Nissan GT-R Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Forgive my ignorance of electronics: wouldn’t a kill switch reset your date/time every time you used it? Obviously this and keeping the car is better than losing it to theft; but just curious.
I have the 12v solutions auto start that allows allows GPS tracking

·
Registered
2013 Nissan GT-R Premium
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Forgive my ignorance of electronics: wouldn’t a kill switch reset your date/time every time you used it? Obviously this and keeping the car is better than losing it to theft; but just curious.
I have the 12v solutions auto start that allows allows GPS tracking
Depends on how you implement it:
  • A battery disconnect would reset everything! (I did find a heavy duty wireless relay that could work for this)
  • Using a relay to disconnect the starter solenoid energizing wire = no, the starter just wouldn't engage
  • Using a relay to disconnect the fuel pump = no, the car wouldn't start/run due to no fuel pressure
My car already has a fuel pump rewire on it so the above remote controlled relay seems like a quick and easy way to implement a kill switch

The 12v solutions works awesome, however it is so well known that I wouldn't count on it as it would only take a couple mins to disconnect/defeat it.

I think my strategy is going to be 'defense in depth' 2 or three systems to prevent a drive off and then one or more GPS systems to locate the car even if it is towed away.

John-

·
Registered
133 Posts
Once I started hearing about key fob cloning, I went with one of these faraday pouches. They work, nothing gets out, and it's cheap insurance. Anytime I'm at a meet or show, in the pouch they go.

Might look into a kill switch with this going on. Only a matter of time until the technique used makes it's way over here. If they get past both of those, then they can have it. Insurance will take over from there.

·
Super Moderator
9,224 Posts
Personally I would just but a hidden switch in the car that runs to the primary fuel pump fuse. It's just a simple fuse tap and a switch that once toggled off kills that circuit.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts