Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
The tires are close enough in size that you shouldn't have differential or traction control issues. However, they are about 1" shorter than stock so there are appearance differences. If that doesn't bother you, they should work fine.

·
I'll eat you like a KitKat woo who
1,357 Posts
This will not work. I had this set up and when you go down hill at wot. My GT-R would shut the gas off. It only got worse as the tread life decreased. It was very annoying. I think the rears were spinning faster than the fronts. I only had my PSS for a few months and had to replace them with PSS 285/35/20 & 295/35/20. This is a very good set up for stock rims.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This will not work. I had this set up and when you go down hill at wot. My GT-R would shut the gas off. It only got worse as the tread life decreased. It was very annoying. I think the rears were spinning faster than the fronts. I only had my PSS for a few months and had to replace them with PSS 285/35/20 & 295/35/20. This is a very good set up for stock rims.
Wow, that's crazy! So, once you changed those tires out to a different set, the problem immediately went away? Did you try doing the same wot going down the same hill?

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
Thanks Dyjo. And you are sure 285/35/20 & 295/35/20 is what to go with? The front can take the wider tire fine?
Those are definitely what you want over the sizes you mentioned. I thought you might have gotten a steal of a deal on those other sizes. Unless you did, the sizes Dyjo1 has listed are a much better bet. I ran them for 8000 miles and only switched because I got wider wheels. My tires still look almost new, BTW.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those are definitely what you want over the sizes you mentioned. I thought you might have gotten a steal of a deal on those other sizes. Unless you did, the sizes Dyjo1 has listed are a much better bet. I ran them for 8000 miles and only switched because I got wider wheels. My tires still look almost new, BTW.
Great. Thank you audioenvy. I like seeing that I can go wider to that size. Looks like this is what I will go with.

·
I'll eat you like a KitKat woo who
1,357 Posts
I drove in R mode and it still did it. The reason I bought this bc the oem size was not out for the PSS at the time. It was a great deal at the time too. Like Audio said, you can run them. I actually bought them bc Audio had them on his car 1st. Let me find a link for you.

·
Registered
201 Posts
America's Tire won't put 285/35 on the 9.5 front stock wheels. They said it was too dangerous. I'm assuming that there are several members that run this 285/295 combo with no issues? (Specifically danger factor for the front wheel?)

America's tire suggested 275/40 front and 298/35 rears but the OD difference is 0.53 inches. From what I'm reading this may cause drivetrain issues.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
America's Tire won't put 285/35 on the 9.5 front stock wheels. They said it was too dangerous. I'm assuming that there are several members that run this 285/295 combo with no issues? (Specifically danger factor for the front wheel?)

America's tire suggested 275/40 front and 298/35 rears but the OD difference is 0.53 inches. From what I'm reading this may cause drivetrain issues.
Most retail and outlet tire businesses will only want to mount tires of OEM size on street cars. If you need non standard sizes mounted then go to a tire specialty shop that will mount what you want, just ask. If you cannot find a local shop then go to your local Sportscar club of America organizer (search for their facebook, forum or contacts) and ask what tire shops they use.

A difference of 0.5 inches is way too much. 1/4" or less or roughly 8mm is the limit. Ideally it should be equal front and rear tire diameter.

For stock suspension 285/35-20 tires will fit front and rear wheels on a GTR. 285/35 tires fit rims 9.5 to 11" wide, perfect for 10" rim. GTR has front 9.5" and rear 10.5".

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thanks again Brad, I actually spoke to another person at America's tire. He was willing to mount it for me regardless of what his computer says. Had a run in with the availability of the 295/35 for the rears so I'll be going with a square set up with 285/35 all around. I know in another thread you said that this is probably not necessary for street use, but I figured I'd give it a shot anyway...side question, I was trying to search google for the widest tire applicable to a 10.5 width wheel but couldn't find a reliable answer. I did see a post that Nitto put up that they wouldn't recommend their 315/35/20 INVO on a 10.5 wheel. Which would've made 275/40/20 (28.66 in) fronts work with the 315/35/20 (28.68 in) with only 0.02 inches difference in diameter.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
The widest tire size for 10.5" stock GTR rear wheel is about 315mm.

315/35-20 does fit rims 10.5-12.5" wide with perfect fit for 11" rim.

This is not the best choice for a GTR in several respects.

For example, the BG Goodrich g-Force Rival in 315/35-20 weighs 34 lbs, tire diameter of 28.7", Using a tire taller than stock gives you less wheel gap with stock suspension but higher center of gravity and more road clearance and more weight. Larger tires raises gearing which means acceleration will be slowed for a given power, heavier tire requires more energy to move so changes in acceleration and braking are slowed. Although the effects of 0.7" seem small it would have a general negative effect on overall performance.

The Nitto Invo tire is an Ultra High Performance Summer tire more suited for a performance sedan with moderate power. It would not be able to keep up with a GTR. Keep in mind that the GTR comes with Extreme Summer tires. Replacement tires that are Max or Extreme Summer tires or UHP All season runflats like the stock Dunlop 7010 GTR tires are good choices. This is because with the power levels of the GTR and it's performance envelope the tires need to provide very high levels of grip and some tires will not keep up.

If I had to pick a Nitto tire for the GTR I'd look at-
NT05 (Max Summer tire) 275/35-20 square setup, 200 treadwear, 102 XL load rated, 27.6" tire diameter
When looking at Nitto's site look for very high dry performance, but that will be traded off for less comfort, more noise, and less treadlife
http://www.nittotire.com/Tire/nt05#size

Comparing the NT05 with Michelin Pilot Super Sport, there is no comparison. The Super Sport is worth the extra cost and in 285/35-20 fits and works better with stock suspension.
For a car like the GTR or any exotic, the quality of the tires you choose are of paramount importance. It is well worth the investment.

A word on using tires that are wider on a narrow rim. Yes the 315/35-20 will fit on the 20x10.5" rear GTR wheel, but it will limit the tire since fitment will be slightly more narrow than a perfect fit. When looking at tire size you really want a perfect fit when possible if the option exists. A wide tire on a narrow rim will not look as wide as it really is, it is limited by the rim width.

When shopping for tires, I look for the tire that suits my driving needs first, then I look at the sizes that will fit the wheels I want to use for a given car. If I am buying wheels and tires then I select the tires first, then match the wheel size that is optimal with offsets that will not rub. Appearance is secondary to function and fitment for me.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thanks again Brad, when put into terms you've mentioned it makes more sense. It's unfortunate that folks at tire shops don't know as well as they were the ones that suggested Nitto INVOs for the GTR. I guess I can't really blame them as they just work there.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Thanks again Brad, when put into terms you've mentioned it makes more sense. It's unfortunate that folks at tire shops don't know as well as they were the ones that suggested Nitto INVOs for the GTR. I guess I can't really blame them as they just work there.
They might recommend Nitto INVOs based on sizes for 20" wheels, they are popular and do come in sizes larger than 20". But they probably don't know the GTR so they were looking just to sell you something to fit and get you on your way.

Anyone can easily look up OEM tires for the GTR and see they are Extreme Summer tires, no need to look any further. Replacements must come from Max or Extreme Summer tires if non runflats. Ultra High Performance is the highest class for all season tires, can't say I know of one that will work with the GTR that is non runflat. If you must have all season then the stock Dunlop 7010 is the best choice.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts