Nissan GT-R Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
A note about tire selection for the GTR.

The owner needs to know what they want to use their GTR for whether it is just daily driving and street use, or for any performance driving on a track or at a driving event/school.

If used only on the street you can use Extreme/Max or even a good Ultra High Performance Summer/All Season tire providing it fits the wheels. But with the Ultra High Performance tires you will have much less grip so drive accordingly. Moreover, if you do drive hard, the UHP tires will not be able to keep up and may wear quicker or if tracked could chunk which is when the tread blocks overheat on the outer surface and blocks of tread are lost.

The relative advantages of an UHP tire is slightly more comfortable ride and longer treadlife and for an All Season tire, use in colder temperatures (3 seasons) or even some light snow.

Don't reply on a tire shop to know your GTR, they may not have much experience. If you replace tires with exact OEM sizes and models you'll be safe.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The widest tire size for 10.5" stock GTR rear wheel is about 315mm.

315/35-20 does fit rims 10.5-12.5" wide with perfect fit for 11" rim.

This is not the best choice for a GTR in several respects.

For example, the BG Goodrich g-Force Rival in 315/35-20 weighs 34 lbs, tire diameter of 28.7", Using a tire taller than stock gives you less wheel gap with stock suspension but higher center of gravity and more road clearance and more weight. Larger tires raises gearing which means acceleration will be slowed for a given power, heavier tire requires more energy to move so changes in acceleration and braking are slowed. Although the effects of 0.7" seem small it would have a general negative effect on overall performance.

The Nitto Invo tire is an Ultra High Performance Summer tire more suited for a performance sedan with moderate power. It would not be able to keep up with a GTR. Keep in mind that the GTR comes with Extreme Summer tires. Replacement tires that are Max or Extreme Summer tires or UHP All season runflats like the stock Dunlop 7010 GTR tires are good choices. This is because with the power levels of the GTR and it's performance envelope the tires need to provide very high levels of grip and some tires will not keep up.

If I had to pick a Nitto tire for the GTR I'd look at-
NT05 (Max Summer tire) 275/35-20 square setup, 200 treadwear, 102 XL load rated, 27.6" tire diameter
When looking at Nitto's site look for very high dry performance, but that will be traded off for less comfort, more noise, and less treadlife
http://www.nittotire.com/Tire/nt05#size

Comparing the NT05 with Michelin Pilot Super Sport, there is no comparison. The Super Sport is worth the extra cost and in 285/35-20 fits and works better with stock suspension.
For a car like the GTR or any exotic, the quality of the tires you choose are of paramount importance. It is well worth the investment.

A word on using tires that are wider on a narrow rim. Yes the 315/35-20 will fit on the 20x10.5" rear GTR wheel, but it will limit the tire since fitment will be slightly more narrow than a perfect fit. When looking at tire size you really want a perfect fit when possible if the option exists. A wide tire on a narrow rim will not look as wide as it really is, it is limited by the rim width.

When shopping for tires, I look for the tire that suits my driving needs first, then I look at the sizes that will fit the wheels I want to use for a given car. If I am buying wheels and tires then I select the tires first, then match the wheel size that is optimal with offsets that will not rub. Appearance is secondary to function and fitment for me.
👍🏿👍🏿

21 - 22 of 22 Posts