Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I recently bought a white '14 GTR and had the entire front end (front bumper, entire hood, entire fenders, mirror caps) wrapped in paint protection film. I had the front paint corrected before the PPF was applied so it looks great after a wash now. The back bumper is plastic so I don't see any scratches there.

The area that doesn't look good is both doors and the entire quarter panels. I've tried 2 sources. A "detailer" that my dad recommended and he was absolutely garbage. Charged me $150 CDN and used turtle wax products (that right there should have been a red flag) and he put in more scratches then he took out.

So I thought to myself maybe I got what I paid for. I tried taking it to a proper shop and was charged $390CDN for a full exterior wash, polish, wax, and sealant. Still not 100% gone.

So now I'm debating one of 3 options:

1. Just get over it and live with the scratches
2. Spend $700 CDN and get it properly paint corrected with a coating of opticoat or Cquartz coating.
3. Ask you guys if there is anything I can do with off the shelf products to eliminate these scratches.

*note* These scratches are very fine. There aren't any swirls. Just a lot of tiny scratches in the clearcoat that I can see under direct sunlight.

Thanks a ton guys

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
After seeing this I'm so glad I decided to clear bra the rest of my white 15 GT-R after getting just full front done. It was pricy but worth it in the long run I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Goofball in a racecar
682 Posts
After the nightmare I had removing mine, I am truly scared for you.

posted from my phone... not responsible for typos or clown attacks.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
After the nightmare I had removing mine, I am truly scared for you.

I'm not worried. I don't plan on removing for another 9 or more years. And if/when I do I'll be sure to have my original receipt and file a claim with Xpel if that shit does happen to me.

·
Goofball in a racecar
682 Posts
See mine was on for 6 to 7, I was told it should have been removed between 3 and 5

·
Registered
168 Posts
It does not sound like it but are the scratches deep? Can you catch them with your finger nail? Even with proper paint correction 100% defect removal may not be possible. I am not a PPF but film will hide minor defects.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
See mine was on for 6 to 7, I was told it should have been removed between 3 and 5

3-5 years doesn't make much sense to me. If after spending thousands of dollars on full PPF only to have to remove in 3-5 years?

What type of PPF did you use?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The detailer that charged me close to $400 told me this statement. Not sure how true it is

"Over time, as you build up layer upon layer of wax and protectants, swirls, scratches and other imperfections will slowly become hidden under all the layers of protection"

What do you guys think of that?

·
Goofball in a racecar
682 Posts
3-5 years doesn't make much sense to me. If after spending thousands of dollars on full PPF only to have to remove in 3-5 years?

What type of PPF did you use?
Not sure, on the car when I bought it - pretty sure it was a dealer installed piece of seran wrap melted on with heat and gorilla glue lol

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Not sure, on the car when I bought it - pretty sure it was a dealer installed piece of seran wrap melted on with heat and gorilla glue lol
Oh okay. I don't think a big company like Xpel would make a product that would be that difficult to remove. Nevertheless, only time will tell since Xpel Ultimate is somewhat of a new product. I will be sure to use an authorized installer when/if it comes time to remove.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts