Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In all honesty any car is faster than another depending on how much money and dedication you have to making it faster in a straight line. My friend claims that a GT 500 with just a pulley and tune will beat a GTR in a straight line starting at freeway speeds (Approx 50-60mph). I have yet to race one because the few I have seen are not interested in racing. What is the real outcome of a race like this? (2011 GTR with simple mods) Exhaust, mid pipe, and intake (no tune or Cobb AP)

·
<"))))><
3,706 Posts
You would win by a large margin with a tune.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
We have a Shelby GT500 with 18 PSI, aftermarket supercharger, 650 rwhp and he has trapped 132 mph (he says), but he could only muster 124 mph today and last friday in the heat. Your car will trap around 120 mph, so it will be close. Race him the in the heat if you want to win!

·
<"))))><
3,706 Posts
Aftermarket supercharger is very different from a pulley and a tune.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My friend claims a GT500 with just a pulley and tune will always pull away from MY GTR (exhaust, mid-pipe, and intake, NO tune or Cobb AP) in a freeway battle. (50mph roll-on) I'm curious myself. Thanks for the replies so far

·
<"))))><
3,706 Posts
Honestly, with just those bolt-ons and no tune/ap your GT-R may be making less power than stock (I believe I remember from a previous post that you have sensitivities around warrany issues). Bench racing is always tough but my guess would be that you would both start in boost from that speed and it may actually be close. If you were to tune your car, I do no think it would be a the Ford would be competitive.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WOW...just 15 more HP?! (Stillen exhaust, AAM mid pipe, AAM 2.75 intake). I thought I'd be closer to 30-40 over stock.
I really really want a Cobb AP with tune but I am frightened about warranty issues. Last thing I want is to have a costly failure not covered even though my tunes aren't the culprit.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
the new gt500s with a tune and pulley are undoubtedly quick and that's coming from personal experience and not youtube videos. having said that, with the mods you currently have, it would definitely be a close one. i think at a higher speed he may slightly pull a car or car in a half ahead...

(to everyone else, dont shoot the messenger. this is just a predicition)

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting...I hear the Gt500 has poor aerodynamics at higher speeds compared to our GTRs. Does our aerodynamics help at higher speeds (triple digits)?

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Interesting...I hear the Gt500 has poor aerodynamics at higher speeds compared to our GTRs. Does our aerodynamics help at higher speeds (triple digits)?
not too familiar with the aerodynamics to be honest but for reference, check out this video of a 2012 GTR (no tune catback only) vs a GT500 with similar mods that you mentioned:

obviously the 2012 is noticeably quicker then the pre 2012 models. this will give you a good piece of mind.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Ive had both. My GT500 made 700rwhp w/only kenne bell, every thing else stock. Problem was it still had a total CRAP suspension. From a dig they can't get out of their own way. From a ROLL is a different story. Mine was crazy from a roll, but only went 10.51 in the quarter w/slicks. Heavy cars....

·
Registered
396 Posts
Anyone's race from a roll, depending on tune and pulley for the gt500, mine ran 11.3 @126+ on crappy nittos. Made just over 550 to the rear on 100 octane tune.

·
<"))))><
3,706 Posts
I may be wrong, generally speaking, but my car made less horsepower with intakes and an HKS midpie (without a tune) than it did stock. I dont think tests really support a significant gain from an exhaust which I did not have. After a tune with downpipes I am 525whp on a dyno dynamics. The tune made a ~130whp difference. Let me know if you want the charts for reference.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Perhaps a big difference, but I run my friends gt500 regularly from all speeds. He has a pulley/tune/full/filters/full exhaust. I have midpipe/cobb/coolers/wastegate arms.

From a dig there is no contest, ever. Even with him on slicks and me on oem tires. I will pull him by over a bus to 100.

From a roll, I edge him out each time by about 2 cars at 40+, 60+, 80+

It's really not a true race. This is me running the cobb alpha tune at 15psi (I haven't tried running him at the 17psi map, it's pointless really).

But damn that thing sounds BEAUTIFUL and looks mean. I really think Nissan could have done better with the GTR from a looks perspective.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I may be wrong, generally speaking, but my car made less horsepower with intakes and an HKS midpie (without a tune) than it did stock. I dont think tests really support a significant gain from an exhaust which I did not have. After a tune with downpipes I am 525whp on a dyno dynamics. The tune made a ~130whp difference. Let me know if you want the charts for reference.
No need for the charts ATL..I believe your specific scenario but I still find it hard to believe you lost HP with mods on a turbo car that allow the turbos to breathe better. Was the Atmospheric pressure, temp, and humidity the same on both tests? Same dyno also?

Thank you for your reply

·
<"))))><
3,706 Posts
Maybe the computer wasn't given time to adjust? . . . just speculation.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Gotcha... could be? I heard it does take a few miles to readjust but that's only what I've heard.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.