Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as of a couple of years ago, most CA smog stations no longer have the sniffer or dyno - just a visual and they plug in a cable on the OBD2 port.

So, for you FBO guys... When the time comes, can you leave in your big injectors/pumps and downpipes.. replace the midpipe with the stock midpipe, and flash a more conservative tune so that this setup actually runs properly... and then go in for the smog check?

As long as CELs are suppressed and the tech doesn't SEE anything, the car should pass, no?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes and no, a lot of it really depends on the tune. Bigger injectors and downpipes can still trigger pending codes even if you don't have a CEL on which can cause you to fail. But if you get it dialed in correctly to the point where the ECU doesn't notice the difference in parts on the car you can get it to pass that way.

I've smogged a few cars with big turbos, different intercoolers, upgraded fuel pumps and injectors etc. The only one that really gave me issues passing with a built STi, kept throwing system to rich codes even with a very mild tune. I had to swap the injectors and intake to get it to play nice with the ECU.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
$$$$

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I herd that if the car has anything except a stock tune they will plug into it and will come up as "not ready". Automatic fail. Anyone else herd this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I herd that if the car has anything except a stock tune they will plug into it and will come up as "not ready". Automatic fail. Anyone else herd this?
You can pass minotors with a aftermarket tune without issues. the issues arise if you have a catless downpipe and you turn off the CEL for cat performance in ATR with cobb etc. the minotor will never clear and it comes back as not ready. So it really depends on the tune and tuner. My experience is with COBB, I'm not sure about some of the other tuners or ECUS.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I've had good luck in the past with putting anti-foulers on the rear O2 sensors. My plan is to put a set of anti-foulers on the rear O2s, switch back on those monitors and put my stock midpipe on with a neutered map.

I've got about 7 months to figure it out...

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is just a simple tax that happens to be higher than before on these new OBDII smogs. Make friends with the right people and all is solved!

·
Registered
823 Posts
The only remaining question I'd have is whether or not the midpipe would suffice for visual with catless DPs on the car. All of my monitors are up and ready. Even stock I can't imagine that the tech would crawl under the car to check for the primary cats.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I'll be needeing a smog for the first time in a few months. I sold my SBD DP's and went back to stock DP's. I'm wondering if I'll pass leaving everything else in... Also, what if I kept E85 in?

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I'll be needeing a smog for the first time in a few months. I sold my SBD DP's and went back to stock DP's. I'm wondering if I'll pass leaving everything else in... Also, what if I kept E85 in?
An aftermarket midpipe typically won't pass the visual portion if they check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Who is gonna crawl under my car and see my down pipes ? I have a smog guy that would overlook the visual aspect.what are the odds my Visconti tune will pass cali smog

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Mine passed. Had dp back exhaust, injectors, ben Linney tune, intakes. The MP was a non resonated. Did a visual, plugged it in and I just hoped for the best and it passed

·
Registered
909 Posts
Chi, were you on 91 or 85?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
91. I'd throw 91 in to be safe. I'm assuming you are flex. And it's good to do now and then anyway. No clue if it has an effect or not though

·
Registered
909 Posts
Thanks dude, yeah I'm flex..... I should be due soon..... Hope it works out or I'll have to find that special smog check guy...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts