Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have an opportunity to purchase a 2008 Nissan GTR R35 RHD and I wanted to, of course, get the opinions of the enthusiasts here!! =)

The car is already located and registered here in the States.

I was looking for your opinions on the Goods and Bads of purchasing a RHD GTR.

Do the aftermarket performance packages (AMS, Switzer, ect) work on the RHD GTR's??

btw: I am located in the US.

Thanks ahead of time!!

JC

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Better question is: why?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
why not?

are u in US or?
My goal would be to upgrade the performance and worry the parts may not fit the RHD.
This was the 1st year the RHD came out in 2008 and I am unaware of the potential "first year production" issues.

I updated my post to reflect my location (USA).

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Just like the older GTR's the car is will never be 100%l egal....

Seeing as it is RHD it was obviously imported at some point. Therefore none of the parts on the car are DOT approved: headlights, taillights, airbags, cats. Even though those parts may be the same as the US version they don't have DOT markings.

The car will probanly not have a 17 digit US vin number also which will make it a huge pain in the ass to register and then insure.

Trust me it is not worth all the headaches, a friend of mine had an RHD R34, and it was a great car. But with the R35 you have the option to buy a 100% legal version that will save you tons of headaches in the long run.

I might not be correct on all my info, but I'm sure Sean from stillen will chime in at some point as he is the expert on imported cars.

·
SPI Performance Consultant
2,997 Posts
There should be no issues with a RHD GTR when installing our packages, I believe we have a few already that are RHD.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Just like the older GTR's the car is will never be 100%l egal....

Seeing as it is RHD it was obviously imported at some point. Therefore none of the parts on the car are DOT approved: headlights, taillights, airbags, cats. Even though those parts may be the same as the US version they don't have DOT markings.

The car will probanly not have a 17 digit US vin number also which will make it a huge pain in the ass to register and then insure.

Trust me it is not worth all the headaches, a friend of miIe had an RHD R34, and it was a great car. But with the R35 you have the option to buy a 100% legal version that will save you tons of headaches in the long run.

I might not be correct on all my info, but I'm sure Sean from stillen will chime in at some point as he is the expert on imported cars.
I believe since the R35 is sold here in the US it's a lot easier to get a JDM car legalized then it was for the r32-r34s.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I believe since the R35 is sold here in the US it's a lot easier to get a JDM car legalized then it was for the r32-r34s.
To my understanding to make the car 100% legal basically all items on the car related to safety and emissions would have to be DOT approved. The amount that it would cost to do that would not be worth it.

The car wouldnt have any warranty either, even recalls would not be able to be performed by the dealer at no cost.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To my understanding to make the car 100% legal basically all items on the car related to safety and emissions would have to be DOT approved. The amount that it would cost to do that would not be worth it.

The car wouldnt have any warranty either, even recalls would not be able to be performed by the dealer at no cost.
I'd really like to know more about this...can anyone chime in with more detail?

Thanks for bringing this up Tom.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
To import a JDM R35 into the US would require Nissan's written confirmation that the RHD car is substantially similar to the LHD version (I highly doubt they would do that as they are already selling the R35 in the US). The importation would be illegal unless this was guaranteed and unless it was done properly through a registered importer.

You might want to read up on Sean's blog before you something and get yourself burned:
http://vehicleimport.blogspot.com/

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
I am very interested in the response to this. Wouldn't have to sell when I am relocating. Plus I would be able to modify car using the companies I know.

·
Super Moderator
3,445 Posts
Don't do it. Certain Parts for RHD r35s a SIGNIFICANTLY higher than LHD......as I'm finding out after my racing mishap. The JDM steering rack is 5K whereas the USDM one is under 2K.

·
GTR Nerd
5,335 Posts
Is it white or black? I know the cars, you might have some issues with them. Having a state registration does not exempt a car from federal requirements.

18,285 Posts
Is it white or black? I know the cars, you might have some issues with them. Having a state registration does not exempt a car from federal requirements.
Correct. I had a few friends get burned back in the day by purchasing a RHD car with a state issued VIN from another state. When they brought the cars home, they had serious issues with registration and titling.

When it comes to importing cars, there's 1 way to do it right/legally, and severally ways to do it illegally. Some of the illegal methods are "gray areas" and you'll probably be able to get the car titled/registered in your state but be prepared to deal with the consequences of owning an illegally imported vehicle. It's not worth it in my opinion.

and btw Sean, this isn't Jade. We aren't going to argue about Fueled again lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts