Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to find a set of winter tires that will fit on the stock 2021 wheels. Tirerack comes up empty and my local tire shop doesn't have anything that will work either.

Is there a different size I should try to look for vs the 255/40/20 and 285/35/20?

I'm sure I could get different rims and make the search easier, but I'd prefer to keep the stock rims with my winters and go with Advans or something for the summers.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
OK, lots of options but none or few with OEM tire sizes.

Next best is to consider non runflat 285/35-20 on both front and rear rims, it will fit but is a little wide on the fronts so OEM suspension works best for winter use.

If you go to tire rack and search winter tires and 285/35-20 you will find -

Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 gets some good owner reivews.
Tire rack review-
Costs much less than winter runflats which are also an option
If you want to consider this tire with a more narrow front tire size it is possible to use 245/40-20 which fits rims 8-9.5" wide, perfect for 8.5" wide rim. tire diam. 27.7" which is 0.2" smaller than 27.9" for 285/35-20 which will work OK.
Benefit of more narrow tire in snow is it cuts through better but it is small for the OEM 9.5" wide rim, however it will fit and work. If weather is dry don't push this tire much on streets as grip will be much less vs wide 285/35-20 tire size if used on front wheels.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, lots of options but none or few with OEM tire sizes.

Next best is to consider non runflat 285/35-20 on both front and rear rims, it will fit but is a little wide on the fronts so OEM suspension works best for winter use.

If you go to tire rack and search winter tires and 285/35-20 you will find -

Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 gets some good owner reivews.
Tire rack review-
Costs much less than winter runflats which are also an option
If you want to consider this tire with a more narrow front tire size it is possible to use 245/40-20 which fits rims 8-9.5" wide, perfect for 8.5" wide rim. tire diam. 27.7" which is 0.2" smaller than 27.9" for 285/35-20 which will work OK.
Benefit of more narrow tire in snow is it cuts through better but it is small for the OEM 9.5" wide rim, however it will fit and work. If weather is dry don't push this tire much on streets as grip will be much less vs wide 285/35-20 tire size if used on front wheels.
Perfect ty! Going to order the Sottozero 3s with a square setup and make it simple.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've run Sottozeros in stock sizes for years on my car. 8 inches of snow isn't really a problem. Plowed highway snow is good for 60-70MPH.

I've got 14k miles on them of daily winter only driving in an area that gets 250+ inches of snow a year.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I've run the blizzaks and the sottozeros. Both in stock sizes and both are killer in the snow. The blizzaks are a bit rougher riding since they are runflat and they are also pricier than the pirellis, I think a bit better overall as well.

·
LiMiTLeSs
3,224 Posts
Trying to find a set of winter tires that will fit on the stock 2021 wheels. Tirerack comes up empty and my local tire shop doesn't have anything that will work either.

Is there a different size I should try to look for vs the 255/40/20 and 285/35/20?

I'm sure I could get different rims and make the search easier, but I'd prefer to keep the stock rims with my winters and go with Advans or something for the summers.
I have a set of almost new blizzaks in OEM sizes on OEM rims that I may list for sale as I don't ever see myself ever using these winter tires as I'm so far into build it's becoming a car that i'll only drive on weekends in the summer along car shows the rest of the time it will be strictly a garage queen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts