound of the trans or something else....

Sorry that I can't be of more help but maybe others can chime in to see if its a common thing with 09's
Thanks man! Im looking to have the trans built soon, but if this is going to be an issue i would rather buy another and build it than send this one out. thats my main concern

· R35 member
3,069 Posts
Thanks man! Im looking to have the trans built soon, but if this is going to be an issue i would rather buy another and build it than send this one out. thats my main concern
I have one for sale right now. 3900 plus shipping.

· El Diablo
673 Posts
I get the same whine. The car has been checked over a million times and nothing. I am running aftermarket everything so I figure it just comes with the territory.

· R35 Member
79 Posts
Have you checked the diff fluid level, or oil condition? How many miles? Has the rear diff fluid ever been serviced? What tire sizes are being used on the car? These are all important factors with diff performance and longevity. A diff whine is not normal in any sense, especially under load. Sounds to me like your pinion bearings are wearing out. Youre asking for bigger problems if not looked at properly.

· Registered
93 Posts
Have you checked the diff fluid level, or oil condition? How many miles? Has the rear diff fluid ever been serviced? What tire sizes are being used on the car? These are all important factors with diff performance and longevity. A diff whine is not normal in any sense, especially under load. Sounds to me like your pinion bearings are wearing out. Youre asking for bigger problems if not looked at properly.
Thanks buddy! i assumed as much to be honest.

I found a SHEP 2.5 trans locally and ended up just buying it outright. Going to be swapping it into the car any day now. once i do i think i will pull the rear diff off of the old trans and take a look at the gears and bearings. Ill post my findings as i can pretty much guarantee that it is rear Diff noise.

New fluids were put in about 2000 miles ago, had no positive or negative affect on the whine.

Car has 22k miles now, but i do believe the previous owner hit a curb with the right rear wheel which could/would cause this damage. i had to replace two rear suspension pieces that were bent on that side of the car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.