Nissan GT-R Forum banner

Winter set

6K views 47 replies 23 participants last post by  M O N S T E R 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have 2012 BE, live in Boston.

GTR is my first car with run flat tires and first car that I actually need to go get a winter set. (Dealer told me stock tires on BE won't be any good on snow)

I've been thinking, and these are my options that I came up with:

-Get new rims and tires

-Get just the winter tires and put them on my stock wheels
(I heard the process of putting on/off run flat tires on the wheel is difficult/bad for the rims and tires??)

-Just run with the stock tires through the winter. (Is this bad idea?)

What do you guys think? which one is the way to go? or are there any other options??

#2 ·
I'm in the same boat.

From what I understand the stock performance tires will crack under a certain temp (freezing?). I also learned that re-mounting performance run flats is not a good idea. I don't remember specifics but it has something to do with them not sealing as well the second time and not trusting them up-to the speed they were originally certified for.

I'm going to get new rims and blizzak tires. Or park the car for the winter.

#4 ·
Leave your stock rims and tires alone with TPMS intact.

Other than garaging your GTR in the winter and driving something else like a beater winter car that costs the same as a set of winter wheels and tires,

Check out tirerack.com

You can get stock sized rims and winter runflats with no TPMS or not. Use them in the winter and put the stock runflats back on in the spring.

You can also check out vividracing.com or tirerack.com for 19" wheels a little less wide than stock wheels and put on winter performance non runflat tires with or without TPMS. Should work fine.

Anytime you have a different set of wheels with TPMS you have to reset the TPMS for the GTR- dealership only work.

#6 ·
You must put winter tires on for winter.

I live in a very wintery part of the world, and plan to drive the GTR all year. I am putting Blizzak LM25's (from Tirerack) on the stock rims. I'll spend much of the winter researching and purchasing a different summer setup, entirely.

If you are happy with the OEM wheels year round, you can probably find a set of used ones on this site, and put the the winter tires on those. This would be a much more economical approach (compared the one I plan to embark upon).

Good luck!

#10 ·
PlushBear, I live in Natick and commuted to Boston daily in the GT-R last winter and can tell you the Blizzaks are worth every penny in the snow storms we had last season!

Got my set at Wheel Dynamix in Natick and a set of GT30s -- which I actually used as winter rims the first year I had the car as I didn't drive it -- then switched the GT30s to summer and use the stock rims for winter...

-=- mf

#11 ·
I've been considering winter driving my car but the idea of salt corrosion made me turn away. What are your guys' opinions on salt? Are you worried about that at all?

#12 ·
I don't like to drive in winter general, but salt is the main reason.

However, I doubt that salt will play major role deteriorating the car's condition, so I used to just take the car for a undercarriage washes, but now with GTR, I'm not sure if it will go though the automated wash (I've never driven a car as low as GTR, so im worried about scraping the side skirt, wheels and what not)

anyone know a good place to get undercarriage wash without risking damaging that paint, car it self and the wheel?

#14 ·
Thank you for sharing your experience!! but I'm not sure if I want to drive my GTR this winter.....

but I'm not sure if I have a choice as my other car has lots of issues

I don't like to drive in winter general, but salt is the main reason.

However, I doubt that salt will play major role deteriorating the car's condition, so I used to just take the car for a undercarriage washes, but now with GTR, I'm not sure if it will go though the automated wash (I've never driven a car as low as GTR, so im worried about scraping the side skirt, wheels and what not)

anyone know a good place to get undercarriage wash without risking damaging that paint, car it self and the wheel?
My last car was an inch lower than the GTR, and I took it through the "touchless" automatic carwashes. Never any issues. I usually go to the wand-washes though

#17 ·
Winter tires. Plus GTR is too valuable to drive in the winter with all the elements.

#18 ·
I agree that it's valuable, so I look at it the opposite way. This was a lot of money for me to spend on a car for sure. This is why I want to drive it ALL YEAR! I hate the idea of dropping that kind of cash on a vehicle and only driving it for half the year (and driving some crappy car the rest of the year). Apparently, the GTR is a blast to drive in the Winter....I'm looking forward to it!

Of course, my wife does have an MDX, so, if it's truly blizzard-like, I'll be borrowing that....likely fewer than 10-15 days per season.

#20 ·
Your best bet is either buy another set of rims with blizzaks mounted or buy blizzaks tires mount to your OEM rims and purchase a new set of rims reusing your stock tires. I'm in the same boat where I live our winters are like 7-9 months long with alot of snow. I'm putting blizzaks on my stock rims and getting new rims for the summer.

#21 ·
Winter tires on the stock 20 inch wheels is a huge waste of money. You.ll still slide around because of how wide the tire is.

If you intend on driving your GTR in the snow (which isnt a bad idea), I'd suggest buying a set of 18's that clear the calipers and getting a set of taller skinnier snow tires to fit.

#27 ·
There are several Threads in this forum addressing this issue. You want to stay close to stock diameter in order to get an accurate speedo reading. Otherwise, the important thing is to make sure your front and rears are within 0.5inches of each other. From my reading, it's if there is a larger than 0.5inch difference, THEN the VDC will be thrown off. This is a good site for info on different tires/diameters.

These threads have a fair amt of info.....

Thread 1
Thread 2

#28 ·
I have a set of Forgestar CF5s in 18" which would clear the OEM calipers in stock. Its a solid set of winter wheels with strong finish.

#29 ·
I am using the Blizzak's on my GTR. Just picked up a set from TireRack today. Be careful where you get them mounted. The GTR is of course a very special car with very special wheels and tires. I waited 3 hours at a tire shop to be told that this is the first car they cant put tires on. Had to go to the Nissan GTR dealer and leave them the car to pick up tomorrow. The tire place told me $150 for the tire swap and were scared to do it. Nissan is charging $300, 4 hours labor at $75. They say it is a bitch to change these tires and that they have to have special tire tool attachments to get the job done. The beeds are a son of a gun to pop and must be done right.

I have a winter car too, nice SUV, but love to drive my GTR all the time. I have been to Boreal Ski six times to ski already this year (I Live in Lake Tahoe). GTR is awesome. Have you seen the Jon Ollsen Car http://www.jon-olsson.com/?p=3543 . He is a professional Swiss skier that drives a GTR and Lambo in winter with custom ski racks.

I can't wait to pick up my car tomorrow. Any other skier/boarders that drive their GTR in the snow, please let us know.

#37 ·
Jon Olsson is actually from Sweden ;)

OnT: I would not use my GT-R during winter. Mainly because I care too much about the car. My previous Evo X did not look too healty underneath. Anyhow, IF I would drive it during winter, my choice would be 18" wheels with the narrowest possible tires.

#33 ·
I had the OEM Blizzaks put on two weeks ago. Unfortunately, one scratch on one of the front rims. :-(

We have a fair amount of snow in Winnipeg already, with -10C to -15C lately, and I've been very happy with the handling. The VDC rarely comes on, even with moderate acceleration. The GTR handles much better than my wife's Acura MDX (all seasons) in the snow. Right after our next big snowfall, I want to find a nice large parking lot to really test 'er out..... ;-)

#34 ·
Nice talking to you today Ken. I think we got this resolved.

#40 ·
This is my 3rd winter through the car using stock wheels and blizzaks, nothing compares to the performance of snow tires, have an escalade with all seasons, definately don't feel as comfortable in that than in my GT-R

#41 ·
I agree. Snow tires are mandatory in Québec anyway but it will be more efficient with 19'' compared to 20'' so i'm trying to find out the combo to go all around on 19''. Searched a lot, lots of threads but not a lot concerning 19'' winter tires in a square config

#42 ·
CoOISIY,
I have daily-driven my GTR all winter in Winnipeg on the stock 20inch rims with Blizzaks. They have been excellent. I drive not only safely but with some "spirited" driving and no issues. I understand the concept of smaller wheels and larger sidewalls, but you won't be disappointed going with the OEM sizes.

#43 ·
blizzaks vs sottozero tires?

Has anyone found a nice set of 18's that will fit the gtr with snow tires? What would be the ideal size tire for an 18" diameter?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.