Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 841 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to start a new thread that keeps track of GTR owners who switch to WILLALL WR35TM.

I'm thinking about it even though I am under warranty and have not (to my knowledge) voided my warranty.

Here's my thought process.

If I use the OEM fluid and operate the vehicle as per the owners manual then I don't believe that I will experience a transmission failure during the warranty period. However, by doing so I will increase the likelihood of a failure outside of the warranty period because the transmission will experince excessive wear and tear.

If I switch to WR35TM and operate the vehicle as per the owners manual then, again, I believe I will not experience a failure during the warranty period BUT I will reduce the likelihood of a failure outside of the warranty period since the wear and tear will be significantly reduced.

So, I'd like to know who is planning on switching and if you are thinking about this the way I am.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Are there any warranty implications by switching? I don't want to void my warranty by switching.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I will as soon as it is available in the states. It's quite obvious that in order for Nissan to get the car in at the price they wanted it to be at, they cheeped out on some things. Trans fluid absolutely being one of those.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
im sure this was mentioned but where can you buy the trans oil?
Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have ordered 10 liters. Would someone recommend a lab to replicate the tests Martin documented in the other thread? I want to know this is adding life to the trans and there is a reduction in metal particles in the fluid. If someone can propose other useful tests, including temp measurements I'm open to suggestions (sorry no LC use).

And screw the warrantee, I want my trans to still be working at 100K miles vs. breaking just after the power-train warrantee is expired. This is just me and I know others will think I'm nuts for changing the fluids but I'll be happy to share the results so we can all benefit. Worst case I'm out 1 transmission, I can deal with that.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And screw the warrantee, I want my trans to still be working at 100K miles vs. breaking just after the power-train warrantee is expired. This is just me and I know others will think I'm nuts for changing the fluids but I'll be happy to share the results so we can all benefit. Worst case I'm out 1 transmission, I can deal with that.
My sentiments exactly. I don't doubt that the OEM fluid will result in the tranny lasting 5yrs/60k. But what about after that period expires? If we can deploy a fluid that prolongs that life span with no or minimal downside on performance then why wouldn't you switch?

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
My sentiments exactly. I don't doubt that the OEM fluid will result in the tranny lasting 5yrs/60k. But what about after that period expires? If we can deploy a fluid that prolongs that life span with no or minimal downside on performance then why wouldn't you switch?
Seeing how particular and restrictive Nissan has been about everything I would like to see something happen where Nissan allows us to use this fluid. If so and it is proven to work long term then I'll be on board as well.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just visited my Nissan tech. Says this will void the trans warranty immediately. So now I need to make a decision
No surprise there. So this means if you do go down this road you'll need to either accept that the warranty is void or try and replace the WILLALL with the original fluid before taking it in for service. Tough call. I honestly don'y know which way to go at this point.

It pisses me off that Nissan puts owners in this predicament. They should analyze the WILLALL oil and certify it or reject it and provide scientific reasons for their rejection if that is what they choose to do.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Just visited my Nissan tech. Says this will void the trans warranty immediately. So now I need to make a decision
My service manager asked Nissan about a mid pipe and their response was "Any modification can void the warranty." So I guess my car's warranty is in jeopardy since I put clear corners on it... In the tranny fluid's case I could see a more credible argument about and transmission's failure being due to unapproved transmission fluid. If you put the wrong transmission fluid in your Altima the warranty can be denied as well.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Are there any warranty implications by switching? I don't want to void my warranty by switching.
If your trans fails, then I'd say yes Nissan will not cover the replacement of the transmission.

What we really need to confirm is if the fluid alone is the reason why the LC/extreme usage is producing the gear failures. If this is the case, I'd switch immediately. If it isn't then I'll be on my own if the gears get ripped apart. Something to think about.

·
Registered
60 Posts
the following is extracted from a post on iwsti.com. to read the MAGNUSON MOSS WARRANTY ACT, go here:

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/warranty-servi...y-warranty.html

Will installing it void my warranty?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are reading this, you probably have been referred here after asking the infamous question, "Will installing [insert modification] void my warranty?" That is a good question and one that depends on the circumstances. This thread is designed to help educate you about your legal rights when it comes to modifying your vehicle and your warranty.

------------
This thread is sponsored by the Donating Members & Platinum Members whose contributions help keep the lights on here at www.imprezawrxsti.com as well as provide for its future expansion. We thank you! If you would like to contribute to become a member with special benefits, you can see the benefits and donate by following this link:

----------------------------
All too frequently the question is raised: Will the installation of this void my warranty? Usually the person asking this question gets a very short answer to their question. Unfortunately, one statement is too brief to truly provide a helpful or meaningful answer. Rather than trying to tell you what I think is the answer, I am providing the law below that defines your legal rights with respect to the installation and use of aftermarket parts and how such installation and use might affect your original vehicle manufacturer's warranty. I think people give this issue short shrift and hope this will serve a useful purpose to those wondering whether that downpipe will actually void my warranty like the dealer so vehemently warns.

When you know your rights, you will be in a position to tactfully educate whomever tries to tell you your warranty has been or will be voided simply because you install some aftermarket part. Dealers and some manufacturers have used scare tactics. Even blanket statements that performing any modifications to the vehicle voids the manufacturers may be invalid. The point is you should know the law. If you have not taken time to read up on the issue, I strongly recommend doing so when you get a chance. One morning, grab some coffee and pull up a chair and read this because it just might come in handy when the dealer tries to wrongfully deny you warranty coverage.

------

We continue to receive a number of inquiries from customers regarding
MAGNUSON MOSS WARRANTY ACT
US Code - Title 15, Chapter 50, Sections 2301-2312
US Code - Title 15, Chapter 50, Sections 2301-2312

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure in the vehicle (per the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302©).
If your vehicle manufacturer fails to honor emission/warranty claims, contact EPA at (202) 260-2080 or www.epa.gov. If federal warranty protection is denied, contact the FTC at (202) 326-3128 or www.ftc.gov.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I would use Pentosin FFL-4. Years and years of research to design factory fill for VW's first DCT (FFL-2 fluid) and then onto FFL-3 fluid for Porsche and finally the latest generation fluid which is factory fill for the new M3's DCT. Can't beat years of research by a company full of laboratories who only makes automotive fluids under contract from some of the world's best automotive manufacturers. PhD guy I discussed this with has worked for over 25 years in the labs at Pentosin and he led the design on the fluid for VW and he continues work onto the newest latest fluids.

1 - 20 of 841 Posts