Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Possibly storing in a freezing climate.

Pull the battery out or trickle charger?(quality charger already purchased)

Seafoam in the gas and run the car?

Adjustment to coolant ratio?

Fabric softener sheets inside the car?

Cover obviously.

Start occasionally or no.

Miss anything?

Sent from my iPhone using GT-R Life mobile app

Sent from my iPhone using GT-R Life mobile app

· Registered
2,018 Posts
hey man where are you located?

I went through this entire ordeal last year and I learnt a few things.
I did not have access to a power outlet at my storage facility unfortunately, so I let the car sit there. To my surprise within 4 weeks the battery was completely dead, to the point where I couldn't even unlock the doors. Since you have a battery tender this wont be a problem for you, but needless to say I definitely recommend connecting it.

The consensus from the forum was to change the oil before you put the car away to avoid any sedimentation. Everyone also seemed to agree that I would be better off not starting the car due to the fact that water and condensation will form in the lines and in the engine resulting in more damage than good.

I also added fuel stabilizer right before i put the car away.

Here's a thread I created last year -- It may help a little. http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/105718-winter-storage-question/page__fromsearch__1

Let me know if you have any more questions!

· Banned
1,197 Posts
I am storing the car this winter as well.

This is my little to do list for storage.

-Fresh Oil change/Filter
-Car wash/detail (Don't have too)
-Full tank of gas with Startron Fuel stabilizer
-Battery Tender and extension cord
-Race Ramps (so i wont get flat spots)
-Bedsheet/comforters as covers
-silica gel pack in trunk/cabin and windows down slightly

I don't know if i should start it or just leave it based on what people are saying though.

· Registered
1,333 Posts
I agree with most things here,fresh oil,full tank of gas.Never have i used a stabilizer running regular gas but after switching to E85 i`ll take no chances and use one. My CTEK 7,0 is connected up all the time and takes care of the battery. A little extra pressure in the tires. Never had a problem with flat spots and i`ve used this method for the last four years. Never start the car and it has fired up directly in spring when winter storage has ended (roughly 6 month) My car is stored in dry conditions and i`ve not had a single problem. That`s it nothing more you don`t need to complicate things.

· Registered
1,934 Posts
Looks like I will need to do some of this as well - deploying for 90 days in about 3 weeks. Plan is to up my tire pressures a bit, top off the tank with 91, and disconnect the negative battery terminal. Car will be in my own garage (not temp controlled, but walls are at least insulated).

Any additional recommendations for just a 3-month duration?

· Registered
3,767 Posts
perhaps a silly question but why wouldn't you want to start the car? in winter months where it's too icy to drive the car I make a strong effort to crank her up twice a week.
Starting the car and letting it sit does nothing.....if your gonna start it it needs to be driven....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

· Registered
2,018 Posts
Starting the car and letting it sit does nothing.....if your gonna start it it needs to be driven....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
the only reason I was thinking of doing it was to charge the battery up as I didnt have access to an outlet of the facility I used but the consensus from the forum was that it was better to just let the battery die as starting it would cause condensation buildup within the engine, exhaust etc.

· Registered
189 Posts
This is very interesting, all the do's and don'ts. First of all get a Battery Tender....you can buy them locally at most discount auto parts stores and over the internet. The 'net price is around $60. They have a 10 year warranty and they do stand behind it....I had one go bad at about 8 years old and they replaced it with a brand new one, the latest model (mikeydiker shows one, above). Fill it with hi test gas, no need for fuel stabilizer the fuel tank is not metal and you won't get any condensation. Change the oil and filter. Air up the tires to 35psi, all around and drive the car up on plywood (3/4" is fine), preferably with carpet pieces on top of the plywood (keeps the tires from flat spotting). Prop the wiper blades up so they don't lay on the windshield. Clean the car, cover it and put a couple of trays of DCON mouse killer pellets under the car (under the engine, especially....mice love chewing on wires). Hook up the Battery Tender (trickle chargers don't have the electronis that a B/T hasit continuous ly monitors your battery's voltage and shuts off and turns on by itself...and it has lights on it so you know what it's doing), cover the car....and pray for an early Spring!

· R35 Owner
391 Posts
DON'T store it. DO drive it all winter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.