Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I bought a new GT-R and broke it in, then went on a track day at Road Atlanta, (about 5 miles away) would it void my warranty fully, if not, which parts would be void if even if they would be?

·
GoldMember
1,086 Posts
Break in is not necessary for GTR's according to Nissan.

As long as the track day is a HPDE (High Performance Driving Event) and not a competition then all is good.

·
Founder/Admin
26,232 Posts
there is no distinction between HPDE and any other off road activity in nissans eyes. There was wording for the 2009's that included this but quickly changed for 2010 and up.

However just the act [background=rgb(246, 246, 246)]tracking or doing anything off road will not "void" your warranty in itself. Its just like any other warranty clause.... if the cause of the damage is determined to have been from doing that then the specific repair will not be warranted. So you go out there and hit a dip and mess up the suspension or damage the car in some way of course you cant expect that to be warranted. [/background]

[background=rgb(246, 246, 246)] Nissan is a lot more concerned with how you drive it than where. For instance driving with VDC off trying to do doughnuts on a skid pad in your tuned car is far more of a warranty issue than putting in some a few laps in R mode at your local track[/background]

[background=rgb(246, 246, 246)]it really is common sense[/background][background=rgb(246, 246, 246)] [/background]

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
with most things in life, there isn't a 100% answer. It all depends on your dealer (service manager) & even nissan itself. They could deny any claim and say it was from abuse or they could warranty the part/labor. Its all a crap shoot. Of course if denied you can bring nissan to arbitration and the burden of proof that the broken part was due to abuse or modification would be on Nissan.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just read the PDF of the warranty booklet, and it is crazy. No VDC off for launch control, and no track days. So stupid Nissan, why so strict?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
No track days? What about Nissan sponsored track days? I went to laguna seca last year and still had my original warranty replace my trans...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No idea about Nissan sposored ones, though. But for sure, I am calling 1-800-CHOKE-DAT-HOE on the HPDE issue!

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
No track days? What about Nissan sponsored track days? I went to laguna seca last year and still had my original warranty replace my trans...
Because, as stated above, if the damage was not believed to have occurred because of the track event, specifically, there is no warranty issue.

I can track my car for 150 days on a road course, then drive home and break something. If the damage could not be linked directly linked to my track use, that piece should be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
No idea about Nissan sposored ones, though. But for sure, I am calling 1-800-CHOKE-DAT-HOE on the HPDE issue!
Hah! Nice...

·
Premium Member
12,530 Posts
Running your new GT-R on track with RRR mode engaged will not jeopardize your warranty. You should have no fear of taking your car on track, with respect to the Nissan. Just keep the car on the track surface and you'll good.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Many of you have this wrong. The Manuel spells out specific maintenance requirements if you engage in 'circuit driving.' This is dominated by temps run up in the tranny, engine and coolant. Go over the temps at the track and maintenance is required, here dominated by fluid changes but also to include a heightened awareness of all 'consumables.' The GTR was built for the track and the warranty is good if you follow their rules. And if you don't take it to the track, you'll never know the reason they call it Godzilla. Truly amazing.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Because, as stated above, if the damage was not believed to have occurred because of the track event, specifically, there is no warranty issue.

I can track my car for 150 days on a road course, then drive home and break something. If the damage could not be linked directly linked to my track use, that piece should be covered under warranty.
A lot of times issues are found after tracking, because it is then when your car is pushed. I think warranty is granted case by case and each situation is different...

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
A lot of times issues are found after tracking, because it is then when your car is pushed. I think warranty is granted case by case and each situation is different...
True. It could also fail while backing out of McDonald's after the track event. It really does depend on the failed component and the conditions of the vehicle at the time of the failure.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Personal experience: Got a 2010, tracked it 5 or 6 times, transmission failed *on track*, flatbedded to the dealer... new transmission covered under warranty. Traded it in for a 2013, tracked it 3 times, during the 1-year POS an oil leak was discovered by the dealer... new transmission covered under warranty.

Maybe I just got lucky (well, unlucky to have had 2 transmission failures in 2 years). Or maybe it's because I follow the user's manual to the letter--I don't turn off VDC (I track with R-R-R), I don't launch, I don't drag-race, and I don't mod (except for the brakes). I even run OEM fluids (again, except for the brakes).

Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Personal experience: Got a 2010, tracked it 5 or 6 times, transmission failed *on track*, flatbedded to the dealer... new transmission covered under warranty. Traded it in for a 2013, tracked it 3 times, during the 1-year POS an oil leak was discovered by the dealer... new transmission covered under warranty.

Maybe I just got lucky (well, unlucky to have had 2 transmission failures in 2 years). Or maybe it's because I follow the user's manual to the letter--I don't turn off VDC (I track with R-R-R), I don't launch, I don't drag-race, and I don't mod (except for the brakes). I even run OEM fluids (again, except for the brakes).

Good luck!
which dealer did u deal with in ca?

·
R35 Owner
391 Posts
My dealer made it very clear, "Nothing voids the warranty." Driving on a track, putting mods on, adding stuff, ripping stuff out, does not "Void" the warranty. What it does change is whether a certain failure will be covered under the warranty. If you ran with the VCD off and did a launch on a tune and the tranny broke, they likely will not replace it. But if you are driving with the VCD off, while on a track, abusing the brakes and your AC fails, they will likely still fix the AC. Your warranty wasn't voided.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts